Official Record Stores List (help us list them)

I ran into one of the owners of Welfare Records a couple days ago. All they have left to do is price a bunch of records. He said they have more than 3x more vintage gear, records, etc. The old main room is all used/vintage gear.

He told me "about a month" til they open. They've been saying that since November, but it sounds like he is right this time!

I personally can't wait. Welfare is one of my favorites, and it's less than 2 miles away. :D

For what it's worth, I drove by there today and there were people standing outside smoking butts, with the door shut. That alone is a bonus. Hopefully no more employees ripping butts inside.

Edited by vinyl addict

On 2/4/2010 at 0:40 AM, Guest said:

Milwaukee

Rush Mor Records - http://www.rushmor.com/

Madison

B Side - http://www.b-sidemadison.com/

Ear Wax - http://www.earwaxwisconsin.com/

And there's a bunch of shops called Exclusive Company all over the state and they're all pretty nice.

Hit up several of these yesterday.

Madison also has Mad City Music exchange and Strictly Discs. Both very nice shops with 1,000s of records.

Ear Wax is a must for Metal, Death Metal, Hardcore Punk, et al. The entire store, hundreds of records. Only shop I've seen specialize like this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

www.cdvinyl4u.com

About us:

CDVinyl4U is a shop which offers high-quality CDs and LPs. We have a variety of different labels, which are known for their quality level and different formats.

CDVinyl4U inter alia provides the following formats; SACD SHM-SACD and XRCD and K2HD CDs. The record labels offering CDVinyl4U, are also prominent names; Stockfisch Recordings Original master recordings from Mobile Fidelity and Speakers Corner.

We are also much sought CDVinyl4U Audio Show and events and that the BENELUX.
This is due to our excellent service, knowledge and stock.

A number of known events where CDVinyl4U see among others are; AZ show X-fi and I, Ear and National Multimedia Event, Number One show.

If you have questions, we can be reached via email, Facebook, Twitter and of course telephone.

Contact details

Address:
Oedsmawei 18a
9001 ZJ Grou

Phone number:
+31 (0) 653 682 780

E-mail address:
[email protected]

Company:
Tax: NL2013.39.146.b02
KVK: 01131950
Rack. No .: 6553 06 NL66INGB0008
Swift code: INGBNL2A

WBT

CDVinyl4U is Importer of WBT.

WBT has been made since 1985 and is well known to consumers and manufacturers worldwide. They are known for 100% conductivity copper and silver. parts of spades, speaker connectors and RCA chassis and speaker chassis. WBT is also known for the leaded and lead-free solder.

There is a nice article on the website of hifi.nl.

Accessories

A wide range of accessories are also available in the shop of CDVinyl4U. Spikes and cones of Music Works to pads and care products such as Sound headrests Sieveking and the Gold CD-Rs are guaranteed 100 years.

Sincerely,

CDVinyl4U team.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2016 at 6:52 PM, thenameisluigi said:

Didn't see it listed on page 2 or in the search, but St. Pete has a newish (couple years now) record shop on Central Ave a little further out from downtown.

Planet Retro Records

Has a pretty sweet used selection, lots of punk/indie/metal and a pretty good mixture of new records. Used stuff is pretty reasonable and new prices are comparable if not slightly cheaper than Daddy Kool. I still check out Daddy Kool every now and then but they're used selection is pretty small in comparison to Planet Retro.

Planet Retro was awful when I went. 
I drove up from Miami to check out Polyenso and Tides of Man in Ybor City a few months ago.
My favorite record shops there were definitely Banana's Music (not the main store) and Daddy Kool (They have probably one of the best new selections - They even had a ton of Frank Ocean bootlegs, I picked up Nostalgia, Ultra).
I went to Micro Groove and Planet Retro and really disliked both of them due to my personal taste.

EDIT: MISQUOTE - WAS ALSO QUOTING THE WE GOT THE BEATS, RADIO ACTIVE COMMENT AS WELL.

On 2/10/2016 at 9:25 AM, vinyl addict said:

Did they have any 10,000 days Bootlegs? I can't find one without buying online and they all want $40+

Yes! Here in 'Miami' we've got Sweat Records, Museo Del Disco, Brooklyn Vintage and Vinyl, Yesterday and Today's records (disgustingly overpriced) and I believe the Musicians Discount Center also sells vinyl but I must admit We Got The Beats (my favorite of all) and Radio Active are the best South Florida record stores. I wouldn't even consider Vinyl Asylum a record store.

I just came back from a road trip with my fiancee, hehe, proposed to her on the trip! (I know no one cares, just wanted to insert it)
These are the stores I checked out.

Orlando:
- Park Ave CD's (good new selection, okay used selection. Over priced used 'rare' variants.)

New Orleans:
- Disko Obscura (phenomenal electronic new selection, okay used selection but the owner Joey, who also works with Wax Works, is a great guy. Small world, he is good friends with Adam Gerstein from Gramps and Mickey from Psychic Mirrors/Cosmic Chronic)
- Peaches Records (great new selection, used selection was okay but I noticed they wanted $50 for Chocolate Milk's Friction)
- NOLA Mix (Used hip hop, funk, and soul records only. I didn't come across anything special) 

Austin, TX:
- End Of An Ear (One of my favorites on this trip. They had video game soundtracks and Holodeck Releases along with a synth wave section and a great soundtrack section. They also had a great local and international section.)
- Waterloo (Ridiculous amounts of everything. I had already purchased close to 25 records from Peaches, End of an Ear and Disko Obscura so I didn't want to buy anything I could get online cheaper but they had a phenomenal selection. They had a black first pressing of TREOS - The Earth Sings... which I thought was pretty cool - $50 though. I bought a new second pressing on on ebay for $18 including shipping that same day after I realized I wouldnt find it cheaper than that.)

Waco, TX.
- Spin Connection (The only record store in this ghost town although Moroso Wood Fired Pizza and Magnolia were great. Probably the only 2 things to do there aside from eating BBQ, which is not my thing. Because no one goes here, I don't even know how they stay afloat in this small town. They barely have new records and mainly focus on used. I found Chocolate Milks Friction for $15, Chocolate Milk's Blue Jeans for $5 and Paul Hardcastle's Chrysalis for $5, the fiancee bought 2 soundtracks as well. I already have Midnight Star's Planetary Invasion and thought about buying it again for $10 just because it was still factory sealed with the hype sticker although I was bummed it had a hole punch. I sorta regret it now, but I didn't buy it so whoever buys it can enjoy it.) FOR WHATEVER REASON, IF YOU ARE A CRATE DIGGING LOVING MACHINE AND FIND YOURSELF IN WACO. GO HERE, YOU'LL ACTUALLY FIND COOL STUFF. 

Nashville:
Grimey's (The only store I went to in Nashville. Considering they have thousands and thousand of instagram followers I was extremely dissapointed with their selection of new records. I didn't have time to browse their used much but of course, they typical  Led Zeppelin, Doorsy kind of used record store vibe. Eh, not for me.)

This is all subjective of course.
I'm more of a video game/movie soundtracks, boogie, retro synth wave, hardcore/metal (2005 - 2008) fan.

Anywho, I'll shut the hell up now.
Check out Banana Music's second location. I think they have the best selection of used vinyl I have ever seen and they have duplicates all priced, usually, equally so you can actually choose the ones with better gradings. Oh and it's all alphabetical and by genre.

Edited by JorgeRodriguez689
typos

So, is there an actual completed list buried in this thread someplace? I ask, as I'm heading to DC tonight and would like to scope out a solid shop one evening this week.

Edit: Found the map. Of the DC shops, does anyone have a preference?

Edited by monk0nuggets

3 hours ago, monk0nuggets said:

So, is there an actual completed list buried in this thread someplace? I ask, as I'm heading to DC tonight and would like to scope out a solid shop one evening this week.

Edit: Found the map. Of the DC shops, does anyone have a preference?

Gotta hit SMASH! Located in the Adams Morgan area, this shop has history synonymous to the DC punk scene but not exclusive. You can find rare vinyl, metal, jazz, rock and retro clothing items. If you bump into Matt you'll have good conversation as well. Take a few minutes to check out the collection of local band flyers on the walls and ceilings. If you go, tell him the video guy sent cha. Happy hunting! ~Corey

Video here:

I moved to Maine a little over 4 years ago. In the Portland area I have found:

• Moody Lords - this is a thrift/vintage and record shop. Mostly used and a great selection of all different genres.
  • Electric Buddhas - some new, but mostly used records. They also sell memorabilia and repair audio equipment.\
  • Enterprise Records - great rock and jazz selections.
  • Strange Maine - quintessential hole-in-the-wall record shop with stacks of everything that will scratch your digger itch!
  • Bull Moose - I have only been to the one in South Portland and can't say that I'm impressed, but I want to try the flagship soon.

If there are other Mainers here with tips, I'd love to hear it!

On 3/27/2017 at 1:39 PM, asilaydying36 said:

Gotta hit SMASH! Located in the Adams Morgan area, this shop has history synonymous to the DC punk scene but not exclusive. You can find rare vinyl, metal, jazz, rock and retro clothing items. If you bump into Matt you'll have good conversation as well. Take a few minutes to check out the collection of local band flyers on the walls and ceilings. If you go, tell him the video guy sent cha. Happy hunting! ~Corey

Ended up checking out Smash, Som and Songbird. Randomly found a new copy of Andrew Bird's Mysterious Production of Eggs at Som - Anyone know if there has been a repress since its original 2005 release? I can't seem to find any info on one, other than a listening for it on his official site. Weird.

On 3/27/2017 at 1:39 PM, asilaydying36 said:

Video here:

Smash is a 10 min walk from my front door. When I get a half day from work I'll usually walk there and then SOM, Red Onion, and one other I'm forgetting. 

• 4 weeks later...

I recommend everyone being on the look out for eBay/Discog flippers actually being Record Stores.... I reported a number of stores last year as I found that they had all signed the RSD pledge and then were selling their leftover (or maybe held back???) stock for high prices. The RSD people seemed very appreciative of it. 

• 1 month later...

Visited Vinyl Frontiers, nice small shop, everything I looked at was in great condition. The owner was pretty nice and helpful. Siren is on the list for this weekend and the Volo Antique mall I've been to a few times, but never for albums, although they do have a lot of them to offer so I'm looking forward to it. 

Vinyl Frontier Records
1326 Riverside Dr # 1
McHenry, IL 60050

Siren Records McHenry
3819 Main St
McHenry, Illinois, IL 60050

Volo Antique Malls
27640 Volo Village Rd
Volo, IL 60073

Edited by Highlite23

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Shake It Records

4156 Hamilton Ave., Cincinnati, OH, 45223

Everybody's Records

6106 Montgomery Rd., Cincinnati, OH, 45213

Phil's Music and Memories (I have found a few gems at this place over the years, off the beaten path kind of place)

3914 Winston Ave., Covington, KY, 41015

Black Plastic

4027 Hamilton Ave., Cincinnati, OH, 45223
513-258-0535

Atomic Pop Shop (very quaint store, but great people and atmosphere)

2963 Government St., Baton Rouge, LA, 70806
225-771-8455

Mushroom New Orleans (near Tulane University)

1037 Broadway St., New Orleans, LA, 70118

Finders Records (the biggest selection of new vinyl I've ever seen, bring money and plenty of time to kill)

128 N. Main St., Bowling Green, OH, 43402

Allied Record Exchange (Multiple locations but Reynolds Road is best IMO)

1710 South Reynolds, Toledo, OH, 43614

Culture Clash

4020 Secor Rd., Toledo, OH, 43623

Underground Sounds (my favorite of the 3 record stores I went to while in Ann Arbor earlier this year)

255 E Liberty, Suite #249, Ann Arbor, MI, 48104

Encore Recordings

417 E. Liberty St., Ann Arbor, MI, 48104

Wazoo Records

336 1/2 S. State, Ann Arbor, MI, 48104

• 3 months later...

Love what you guys have put together here. Just wanted to let you know about VinylHub if you haven't heard of it before (full disclosure, i work there). It's a community-built database and interactive map of record stores all around the world. The database is currently sitting at 6889 shops worldwide, but the goal is to include every single record store in the world.

Feel free to use the data to add to your map, or contribute to our database if you have the time!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just wanted to give a shout out to Gray Whale Records in Utah!

https://www.graywhaleslc.com/

I just found them online and was able to scoop up something I have spent ages looking for.

Monuments - The Amanuensis (Gold Vinyl x/100).

The record was listed as used, and the price was super low.

They don't list the condition or variant information for used records, so I gave them a call and they confirmed the details on the spot!

I ended up getting a record that hasn't shown up on ebay or discoggs in over a year, for a price waaay below what it was worth.
Couldn't be happier!!! And they shipped and packaged it very well.

qmVklhR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Honolulu, and mainly shop at Hungry Ear Records, in Kaka'ako. They handle a lot of very pristine vinyl, as well as bargain bins of both 12" and 7" (and some 10" here and there.) Great staff who are very friendly and knowledgeable. I check in there about once a week, because the punk stuff gets sold pretty fast sometimes. http://hungryear.com/ 

• 1 month later...