PO: THE MARS VOLTA Frances the Mute triple LP

Guest admin1338560633

48 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

I got half an answer on twitter

Once again proving he doesn't know what he's talking about. Yes, it's not official, but it's not a release by a big label. It's a counterfeit release. No different than if I printed some scans of the artwork and cut some vinyl from the CD, then sold it on EBay and Discogs calling it an import. Shady and shitty as hell.

23 hours ago, daegor said:

Not what I was referring to, there was a boot (not sure which, not a Kanye fan) where the label, or Kanye himself, or something, was sitting on the vinyl release for whatever reason.  Someone took the plates that had been already made and fired off a bunch of LPs a few months before it was officially released.

Given the red tap of labels it's not unheard of that plates will me made, but the release never pressed.  That's these sort of things happen.

I don't know why you've got such a boner about this topic though.

I don't have a boner about this topic. That would mean I liked counterfeit records. I'm sure you can tell by now that I don't. I don't like them because they are fakes that confuse people by being sold as imports, and as such dilutes the market. eBay is cluttered with them. They often are subpar in quality, and the rights holder gets no compensation. 

Then you get the people like yourself, who try to justify their interest or purchase by making up an unbelievable scenario that will somehow legitimize the release. Don't take it personally, you're not the first to fall into that trap. Sorry, your vague reference to one unnamed record isn't a very convincing example of "many."

im not unsympathetic to everyone's desire to own releases they like or live on their favorite format. It really sucks that these great and favorite albums aren't available on vinyl, but supporting a fake sucks, and is NOT the answer. 

I hope that when FTM gets repressed, they include the song FTM on side 1, and move all the sides down one, bumping  the etching off the last side. 

That's how it should have been pressed in the first place.

Edited by kannibal

14 hours ago, kannibal said:

I hope that when FTM gets repressed, they include the song FTM on side 1, and move all the sides down one, bumping  the etching off the last side. 

I always thought it was odd they left the title track off the final release.

2 minutes ago, kannibal said:

The original story was time constraints of a CD, I think. It's a great track, and deserves to heard in sequence as it flows right into the intro to the first song. 

I can see that, if they didn't want to do a double CD release. And I agree, great track. I made sure to put it on my digital version.

On 1/20/2017 at 1:19 PM, Shlebs said:

I made a 4 figure number selling all my Volta shit, it felt very good. There will be a real repress of this some day, they can see the $$$.

On 1/20/2017 at 1:33 PM, kannibal said:

Damn. 

Yeah, it's gotten pretty crazy. Even the black MOV Deloused is around $100 now. 

On 1/21/2017 at 5:55 PM, BuzzersonKillwell said:

The second best deal I ever got on VC was a pristine copy of Frances. Not germane to the current discussion but good for me.

I have had some insane luck around here, and my cheap Mars Volta miracle is in the top. I knocked out silver MOV deloused, Octa, Noct, and Bedlam for $80. Felt fucking incredible. Snagged FTM later for $60. So glad to be done.

16 hours ago, kannibal said:

Yeah, that always confused me. With all the vinyl exclusive/variation stuff you see released, seems like they'd do it that way regardless of how the CD was since there was the space.

58 minutes ago, Holo said:

Yeah, it's gotten pretty crazy. Even the black MOV Deloused is around $100 now. 

I have had some insane luck around here, and my cheap Mars Volta miracle is in the top. I knocked out silver MOV deloused, Octa, Noct, and Bedlam for $80. Felt fucking incredible. Snagged FTM later for $60. So glad to be done.

Yeah, that always confused me. With all the vinyl exclusive/variation stuff you see released, seems like they'd do it that way regardless of how the CD was since there was the space.

Exactly! I always wondered why they put an etching on side F instead of the song on side A.

18 hours ago, kannibal said:

And then think about it! In that configuration, you could start "Cassandra Gemini" on side E get to the middle of the song and instead of having to put one disc away and take another out to finish the track, you could just flip the LP that is already on the table over in about two seconds and continue the song with minimal interruption. I just came thinking about it.

That is my biggest pet peeve about that LP set.

21 hours ago, kannibal said:

Once again proving he doesn't know what he's talking about. Yes, it's not official, but it's not a release by a big label. It's a counterfeit release. No different than if I printed some scans of the artwork and cut some vinyl from the CD, then sold it on EBay and Discogs calling it an import. Shady and shitty as hell.

He said the exact same thing about the Deloused MOV release.

All I care about is price and sound quality.  The band has already proved to me that they can't put out a release with good sound quality.  I don't much care whether or not you believe me about bootlegs, it's no skin off my back.  Whether or not it's a bootleg has no bearing on whether or not I'd buy it.  Just sound quality and price.

3 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

Don't be nice eBay it haha

Ha! I should. I hate messing with ebay/fees whatever though. The couple people that messaged me I gave a price very slightly under discogs, with the added bonus that they're getting something from a trusted member of the board! (plus I'll probably throw in some stickers or something rad.)

Buy my record. I want to buy a rifle.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know where one could find one of the recent blue/red boots floating around? Or can anyone who has one speak to the quality? Is it worth my time?

I'm not happy about potentially going down that road, but a repress seems less likely with each passing year.

1 hour ago, Scruffy...the janitor said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know where one could find one of the recent blue/red boots floating around? Or can anyone who has one speak to the quality? Is it worth my time?

I'm not happy about potentially going down that road, but a repress seems less likely with each passing year.

I bought mine on eBay for about $50 when they first started popping up a few months ago. And now they’re selling for like $100-150. Kinda ridiculous. The quality is not great, for starters the cover art looks terrible, super dark and no real definition in the dark areas, and the image is super pixelated. The sound quality is pretty bad too. It’s on a double LP instead of the original 2 and a half. It sounds super compressed and muffled. It’s not super super horrendous, but it’s not great. If you can find one for under $100 I’d say go for it. If not, don’t waste your money and instead save up a bit more and buy an original which average $250-300. In fact I have a near perfect copy I’ve been looking to trade for a Silver MOV deloused. Or possibly sell it IF I can find someone else selling that silver deloused. 

Based on the 2 posts above, I’m going to just cut to the discussion and ask... why?  If the presentation is junk, and the sound quality is butt, why even waste the money on a boot?  Is it the epitome of hoarding or consumerism?  Is it being able to feel proud that the album – or some bastardized rendition of it – physically resides on the shelf?  I’ll never understand it.  Vinyl is a nice, albeit spendy medium to enjoy music.  The extra cost and effort to play the music is typically justified by the immersion, the physical presentation, or the enhanced audio – if it’s been properly mastered and not just digitally ripped.  We’re talking about downgrading those things on all fronts, and paying someone $50+ to do so?  What am I missing?

For the vast majority, boots are boots for a reason.  They miss the entire mark of what vinyl has to offer.  I’m not a purist who insists that OG copies are the only answer (especially if a repress or reissue is available for cheaper), but willingly paying $40+ just to spin a shit version of something you could just as easily stream at better quality... what’s the purpose?

Arguing that it may never get pressed or repressed?  Okay.  I mean, I guess.  But it’s remarkable how many “impossible” releases I’ve seen come to fruition over the years.  Albums where the masters were (allegedly) lost for years on end, or where the rights were gridlocked in court by the labels.  It just takes time.  I wouldn’t even be surprised to see Frank Ocean’s Blonde reissued someday, despite the insistence it’ll never happen again.

At the end of the day it’s your money and I’m not going to seethe over the way you spend it.  If your MO is to have something tangible – laughably cheap and sloppy as it may look or sound – to tide you over until a hypothetical repress happens, and scratch whatever weird “physical medium” itch you have... that’s perfectly alright.  I just need to know if anyone else is as lost as I am.

Edited by Derek™

In this case, it was going to be repressed, but then the band complained and said they wanted to remaster it and do it themselves.  So the repress was pulled.  Only thing is that other stuff the band has remastered has sounded like poop.  So I don't want that.  And it was years ago and they never got around to it I guess?

I'd like to hear from someone who has copies of the boots and the OG because I've heard the OG doesn't sound great either.  Some people have claimed the boots sound better than the OG.

Edited by daegor

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Based on the 2 posts above, I’m going to just cut to the discussion and ask... why?  If the presentation is junk, and the sound quality is butt, why even waste the money on a boot?  Is it the epitome of hoarding or consumerism?  Is it being able to feel proud that the album – or some bastardized rendition of it – physically resides on the shelf?  I’ll never understand it.  Vinyl is a nice, albeit spendy medium to enjoy music.  The extra cost and effort to play the music is typically justified by the immersion, the physical presentation, or the enhanced audio – if it’s been properly mastered and not just digitally ripped.  We’re talking about downgrading those things on all fronts, and paying someone $50+ to do so?  What am I missing?

For the vast majority, boots are boots for a reason.  They miss the entire mark of what vinyl has to offer.  I’m not a purist who insists that OG copies are the only answer (especially if a repress or reissue is available for cheaper), but willingly paying $40+ just to spin a shit version of something you could just as easily stream at better quality... what’s the purpose?

Arguing that it may never get pressed or repressed?  Okay.  I mean, I guess.  But it’s remarkable how many “impossible” releases I’ve seen come to fruition over the years.  Albums where the masters were (allegedly) lost for years on end, or where the rights were gridlocked in court by the labels.  It just takes time.  I wouldn’t even be surprised to see Frank Ocean’s Blonde reissued someday, despite the insistence it’ll never happen again.

At the end of the day it’s your money and I’m not going to seethe over the way you spend it.  If your MO is to have something tangible – laughably cheap and sloppy as it may look or sound – to tide you over until a hypothetical repress happens, and scratch whatever weird “physical medium” itch you have... that’s perfectly alright.  I just need to know if anyone else is as lost as I am.

I totally see where you’re coming from. I don’t normally buy bootlegs of albums that already exists. I’ll either hunt down a copy, or accept the fact that I’ll never own it. I do have a couple live bootlegs like iggy pop and other old punk bands, those are just cool to have. But in this specific case, I’m a huge Mars Volta lover, I didn’t know the quality of the record when I bought it although I wasn’t expecting much. But I’m on a personal mission to collect every piece of vinyl from Mars Volta and Omar solo, all variants and all bootlegs. Just to have, so that was my reason for buying it, I would’ve still bought it had I known how terrible it was. 
but in some cases I’ve heard that some bootlegs do still sound great. And I’d the sound quality is good, and it’s a good bootleg, I fully support people buying those bootlegs when the originals sell for hundreds of dollars. 

if this was a different band and there was bootleg of an album I wanted but I knew was shitty quality, I wouldn’t even bother with it