this is me giving up

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, read what I actually said about Snapcase and Botch. Botch is the kind of band Snapcase WANTED to be. I never said they sound like one another. Snapcase is way more down-tempo and, frankly, boring. But they have that almost electronic guitar feel that Botch did so well. I always felt Snapcase was going for a futuristic hardcore sound, which is what Botch achieved.

i read what you said, and i fully understood it. however, to say botch is the type of band snapcase always wanted to be implies there is stylistic similarities between the two. which i don't really hear.

I don't think they sound anything alike. At all. It just seems to me they were aiming for the same kind of sound. One made it, the other didn't.

So I was thinking about this whole botch Vs everyone else thing and how you could easily argue that Botch is responsible for the current hardcore/metelcore scene. The same goes for Refused. their record sounds like a lot of the screamo hardcore punk bands out right now, just obviously better. Same thing with Blink-182 or Green Day or Rancid. I mean how many bands have sounded like the fucking Clash?? no matter what time period or style of music you can always find bands that sound like other bands. It doesn't mean that either band is bad or unoriginal, it's just the way it is. Look at Saves The Day and Lifetime. Can't Slow Down sounds a fucking lot like Lifetime yet Saves The Day has grown into one of the best bands around. They now have their own sound yet they've managed to hold onto their influences and what made them special in the first place. I'm sure you could say this about many many bands.

Every now and then you get a band like Botch who completly throws everyone and influences people and bands for years and years to come. I'm sure people who are just now getting into hardcore who don't know a lot about it think that Botch sounds unoriginal or too much like other bands. Some kids probably think that botch sound too much like Norma Jean even though it's the other way around.

Take Gatsbys American Dream. How many bands in the last year or so have release cds that sound a lot like GAD?? Matchbook Romance, This Providence and Forgive Durden come to mind and GAD aren't even broken up(officialy) yet.

This is one of those philosophical arguments that will never get answer or solved. i'm sure a few hundred years ago a piano player was like "what the hell? I wrote that five years ago. I'm gonna have to kick that pianist's ass in the next village over!"