this is me giving up

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus, I understand he's being courted to star in a movie about FSU (the harcore brotherhood, not Florida State University), so that will up his punk-rock cred.

Really? that is rather crazy. I bet those FSU assholes are stoked.

I guess some of them have been taking him to shows, etc...I'm hearing this third person, so I'm not sure it's true. And they've given him an iPod chock full of FSU's favorite hardcore stuff.

FSU may be that way now, but if you go back to its origins it was actually a very positive thing. A bunch of guys with similar interests trying to get the hate out of hardcore and punk and create an opposing force against the nazi skins that tried to take over at shows. Like everything, it spiraled out of control. But if you ever read interviews with the "founder/leader" of FSU he's a very smart, articulate guy who also seems pretty disappointed with the way things turned out. Read that recent article in Rolling Stone, it gives really good insight. The violence was just an unfortunate byproduct of what they were originally trying to accomplish. That said, I no way endorse or condone what they do, but in many ways I can understand it.

We never had any problem with nazi skins taking over shows in Philly. They came, started shit, and regular kids took care of them. Starting a gang to defeat another gang is kind of lame in my opinion. But standing up for your scene certainly isn't. So I guess I'm on the fence.

This is pretty much what I was going to write.

I remember tampa/st pete area when i was young having alot of problems with skins and sharps. there would be shows that turn into big rumbles. I remember hearing that skins and sharps would travel from pretty far to meet up at a certain show and start fighting... how stupid is that? but it seems like it started dying out by the time i was about to graduate highschool. I remeber the dropkick murphys and agnostic front tour i went to when i was 16 was pretty fuckin hairy. The bands had to stop playing like every 15 mins because there were so many fights. stupid. i am glad i have only seen a handful of fights at hardcore shows in the last 5 or 6 years. Overall shows have been alot more friendly.

Has anyone seen Boston Beatdown DVDs? that shit is ridiculous!

In Boston there were big problems with skins back in the early to mid-1990s. Either way, there are always going to be idiots at shows who start fights, it doesn't matter what it says on their t-shirts, dicks are dicks. I try giving everyone the benefit of the doubt. I try to keep an open mind no matter what. I just disagree with people who assume that because someone is affiliated with a certian group they're a douche bag (unless that group is steeped in hate).

EDIT: How crazy is it that a question about Justin Timberlake records fueled a debate about skins and FSU? I find that completely insane.

Hickey...whereabouts in Boston are you?...I travel to Beantown at least once a year...have been doing it for the past 10 years or so. My best friend lives in Cambridge just down the street from The Middle East...I love that town. I was just up there for the Police concert at Fenway.

And going back to the thread...For some odd reason, straight-up hardcore and shows are breeding grounds for thugs. It's like it has become heavy music's version of gangsta rap... ::)

oh, there are serious correlations between rap and hardcore. The biggest one being the fakeness / bravado of everyone involved. All these songs about killing people and being hard. Sounds like rap to me.

Personally though my biggest gripe with rap and hardcore is a lack of originality. To me, if you're not progressing you're moving backwards and I have no interest in revisiting the past. Black Flag, Misfits, SSD, etc. were all great bands back in the day, but I don't need to hear that stuff over and over for the rest of my life.

oh, there are serious correlations between rap and hardcore. The biggest one being the fakeness / bravado of everyone involved. All these songs about killing people and being hard. Sounds like rap to me.

Personally though my biggest gripe with rap and hardcore is a lack of originality. To me, if you're not progressing you're moving backwards and I have no interest in revisiting the past. Black Flag, Misfits, SSD, etc. were all great bands back in the day, but I don't need to hear that stuff over and over for the rest of my life.

This is why I don't listen to that much straight up hardcore. I have no desire to hear Throwdown release the same record over and over.

This is why I don't listen to that much straight up hardcore. I have no desire to hear Throwdown release the same record over and over.

whoa whoa whoa... no need to bring throwdown into this. i love me some pantera.