Jump to content
harryq

Some Cheap Vinyl at Amazon

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Battra said:

You guys are way more patient than I am. :)

The way I look at it is: my money isn't tied up since they don't charge, and if it was something I absolutely HAD to have, I probably would have already jumped on it at a higher price. Makes it easier to wait it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zdkaiser said:

They shipped my copy of Ride the Lightning. When I click the album link in Amazon, the listing goes to the sale page for the  2016 pressing. Crossing my fingers I get the good pressing of this album for $10. 

Mine just came in the mail its the 2014 pressing...I'll guess I hear what all the negativity is about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zdkaiser said:

Well, how does RTL sound?

I'm no audiophile and I'll never claim to be one so take this with a grain of salt, but I was expecting much worse.  It is a little flat sounding, but my copy has no surface noise.  Fade to Black and other quiet parts sounded fine with the exception of the slight flatness I mentioned earlier.  For $10, I'll take it.  For $20 or whatever it originally went for, I might be a bit more irritated.

Edited by Dub

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dub said:

I'm no audiophile and I'll never claim to be one so take this with a grain of salt, but I was expecting much worse.  It is a little flat sounding, but my copy has no surface noise.  Fade to Black and other quiet parts sounded fine with the exception of the slight flatness I mentioned earlier.  For $10, I'll take it.  For $20 or whatever it originally went for, I might be a bit more irritated.

I am audiophilish and I sometimes scratch my head when I read on this forum about "bad pressings." Surface noise/clicks and pops can often be cleared up with a zerostat gun or a quick clean. When listening to a pressing, I listen more for dynamics and realism than surface noise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brevity1 said:

I am audiophilish and I sometimes scratch my head when I read on this forum about "bad pressings." Surface noise/clicks and pops can often be cleared up with a zerostat gun or a quick clean. When listening to a pressing, I listen more for dynamics and realism than surface noise.

I agree, but it can be hard to judge "dynamics and realism" when all you hear is surface noise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brevity1 said:

I am audiophilish and I sometimes scratch my head when I read on this forum about "bad pressings." Surface noise/clicks and pops can often be cleared up with a zerostat gun or a quick clean. When listening to a pressing, I listen more for dynamics and realism than surface noise.

It wasn't even just this forum. On discogs it was probably one of the worst commented releases I've seen along with a few other sites that had reviews as well. Also, the original release that it used the same plates from has the same kind of awful reviews. So there was def. pretty substantial evidence behind the claims people were saying here. 

 

All the while the newer remaster has nothing but fantastic reviews. If the newer remaster wasn't out  then I think people would have cared a lot less considering the price point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That 2014 RTL is crap, IMO. I tried it and immediately put it up on Discogs.

It's flat and dull. Has no space or air to it. Sounds like a  poor sounding CD on vinyl.

The original is head and shoulders better. It's crisp, detailed, and punchy.

The newest press (2016) is far better than that 2014 as well.

We really need a "gear" section in our profiles so we can see what others' setups are.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

That 2014 RTL is crap, IMO. I tried it and immediately put it up on Discogs.

It's flat and dull. Has no space or air to it. Sounds like a  poor sounding CD on vinyl.

The original is head and shoulders better. It's crisp, detailed, and punchy.

The newest press (2016) is far better than that 2014 as well.

We really need a "gear" section in our profiles so we can see what others' setups are.

 

It's up! New VC Profile Feature

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed on RTL.... I snagged the 2 x 45 RPM version when I got back into vinyl, and was amazed how terrible it sounded. When it went OOP I sold it for a nice price, thankfully. The single-disc version was the same mastering, but 33 1/3 RPM so sonics are even worse. 

 

The 2016 got it right... To the point that I had an original Elektra that I sold after grabbing it, as SQ was very close and the 2016 was much quieter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2017 at 4:39 AM, Gippej said:

Quick off topic question about the Metallica records, is everybody in agreement the 2016 versions are good? I have the 2014 versions of AJFA and RTL (2xLP), I found RTL to be listenable it still left a lot to be desired, and AJFA sounds terrible. But for that cheap price, I might snag Kill Em All

The 2016 Kill Em All sounds amazing, I wouldn't hesitate on that one.

I'm really excited to see what they do with MoP and AJFA with the box sets.

The 2014 series pretty much blows, other than the Black album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×