harryq

Some Cheap Vinyl at Amazon

8,986 posts in this topic

I've noticed this thread last week and got the idea to make a website that would index and track all vinyl and CDs on Amazon.

The main aim of the site would be to track price changes, so that it would be easy to spot the records that have been reduced recently.

I'm maybe halfway through coding and the collection and tracking runs smoothly. Now I'm gonna go for the web interface, maybe in a week or two I could put something online.

Currently I'm tracking the US Amazon.com, but it would be possible to track Amazon Canada, UK, Germany and France as well, depending if there is demand for that.

Also, do you guys ever purchase from Amazon marketplace, meaning new or used records from 3rd parties that are offered through Amazon?

Any cool ideas that you'd like to see implemented? I could think of email notification for artists.

Any input is appreciated.

I buy more things from third-party sellers than directly from Amazon, because I've gotten crazy good deals. Found Be Your Own Pet's first album on vinyl for $6 new, I'd definitely want to find out about changes.

I remember seeing BYOP open for Arctic Monkeys a few years back... that chick is NUTS.

I buy more things from third-party sellers than directly from Amazon, because I've gotten crazy good deals. Found Be Your Own Pet's first album on vinyl for $6 new, I'd definitely want to find out about changes.

I remember seeing BYOP open for Arctic Monkeys a few years back... that chick is NUTS.

I remember seeing that they were playing Warped Tour '08, and my mindset was "I don't want to pay $30 and drive a couple hours to see mainly just one band." Then they broke up later that year. So pissed.

They put on a pretty good show but basically Jemina got pissed off at some drunk guy who yelled something out in between songs and so she changed the words to Food Fight to basically just talk shit about this guy and then she stormed off stage halfway through the set. Plus her dress barely went past her hips.. but I wasn't complaining aha.

Thanks for the positive feedback, I get the feeling that people here will like to use it, so that

good hear.

problem with marketplace is that the cheaper sellers wont post overseas. however, this is a phenom idea capsized. .com is always cheaper than .co.uk and .de though.

.com is maybe cheaper if you live in the US, but don't know how many more Europeans besides me hang around here.

But maybe it's also interesting for you if you are into European bands, let's say e.g. Oceansize's latest record is not available on Vinyl at Amazon.com (haven't checked other shops) but at .co.uk.

i've found .co.uk and .de tend to be a lot more expensive all round. even European releases listed as imports on .com tend to be a similar price as they are on their euro amazon home. rarely find cheap stuff on the Euro amazons nowadays :(

cannot beat the $6 shipping charge .com charges me for LPs to Australia.

Looking through amazon.co.uk vinyl bestsellers [ http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/music/382539011 ] .. a few albums there for £1.97!!! (like Prodigys Invaders Must Die)

it looks like co.uk sale time

AWESOME!!

My uncle got me £100 gift cert for my wedding present and I've been scouring amazon.co.uk to find something to spend it on.

Thanks for the heads up.

Alright, the website is progressing nicely I might put a first beta online in the next few days.

Meanwhile looking through the data that I've collected so far I came across this:

The Pariah,the Parrot,the Delusion [Vinyl LP] for $7,24

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002767SP0/recmol-20

Well, I personally like that album although it might not be their best but in my country the LP still costs 5 times more than that (30 Euros = $39) and I noticed the postage is indeed pretty cheap for a package from the US, so I'll give it a try.

Ready for a first preview of the site?

It still needs a lot of stuff to do, but early input would be very valuable, because it is still easier to change stuff.

http://recordmole.com

There is a lot more stuff to come, e.g. filtering the lists by music styles and also showing all offers by artists, but this is already a start.

Keep in mind that I've only been tracking the data since last week, so it hasn't detected that many high price changes for Amazon products. With some exceptions for used items in the market place.

Ready for a first preview of the site?

It still needs a lot of stuff to do, but early input would be very valuable, because it is still easier to change stuff.

http://recordmole.com

There is a lot more stuff to come, e.g. filtering the lists by music styles and also showing all offers by artists, but this is already a start.

Keep in mind that I've only been tracking the data since last week, so it hasn't detected that many high price changes for Amazon products. With some exceptions for used items in the market place.

first off: super cool

two potential changes to make this even super cooler:

1) "We are currently tracking in our database:

* vinyl: 11830"

2) can you add a "worth buying" filter?

you're awesome for having the initiative to make it.

fucking THIS!! well done mate!! :D

on a recent marketplace transaction: guy had a record for sale, with international shipping availability. record was cheap so i bought. i received an email from amazon a day later stating that the record was 'out of stock' from this seller.

this has happened so many times with me that the notion of these records actually being out of stock is a joke. he obviously worked out the shipping and decided that the few dollars he would pocket from the sale wasnt good enough.

NOW, i cannot blame the seller at all for thinking like this. international shipping is beyond ridiculous and a dude selling a few records cannot afford to take such huge hits like this, especially since Amazon have set a non-negotiable charge for international shipping on records at about $7. the reality is that the charge will be around double this figure.

so my advice to international folks who buy from .com, probably wise to stay clear of marketplace sellers if the price of the record is relatively low. i would also encourage to buy up big from amazon.com proper NOW, because sooner or later they will work out that the shipping charge they set for records is far too low, and it will go up substantially, just like .co.uk and .de has already done in the recent past.

christ, i just got one of the new Boris reissues and the BXI LP shipped together for measly postage charge of $7. that would cost you $20 if you took them to yr local post office to send to australia.

Wow, thanks for all the awesome feedback.

Will definitely continue work on it to make it even better.

two potential changes to make this even super cooler:

1) "We are currently tracking in our database:

* vinyl: 11830"

I can't see what you're suggesting here.

2) can you add a "worth buying" filter?

Everyone's definition of worth buying is different, but I'm planning to put on the home page a list of recent "significant" price changes, divided by music style.

It would help if everybody would tell me what they consider "worth buying" criteria.