any anime nerds?

1 hour ago, batman said:

Finished Clannad After Story thru Ep22, so I just have a few OVA's and the movie left. Damn the second half of AS is brutal. All aboard the feels express. 

Probably going to watch FMA:B next. 

You can skip the movie, it's just the story tossed into a shorter version and the animation is done by another company (looks worse IMO). The OVA's are cool, since they show different story arcs.

1 hour ago, Thomas³ said:

You can skip the movie, it's just the story tossed into a shorter version and the animation is done by another company (looks worse IMO). The OVA's are cool, since they show different story arcs.

Thanks, I'll skip that and watch Kimi no na wa (Your Name) instead. Towards the top of the list on MAL, so it's gotta be good. 

4 hours ago, batman said:

Kimi no na wa (Your Name)

So this movie... Has anyone else watched it? It was fucking beautiful! Will definitely be buying the blu-ray when it gets released in the states. I don't think it's even hitting theaters until April. 

Edit: Ahh I see it was mentioned a few pages back. Should probably keep digging in this thread for more gems like that. Wowzers.

Double edit: Kissanime rules. There's a lot of stuff that I had been meaning to watch...

Off the top of my head, I've only seen: Death Note, FLCL, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Eureka Seven, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Wolf's Rain, Fruits Basket. And all the Ghibli films. And a few other misc films (Perfect Blue, Paprika, Summer Wars). 

Edited by batman

22 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

There were a couple side story VNs as well if I recall (Tomoyo for sure, maybe some others?). All Ages version is up on steam but you can patch it if anyone cares. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Kimi No Na Wa the other night and was blown away.  Might've been one of the best films I've ever seen.  Thanks again to @batman for pushing me to see it.

Went a little anime crazy with some of my tax return earlier and placed a pretty big order from Amazon.  I picked up:

- Claymore: The Complete Series (blu-ray)

- Steins Gate: The Complete Series (blu-ray)

- Welcome To The NHK: The Complete Series (DVD)

- Serial Experiments Lain: The Complete Series (blu-ray)

- Elfen Lied: The Complete Series + OVA (blu-ray)

And then from Amazon UK I ordered:

- Gurren Laggen: The Complete Series (blu-ray)

I should be set for a while now.  Plus I got my blu-ray collection of the Bereserk series to watch, as well with finishing up Paranoia Agent.

Edited by FiggyPuddling

51 minutes ago, batman said:

^damnnnn

i started watching through the OG Berserk series (on ep 5 or 6). it's good, but definitely dated. the manga is phenomenal, so i'm probably just holding it to unrealistically high standards. 

probably gonna tackle Steins Gate next.

Steins;Gate is top 3 material for me. So fucking great.

On 2/19/2017 at 2:28 AM, batman said:

^damnnnn

i started watching through the OG Berserk series (on ep 5 or 6). it's good, but definitely dated. the manga is phenomenal, so i'm probably just holding it to unrealistically high standards. 

probably gonna tackle Steins Gate next.

Would you suggest the OG Berserk or the new one? I really want to see it but I don't know which one's better.

Anyway, I just saw Boy and the Beast and holy shit, it was so good. It seems like Hosoda can do no wrong. Also binged Digimon tri yesterday and holy shit, the nostalgia. I'd love to rewatch the first four seasons of Digimon (it's been more than a decade) but I also want to check out other stuff like Tokyo Ghoul, Champloo and My Hero Academia (before S2 starts). Decisions ...

9 hours ago, Breezus said:

Would you suggest the OG Berserk or the new one? I really want to see it but I don't know which one's better.

Anyway, I just saw Boy and the Beast and holy shit, it was so good. It seems like Hosoda can do no wrong. Also binged Digimon tri yesterday and holy shit, the nostalgia. I'd love to rewatch the first four seasons of Digimon (it's been more than a decade) but I also want to check out other stuff like Tokyo Ghoul, Champloo and My Hero Academia (before S2 starts). Decisions ...

I haven't watched the new series, but the old one is solid so far. The movie trilogy is good but it glosses over a lot. I'd recommend that you watch the original series and then watch the movie trilogy--they cover the same story arc. Also, I believe that it's been officially recommended in FAQs that you watch either/or before watching Berserk (2016). I haven't heard very good things about the new series, but will probably watch it eventually. The manga is EXCELLENT, so it's hard to compare. I usually watch a series first and then read it, so then I'm surprised by all of the expanded storylines and character development. It doesn't work as well in reverse, unfortunately. Real talk, I'd skip the anime altogether and just read the manga...

What's Boy and the Beast? I saw the soundtrack for it the other day at a local record shop and didn't know what it was.

Edited by batman

9 hours ago, Breezus said:

I'm absolutely loving the OG Berserk right now.  I plowed through like... 8 or 9 episodes last night.  Probably won't even bother touching the new one.  Not a fan of the animation at all.

I need to get around to watching Tokyo Ghoul and My Hero Academia at some point too.  I've heard great things about Tokyo Ghoul, and MHA just looks and sounds really cool.

On 2/26/2017 at 9:54 PM, batman said:

I haven't watched the new series, but the old one is solid so far. The movie trilogy is good but it glosses over a lot. I'd recommend that you watch the original series and then watch the movie trilogy--they cover the same story arc. Also, I believe that it's been officially recommended in FAQs that you watch either/or before watching Berserk (2016). I haven't heard very good things about the new series, but will probably watch it eventually. The manga is EXCELLENT, so it's hard to compare. I usually watch a series first and then read it, so then I'm surprised by all of the expanded storylines and character development. It doesn't work as well in reverse, unfortunately. Real talk, I'd skip the anime altogether and just read the manga...

What's Boy and the Beast? I saw the soundtrack for it the other day at a local record shop and didn't know what it was.

Ah, I see. Guess I'll have to start with the OG. You're probably right but I prefer watching the anime tbh. The only manga I'm following right now is Attack on Titan because I'm impatient lol.

Boy and the Beast is about an orphan who is raised and trained by a bear. It's a bit like Karate Kid and Jungle Book and I highly recommend it, especially if you've seen and digged Hosoda's other works like Summer Wars, Wolf Children or The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. 

On 2/26/2017 at 10:05 PM, FiggyPuddling said:

I'm absolutely loving the OG Berserk right now.  I plowed through like... 8 or 9 episodes last night.  Probably won't even bother touching the new one.  Not a fan of the animation at all.

I need to get around to watching Tokyo Ghoul and My Hero Academia at some point too.  I've heard great things about Tokyo Ghoul, and MHA just looks and sounds really cool.

I binged MHA on my off-days and it's seriously so fucking good. It reminded me a little of One Punch Man, which I'm a big fan of as well. I didn't expect to like it so much and now I'm really hyped for S2 next month. I also finished Seraph of the End recently and I think that one has quickly become my favorite anime after AOT. Maybe because it's made by the same studio and it shares the same composer ... or maybe because it's just as fucked up. I hope they announce a third season soon.

6 hours ago, batman said:

finished OG berserk last night. love the last few episodes so much. 

going to start steins;gate tonight! i didn't get very far in the visual novel, so it'll be nice to finally see this through.

I know I just told you that I would probably start Steins;Gate since I finished Berserk to take a little break from "bloody anime," but I lied, lol.  Ended up starting Clamore which seems to be just as bloody as Berserk and I'm only 5 episodes in.

*Note*: I didn't actually NEED a break from bloody/violent anime.  If anything, those are my favorite kind.  When I said "break" I meant changing it up a little bit.

Not sure what series I'm gonna start binging before my next semester begins. My watch list includes:

• Shingeki no Bahamut (since S2 starts in April)
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Tokyo Ghoul
  • Noragami
  • Steins;Gate
  • Erased
  • Berserk
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion (+ films)
  • Afro Samurai
  • Welcome to the NHK
  • Elfen Lied
  • Your Lie in April
  • OreGairu

I have no plans to watch all of these anytime soon (I'm not that crazy lol) but I want to add something else to my anime schedule besides my one-ep-a-day rewatch of Shingeki no Kyojin S1. 

Edited by Breezus

berserk is awesome and i'm halfway through claymore, which seems decent.

not sure how many people are aware of it, but bwana released an akira remix album in early 2016 and it's available on vinyl. (https://luckyme.net/bwana/) it's a little tricky to track down in the USA, but euro copies are readily available.

12 hours ago, Breezus said:

Not sure what series I'm gonna start binging before my next semester begins. My watch list includes:

• Shingeki no Bahamut (since S2 starts in April)
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Tokyo Ghoul
  • Noragami
  • Steins;Gate
  • Erased
  • Berserk
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion (+ films)
  • Afro Samurai
  • Welcome to the NHK
  • Elfen Lied
  • Your Lie in April
  • OreGairu

I have no plans to watch all of these anytime soon (I'm not that crazy lol) but I want to add something else to my anime schedule besides my one-ep-a-day rewatch of Shingeki no Kyojin S1. 

If you've never seen Evangelion, then that first.  Then Berserk, then Samurai Champloo.  A few of those are on my watch list as well so I can't comment yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2017 at 2:45 AM, FiggyPuddling said:

If you've never seen Evangelion, then that first.  Then Berserk, then Samurai Champloo.  A few of those are on my watch list as well so I can't comment yet.

Finished NGE yesterday and my head still hurts lol - I did not expect those last two episodes to fuck me up like that. EDIT: I just saw The End of Evangelion and holy. fucking. shit.

Also binge-watched Rage of Bahamut (surprisingly amazing), Tokyo Ghoul (I thought it was fantastic aside from the ending which wasn't bad but not exactly satisfying either) and Noragami (loved everything about it) this past week. I think I have to catch up on the manga since neither Ghoul nor Noragami are getting third seasons anytime soon.

And I haven't had the chance to see Red Turtle just yet. Not sure if I'm gonna see it in theaters or just wait for the Blu-Ray. I heard it's pretty much a silent film, so I don't really have the desire to see it ASAP, if I'm being honest.

Edited by Breezus

4 hours ago, Breezus said:

Finished NGE yesterday and my head still hurts lol - I did not expect those last two episodes to fuck me up like that. EDIT: I just saw The End of Evangelion and holy. fucking. shit.

Lol yes!  You watch the last 2 episodes and you're like "really?  What just happened?"  And then you watch TEOE and it's more satisfying as a true ending, but you're still asking yourself "really?  What just happened?"

8 hours ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Lol yes!  You watch the last 2 episodes and you're like "really?  What just happened?"  And then you watch TEOE and it's more satisfying as a true ending, but you're still asking yourself "really?  What just happened?"

Haha exactly. I was shocked when

Spoiler

Shinji finally "gets it" and returns to the real world along with Asuka ... but then he fucking strangles her! After reading some explanations however, I get it now. He wasn't sure if he really was back in the real world and he was blinded by his own "version" of Asuka, so that explains why he went apeshit. Ultimately, it was actually a beautiful ending and one of the more satisfying endings I've ever seen, with Asuka caressing him despite his actions, him realizing that she's still alive and that it wasn't a fantasy.

Still, I did not expect Shinji jerking off to a comatose Asuka and Misato kissing Shinji. This show really doesn't give a fuck lol 

Gotta say though, without End of Evangelion, the anime series is definitely lacking a proper ending imo. And I'm not sure where NGE ranks in my anime ranking so far but its brilliance is undeniable.

2 hours ago, Breezus said:

Haha exactly. I was shocked when

Hide contents

Shinji finally "gets it" and returns to the real world along with Asuka ... but then he fucking strangles her! After reading some explanations however, I get it now. He wasn't sure if he really was back in the real world and he was blinded by his own "version" of Asuka, so that explains why he went apeshit. Ultimately, it was actually a beautiful ending and one of the more satisfying endings I've ever seen, with Asuka caressing him despite his actions, him realizing that she's still alive and that it wasn't a fantasy.

Still, I did not expect Shinji jerking off to a comatose Asuka and Misato kissing Shinji. This show really doesn't give a fuck lol 

Gotta say though, without End of Evangelion, the anime series is definitely lacking a proper ending imo. And I'm not sure where NGE ranks in my anime ranking so far but its brilliance is undeniable.

Yeah I'm so glad EoE was made.  The whole series is amazing, and those last 2 episodes are really good in their own way, but to end the series like that would've been a bit of a let down after all the build up.  Probably in my top 5 of all time though.  One of my favorite parts about it was going online and reading things about it afterwards to understand things more.