any anime nerds?

18 hours ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Yeah I'm so glad EoE was made.  The whole series is amazing, and those last 2 episodes are really good in their own way, but to end the series like that would've been a bit of a let down after all the build up.  Probably in my top 5 of all time though.  One of my favorite parts about it was going online and reading things about it afterwards to understand things more.

Yeah, I think I'll be reading a lot of stuff in the coming weeks. There's so much more to discover. I think this series is definitely a grower.

Have you seen the Rebuild series as well? The animation is absolutely incredible and it's great to see so many iconic scenes from the anime series get the DBZ Kai treatment. After 1.11 though, there were lots of drastic changes with 3.33 turning out to be a completely different beast, which I didn't expect at all. However, I've really enjoyed it so far and I can't wait for 3.0+1.0.

2 hours ago, Breezus said:

Yeah, I think I'll be reading a lot of stuff in the coming weeks. There's so much more to discover. I think this series is definitely a grower.

Have you seen the Rebuild series as well? The animation is absolutely incredible and it's great to see so many iconic scenes from the anime series get the DBZ Kai treatment. After 1.11 though, there were lots of drastic changes with 3.33 turning out to be a completely different beast, which I didn't expect at all. However, I've really enjoyed it so far and I can't wait for 3.0+1.0.

Yep.  I've seen all the rebuilds so far.  I definitely enjoyed them for what they are.  I like how it's a whole new take on the story without changing the effectiveness of the original series.

9 hours ago, Breezus said:

Have any of you guys seen Erased? It's a completed 12-episode series with thriller and time-travel elements and I think it's the most beautiful anime series I've seen so far. The cinematography is unreal.

I need to get on this.  Been wanting to sit down and watch it for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Breezus said:

Anyone else following the new seasons of Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia? Every Saturday feels like Christmas for me. It's also a really cool experience to see the manga scenes come to life (I usually watch the anime before the manga but with AOT, that wasn't possible).

Watched the first episode of AOT season 2.  Loved it.  Haven't watched any MHA yet, but the blu-ray is coming out this month and I wanna get it so I'll do that and start watching then.

1 hour ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Watched the first episode of AOT season 2.  Loved it.  Haven't watched any MHA yet, but the blu-ray is coming out this month and I wanna get it so I'll do that and start watching then.

Yeah, I saw S2E1 of AOT twice already and probably will again before Saturday. Didn't love the new OP at first but it's really grown on me (ED has so many manga spoilers/hints though, holy shit). It's a shame it's just gonna have 12 episodes but since I didn't have to wait 4 years for new episodes, I'm not that mad.

MHA is amazing. I didn't even want to check it out at first but now it's become one of my favorite anime series. Can't wait to get the Blu-Ray as well.

On 3/18/2017 at 4:22 PM, Breezus said:

There's some good videos about theories and breakdowns, check out https://www.youtube.com/user/DouchebagChocolat/search?query=evangelion

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ExtraFox said:

I watched a lot of anime in the 90s and have dipped my toe in every so often since then. This is in my top three and was only previously available as a Region 4 DVD:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alltheanime/mind-game?ref=home_recs

Man. That looks awesome. Do they even make weird shit like they made in the 90s anymore?

Finished Hunter x Hunter (2011) last week and holy shit, it was damn near flawless. 148 episodes and it just kept getting better and better, while each arc had a compelling theme and cast of characters. It should definitely get as much love as the universally-acclaimed Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood when top-quality series are being discussed.

On a sidenote, has anyone seen the Ghost in the Shell live-action adaptation? Honestly, I thought it was pretty good. Sure, the dialogue was dumbed-down and there were several changes but I could live with that. I liked that they tried to tell their own story without shitting on the source material, while still paying tribute to some of the iconic scenes from the 1995 film. Also, the action scenes and the stunning cinematography alone made this film worth-watching. It's a shame the whole whitewashing nonsense completely overshadowed what is arguably one of the better (western) anime adaptation in a long time, if ever. Not even most Japanese people gave a shit about the casting when they were asked lol

49 minutes ago, Breezus said:

Finished Hunter x Hunter (2011) last week and holy shit, it was damn near flawless. 148 episodes and it just kept getting better and better, while each arc had a compelling theme and cast of characters. It should definitely get as much love as the universally-acclaimed Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood when top-quality series are being discussed.

Yessss.  God I love that show so much.  My only complaint (and it's the one and only complaint I have about the creators other show, and my favorite anime of all-time: Yu Yu Hakusho), is that the last few episodes/ending in general feels incredibly rushed.  Like just as it seems like a whole new large story-line is about to start, the whole series just ends.

Then again, the creator is pretty famous for taking incredibly long hiatus' in the middle of projects.

Edited by FiggyPuddling

On 21/04/2017 at 3:51 PM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Man. That looks awesome. Do they even make weird shit like they made in the 90s anymore?

It really is. I spent 10 Years (2000-2010; before I had small humans in my life) searching out the best films I could find in pretty much every genre. This was one of the result in Anime.

Forgot to mention I'm all caught up with My Hero Academia now!  Bought the blu-ray when it came out a couple weeks ago, then caught up with season 2 on Crunchyroll.

Other than that, I've just been keeping up with stuff I've been watching for a while like One Piece and Dragon Ball Super.  Can't believe I'm so behind on Attack On Titan season 2 right now.  I've only watched the first episode so far.

I did also buy the "deluxe" blu-ray of One Punch Man last week though!  Excited to watch the dub of that since I've only seen it subbed.

On 4/26/2017 at 3:43 AM, FiggyPuddling said:

Yessss.  God I love that show so much.  My only complaint (and it's the one and only complaint I have about the creators other show, and my favorite anime of all-time: Yu Yu Hakusho), is that the last few episodes/ending in general feels incredibly rushed.  Like just as it seems like a whole new large story-line is about to start, the whole series just ends.

Then again, the creator is pretty famous for taking incredibly long hiatus' in the middle of projects.

Yeah, I heard the reason why the HxH ending felt rushed was because the manga itself has been on hiatus for years, so there never was a proper conclusion. Still think it's weird that they couldn't come up with a more complete ending, even if it was anime-original in 148 episodes. I did miss Hisoka and the Troupe in the final arc and Kurapika barely showed up too. Two more episodes or so couldn't have hurt but oh well, I still gave it a 10/10 on MAL.

2 hours ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Forgot to mention I'm all caught up with My Hero Academia now!  Bought the blu-ray when it came out a couple weeks ago, then caught up with season 2 on Crunchyroll.

Other than that, I've just been keeping up with stuff I've been watching for a while like One Piece and Dragon Ball Super.  Can't believe I'm so behind on Attack On Titan season 2 right now.  I've only watched the first episode so far.

I did also buy the "deluxe" blu-ray of One Punch Man last week though!  Excited to watch the dub of that since I've only seen it subbed.

Super jealous, I hope Region B releases will come out for MHA and OPM soon, I need to rewatch them. The English dub for OPM is actually really good, I saw most of S1 dubbed (even though I usually prefer subs) and it's just as good as the original imo.

Man, you need to get up to date with AOT quick, every episode has been fucking amazing so far and as a manga reader, I can say that it's going to get even better.

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Just watched "Koe no Katachi - A Silent Voice". It's a great movie. It has a lot more emotional stuff than I normally go for, but I still really enjoyed it.

John, did you see the Red Turtle? I want to see it.

I didn't. I saw it the other day at the store though, so I'll probably stream it soon. I still really want to see it, but I couldn't get myself to go to the theater for it. Turns out I pretty much only go to the theater for Star Wars movies.

20 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I didn't. I saw it the other day at the store though, so I'll probably stream it soon. I still really want to see it, but I couldn't get myself to go to the theater for it. Turns out I pretty much only go to the theater for Star Wars movies.

I can't remember the last movie I saw in the theater. I was not aware it already has a release stateside, so I'll probably stream it too.

20 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

Just watched "Koe no Katachi - A Silent Voice". It's a great movie. It has a lot more emotional stuff than I normally go for, but I still really enjoyed it.

Saw it a few days ago as well and it really lived up to the hype.  I actually shed more tears during this one than Your Name. Both incredible films.

• 2 years later...