any anime nerds?

Completely caught up on Dragon Ball Super.  Very pleasantly surprised with how good it ended up getting.  Definitely looking forward to whatever the next arc is.

Wife and I watched Death Parade in a couple sittings.  We loved it.  It looked amazing and the last episode was one of the saddest, yet happiest endings I've seen in an anime.  Curious to see if they'll do more.

Finally finished Akame ga Kill also, which I started earlier this year, but stopped for some reason.  Glad I finished it though cause it was really, really good.

Watched all of One Punch Man as well.  It was good enough that I'd watch it again English dubbed cause I'm curious to hear the voice actors.

Currently I'm about halfway through Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.  Absolutely amazing. Really mad at myself for waiting so long to get into this.

And finally, I just started Shigurui: Death Frenzy.  Decided to check it out because I heard it was like "if David Lynch and Takashi Miike teamed up to make an anime," so I HAD to check it out.  Only watched the first episode so far and it was fantastic.

I marathoned both seasons and the OVA of Darker than Black, over the weekend. I watched it years ago, but did not remember much about it. Season one was good, but season two's plot was kinda odd and all over the place. Yesterday I watched all of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, since I was home with the flu. Fairly interesting, but gets kinda boring.

Still home sick, the flu sucks, any suggestions on anything to watch?

2 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

I marathoned both seasons and the OVA of Darker than Black, over the weekend. I watched it years ago, but did not remember much about it. Season one was good, but season two's plot was kinda odd and all over the place. Yesterday I watched all of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, since I was home with the flu. Fairly interesting, but gets kinda boring.

Still home sick, the flu sucks, any suggestions on anything to watch?

Mindless fun then? If you're up to subs and laughing try konosuba 

13 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Seen everything posted so far.....

/Completely/ mindless? Haven't seen it in a while but for really dumb keks Noucome was fun, it makes fun of a bunch of tropey bullshit. Yuru Yuri was a fun ridiculous SoL. Were you wanting something more plot focused? I named dumb stuff because that's my sick go to

• 3 weeks later...

Got into Attack on Titan last week and I'm already a diehard fan now lol. I mean, I saw all the episodes and OVAs (Junior High too), read the chapters and got some merchandise, all in less than a week (the opening themes also make for perfect gym music). A TV show hasn't had that kind of impact on me since Game of Thrones, it really is something else. Season 2 is gonna be fucking insane.

Finished Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (which was AMAZING), and also started/finished FLCL (which was ALSO amazing).

Got my wife to sit down and watch the English dub of Parasyte The Maxim the other day.  We watched the first 12 episodes in one day, haha.  I've seen the whole thing subbed before but wow they did a great job with the English voice casting, I love it.

Needed something new so I watched the first 2 episodes of Blood-C.  Really digging it so far.  Only 12 episodes so I should get through it in no time.

More than likely going to start Samurai Champloo after that.

*EDIT*: Actually, I got a region-free blu-ray/DVD player for Christmas and I forgot I ordered the complete series of Paranoia Agent from Amazon UK.  And when browsing on the site, I couldn't believe when I saw the original Berserk series is getting re-released on blu-ray at the end of the month.  So I preordered that too.

Edited by FiggyPuddling

On 12/31/2016 at 7:38 AM, Breezus said:

Got into Attack on Titan last week and I'm already a diehard fan now lol. I mean, I saw all the episodes and OVAs (Junior High too), read the chapters and got some merchandise, all in less than a week (the opening themes also make for perfect gym music). A TV show hasn't had that kind of impact on me since Game of Thrones, it really is something else. Season 2 is gonna be fucking insane.

I really loved Attack On Titan until about half way through when people started turning into titans, that's where it just got a little too cheesy for me. Great anime nonetheless though! Strong writing (barring the arc I mentioned but that's subjective) and I love the animation itself. Attack On Titan and Sword Art Online kind of go hand in hand for being two of the most popular anime in the East so if you haven't seen that yet I highly suggest the first season! Season 2 was kind of lackluster.

I'm really picky when it comes to anime, I mainly enjoy slice of life type stuff and never really got into anything Shonen/with too much fighting. Anohana is my absolute favorite series of all time (fun fact, was done by the same studio as SAO) but I also really loved ERASED. Currently watching Kiznaiver, Psycho-Pass and Parasyte, but I'm slacking. Don't let me forget about the films though, Kimi No Na Wa is the most gorgeous animated film I think I have ever seen along with the studio's first film 5 Centimeters Per Second. Wolf Children was fantastic as well, great animation and an absolutely beautiful score.

5 hours ago, Hanabi said:

I really loved Attack On Titan until about half way through when people started turning into titans, that's where it just got a little too cheesy for me. Great anime nonetheless though! Strong writing (barring the arc I mentioned but that's subjective) and I love the animation itself. Attack On Titan and Sword Art Online kind of go hand in hand for being two of the most popular anime in the East so if you haven't seen that yet I highly suggest the first season! Season 2 was kind of lackluster.

I'm really picky when it comes to anime, I mainly enjoy slice of life type stuff and never really got into anything Shonen/with too much fighting. Anohana is my absolute favorite series of all time (fun fact, was done by the same studio as SAO) but I also really loved ERASED. Currently watching Kiznaiver, Psycho-Pass and Parasyte, but I'm slacking. Don't let me forget about the films though, Kimi No Na Wa is the most gorgeous animated film I think I have ever seen along with the studio's first film 5 Centimeters Per Second. Wolf Children was fantastic as well, great animation and an absolutely beautiful score.

You mention you're into slice of life stuff.  I'm usually not into that, but I've heard "Welcome To The NHK" is great.  Have you seen that?

10 hours ago, FiggyPuddling said:

You mention you're into slice of life stuff.  I'm usually not into that, but I've heard "Welcome To The NHK" is great.  Have you seen that?

I haven't, I have heard of it though. I'm honestly slacking hard when it comes to anime and have a lot of series I need to catch up on and even start.

I can't believe you've only just watched FMA Brotherhood and haven't started Samurai Champloo.  They are staples! 

I'm almost finished with Ajin Demon Hunter S2.  I only really watch things on Netflix cause I'm lame, but this show is pretty cool.

Also never gonna finish but I'm on episode 60 or so of Fairy Tail.  Stupid show but its fun and easy to watch, so I def enjoy it.

On 1/9/2017 at 11:56 AM, Hanabi said:

Been meaning to check out Sword Art Online but I plan on seeing Cowboy Bebop, Tokyo Ghoul, FMA: Brotherhood and Samurai Champloo first. On a sidenote, I finally got into and finished Death Note recently (I know, I know, I'm late to the party but I took a decade-long break from anime since I lost interest in middle school). It was on my to-watch list for years and even though I get the ending, I'm not sure if I was fully satisfied by it.

Maybe I'm a piece of shit but I kinda wanted to see him get away with it.

Fully agree about Kimi no Na Wa and the other Shinkai and Hosoda works you mentioned. Your Name is actually my favorite film of 2016 (and I thought last year had a plethora of great movies), it just blew me away. I hope I can get my hands on the Blu-Ray sooner rather than later.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished all 3 seasons of Bakuman and I highly recommend that anyone go watch it, it's about 2 aspiring manga artists and it's done by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata of Deathnota fame. Fantastic story and the art is top notch (it was a 20 volume Manga before it was an anime).

Space Dandy was really awesome, waiting to watch S2 until I can buy it but I might break down and pirate it if I can't wait. Definitely watch it if you like awesome random shit in every episode.  

Mob Psycho 100 is on par with ONE's other work One Punch Man, if you liked OPM than Mob Psycho is the obvious next step.

Kill la Kill I watched recently and damn that's a good show, I know I lot of people didn't like it but I really enjoyed watching it (enough to shill out money for an Aniplex release). People have a problem with fanservice I guess but the story is pretty solid if you took that away.

FLCL... What the fuck is that show jfc, I mean it was good but I understood it about as much as when I tried reading the manga.

Penguindrum is a crazy fucking show like FLCL, I legitimatelty couldn't tell you what it's about, I'm not done watching it but I doubt it'll make sense at the end.

Umaru-Chan was a really cute funny short anime, definitely worth the time it takes to watch 12 episode. I get why people don't like it though.

I've started watching Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet.

That's what I've been watching the last 2 months while I've been on an anime binge, so we'll see how much of my list I can burn through while I'm still in the mood.

51 minutes ago, batman said:

I hate whoever suggested Clannad. The feeeeeeeeeels :(

And I'm only on Ep 7 of After Story. Apparently it gets much worse? Fuuuuuuu...

Okay I want to watch this, but I really don't like how it looks based on screenshots.  Like it looks like how I imagine anyone who doesn't watch anime thinks anime looks, if that makes sense.  I guess you'd call it "stereotypical."

18 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Okay I want to watch this, but I really don't like how it looks based on screenshots.  Like it looks like how I imagine anyone who doesn't watch anime thinks anime looks, if that makes sense.  I guess you'd call it "stereotypical."

The character design is a bit redundant, but it's beautifully animated overall. It's a little girly/melodramatic, but the wife and I have really enjoyed it so far. Good bit of mystery and supernatural aspects mixed in as well. I still don't really know what's going on in some parts, which adds to the intrigue. Some arcs have been better than others, but overall it's a solid show. And the feels. 

29 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

5 minutes ago, batman said:

The character design is a bit redundant, but it's beautifully animated overall. It's a little girly/melodramatic, but the wife and I have really enjoyed it so far. Good bit of mystery and supernatural aspects mixed in as well. I still don't really know what's going on in some parts, which adds to the intrigue. Some arcs have been better than others, but overall it's a solid show. And the feels. 

Remind me when you finish and I'll link you to some explanation of that shit if you don't get it. It isn't exactly clear due to how it was adapted. It's from an old KEY visual novel and there's some artifacts of that because they basically compressed all of the routes into the show for the most part (with some anime original stuff iirc). The character designs are also a result of that. They look 1000% like old VN art from that time (though the eyes are still kinda odd).

Anyway, it's a solid show it just is easier to understand some of the weird shit if you know why/how it is that way (or it was for me at least)