The Walking Dead

mcm1610

Though the cliffhanger was still frustrating, I think I understand why it happened now. At the beginning it seemed like a cliffhanger just for the sake of tension and to keep people interested, but now it's really more of a split between the "Before" and "After". The last episode was really the end of the Post-Negan Era, and now this is the beginning of something really different. It sort of redefines the show. You know? So as annoying as it seemed, I kind of understand what they were trying to do now. At this point they can start from scratch and reinvent themselves, for example Rick looking nervously at that walker while driving away with all of his confidence and experience shattered. I'll definitely miss seeing Glenn every Sunday though.  Steven Yeun has done a fantastic job over the years. 

Also, Maggie is fucking awesome. I loved that she was the first person to stand up after that whole ordeal and still insist they fight back.

Edited by Han Solo

Missed the premier because i went to the Red Hare, Scream, Cedar Crest County Club Skate Ramp Documentary show. However, my wife told me about some script leak she found, which was pretty spot on apparently. Was bummed to hear what happened, but will catch up later.

If the writers really wanted to break from the comic and move into new narrative space they should kill Carl. He's the worst. Bigly.

11 hours ago, Subdomestic said:

I think they could have made that episode the season finale without affecting the story at all. The cliffhanger looks even more unnecessary now.

I think Hans post nails exactly why they did thE season opener like they did rather than end last season with the killings.  You have 6 seasons of TWD, neegan happens, and you'll now have xxxx seasons of TWD.  this episode will be that dividing point in the series everyone will reference

4 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I think Hans post nails exactly why they did thE season opener like they did rather than end last season with the killings.  You have 6 seasons of TWD, neegan happens, and you'll now have xxxx seasons of TWD.  this episode will be that dividing point in the series everyone will reference

I get it. I just still feel like last night's episode would have fit much better at the end of last season. It felt much more like a season finale than an opener to me.

31 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I get the point that it divides the series into the pre and post Negan world, but to me the premiere still felt like it was the final stage of Rick losing control.  By the end of the episode it was  clear that they are now broken and will be following Negan's rules. That "end of the era of Rick" seems like a good point to close the season. We'd still all tune in to see how the group functions under Negan, if they'd try to regroup and attack, how the survivors deal with the fallout, etc... I think it does it a good job setting up what's coming.

I guess it's just semantics if we consider the diverging point as the intro of Negan or the breaking of Rick.

1 hour ago, mattisr1984 said:

they could have really thrown everyone for a loop and split the killings - abe at the finale, glenn in the premiere. 

This is what they should've done. Instead you don't get to really process either death since they also jump right back to Rick and his situation.

Jesus fucking Christ ... that was insane. I'm surprised I didn't throw up. I saw it earlier today and I don't think I've still fully processed it.

While I still think the cliffhanger was the worst thing TWD has ever done, I am glad this show finally got their balls back with this season premiere. As much as it hurt, something big really needed to happen.

I'm going to put this show on pause. It's not the worst thing by any stretch of the imagination, but I just can't imagine watching this for another 5-plus years at the moment. It's such a vicious slog and it's so mean-spirited devoid of really well-written characters to suffer through it all. Plus, it's not really building up to any kind of "end goal" since it's a money machine so it's not like these two deaths really amount to anything other than shock and awe. 

I'll be breaking until a final season is announced. Glad every one else liked it, though. 

I didn't watch all of season 6 but I watched the last episode so I knew what was going on for the most part. I was so dedicated to this show until after they escaped the cannibals, then it all seemed like such a chore to watch for little payout. The S7 opener kinda changed that, so I'll probably watch all of S6 and keep watching 7 as well. Sucks we lost Glenn, but I was never too invested in Abe. We're down to just a few S1 characters, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad at this point. 

1 hour ago, throughbeingcruel said:

I didn't watch all of season 6 but I watched the last episode so I knew what was going on for the most part. I was so dedicated to this show until after they escaped the cannibals, then it all seemed like such a chore to watch for little payout. The S7 opener kinda changed that, so I'll probably watch all of S6 and keep watching 7 as well. Sucks we lost Glenn, but I was never too invested in Abe. We're down to just a few S1 characters, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad at this point. 

gonna be hard to off anymore s1 characters for awhile - although im not so sure i see morgan making it out alive this season. 

43 minutes ago, mattisr1984 said:

gonna be hard to off anymore s1 characters for awhile - although im not so sure i see morgan making it out alive this season. 

I've been hoping they'd kill Rick for awhile, and I wouldn't have been surprised if they had killed Darryl instead of Abe or Glenn since he's not from the comics. Most of the S1 characters seem to be totally blowing it right now.