P.O. Now: Lydia - Illuminate (15th Anniversary)

From a recent interview:

ABS: You guys have gone on the record about your dislike of major labels, with one of your major issues being ownership of Illuminate so that you could get it out on vinyl. I came across a vinyl pre-order for the album – does that mean you got it back?
LA: No. 

ABS: Was the pre-order real?
JC: It’s real. It’s just unfortunately not going through us. We are going to be releasing it ourselves shortly. We just haven’t been able to announce it yet because all the packaging isn’t put together.

ABS: So where’s that pre-order from?
LA: The pre-order is through a completely different company that unfortunately went underneath us and just cut us out of the loop. How it works is - a major label - they don’t care. It’s just money. They sold the rights to a company that has nothing to do with us and then they put the pre-order up for sale because they knew the demand was there. We’re doing our own sale but we just haven’t announced it yet.

ABS: Are you going to see any royalties from that?
LA: No. Zero. 

ABS: How’d you find out about it?
JC: I found out on Twitter.
LA: I found out on Twitter as well. People have been tweeting saying, “I can’t believe it’s on vinyl now!” We’re like, “Ugh.”

ABS: Are you planning to set the record straight?
LA: We haven’t yet, but we will be. We’re trying not to make a war out of it. We’re trying to be professional about it.

ABS: And also releasing it on vinyl yourselves?
LA: We’re going to release it on vinyl ourselves. The reason that it’s kind of a bummer to me is because they did it on a substandard version of a disc so it’s not going to sound very good. We’re going to do it on a really high quality version.

• 3 weeks later...

Sucks their label did this. Sucks more that they were so young not knowing what they were signing back when this was put out. Sucks d, but they probably could have covered their bases better when being signed.

wasn't it originally an indie release? the cd was originally released on linc star, the second run on low altitude. are those under a major label umbrella? because i was under the impression they were just indie labels

• 2 years later...

ok homies, help me out. i can't find a thread on this anywhere, although VC's search function sucks (it didn't turn up the word "illuminate" anywhere in the forums, soooo...)

what's the deal with this press of 'this december'? http://badtimingrecords.limitedrun.com/products/559578-lydia-this-december-its-one-more-and-im-free

why didn't i hear about it? is it legit? sketchy? am i bringing this to light for the first time? again, couldn't find a thread for it because the search function is horse shit... any info on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

7 minutes ago, chamb117 said:

ok homies, help me out. i can't find a thread on this anywhere, although VC's search function sucks (it didn't turn up the word "illuminate" anywhere in the forums, soooo...)

what's the deal with this press of 'this december'? http://badtimingrecords.limitedrun.com/products/559578-lydia-this-december-its-one-more-and-im-free

why didn't i hear about it? is it legit? sketchy? am i bringing this to light for the first time? again, couldn't find a thread for it because the search function is horse shit... any info on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

About two years too late.  It was the real deal.

4 hours ago, chamb117 said:

It's a good pressing, in my opinion.

I entered this topic hoping for news about the band's reissue of "illuminate" actually...:(

45 minutes ago, helsabot said:

It's a good pressing, in my opinion.

I entered this topic hoping for news about the band's reissue of "illuminate" actually...:(

Don't hold your breath, bands love to bitch about someone else pressing their record, then never making good on their end when they say they were gonna go all out on the pressing. The Mars Volta camp did the same shit. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2017 at 5:44 AM, throughbeingcruel said:

Don't hold your breath, bands love to bitch about someone else pressing their record, then never making good on their end when they say they were gonna go all out on the pressing. The Mars Volta camp did the same shit. 

i still email their mgmt company asking WHERE TF the band pressing of illuminate is and how stupid they are for leaving so much money and want on the table. 

On 8/22/2017 at 5:44 AM, throughbeingcruel said:

Yeah, but how many people can match the sheer douchebaggery of TMV? I own all of the first four, and given anything I've heard the band master their copies would probably sound like ass anyway.

would totally hop on a band press of the Lydia though. I randomly saw them last year and it was pretty cool too, they had a whole string section.

11 hours ago, Holo said:

Yeah, but how many people can match the sheer douchebaggery of TMV? I own all of the first four, and given anything I've heard the band master their copies would probably sound like ass anyway.

would totally hop on a band press of the Lydia though. I randomly saw them last year and it was pretty cool too, they had a whole string section.

Only people who can top the Volta douchebaggery are their fans. Literally everyone I knew was fucking obsessed with them in the Amputechture/Bedlam days.

10 hours ago, Holo said:

I haven't met any rabid fans, but I wasn't around in those days so I can't really speak.

Just think of a 16 year old who heard Circa Survive the first time they smoked pot and thought they were "transcendent" and that was basically every Volta fan I've ever met in person. 

• 1 year later...
  • tokimedo changed the title to P.O. Now: Lydia - Illuminate (15th Anniversary)