Any comic book readers?

30 minutes ago, seasalt said:

I might have to track down the trade next weekend then, thanks for the rec! Any other good series flying under the radar? I'm in the market to beef up my pull list.

Four Kids Walk Into a Bank has been excellent.  It's a four issue mini-series and the fourth isn't out yet, probably be easiest to wait on the trade there.  Real fun crime book, super humorous.

Not sure if Black Monday Murders is under the radar,  but I've been really enjoying it too.  First trade of that came out recently, would be real easy to get caught up.  The new Jeff Lemire series Royal City has been good so far, only two issues out for it.

15 hours ago, armadillo01 said:

Is it like his OGN material? Does it work as single issues? I forget whether this is on my pull-list or not. 

Haven't read OGN, so I can't comment on that.  I think it's good reading it issue to issue, it seems to give just enough to keep me anticipating the next one.

Edited by jonrawks

6 minutes ago, THE_James_Champ said:

OGN means original graphic novel, like his creator owned work 

Oh, haha.  I have no idea how I didn't know that.  Google just kept giving me a Teen Titans thing he did, so I assumed it was that.  I'd say Royal City reminds me a bit of The Nobody a bit.

9 hours ago, jonrawks said:

Oh, haha.  I have no idea how I didn't know that.  Google just kept giving me a Teen Titans thing he did, so I assumed it was that.  I'd say Royal City reminds me a bit of The Nobody a bit.

Say no more! That and Underwater Welder are my fave of his OGN work (well, nothing touches Essex County but I actually grew up there for a spell so it's a different story for me).

9 hours ago, THE_James_Champ said:

I'm enjoying the book he and Snyder are doing together, After Death. His art is just so obscure, but beautiful.

Gonna buy the HC when it comes out later in the summer. Can't wait!

I own an original page from Sweet Tooth. Lemire's my dude! I'm reading Descender regularly from him.

If you haven't checked it out, he did a project with the lead singer of a favourite band here in Canada, The Tragically Hip. It's a great work called Secret Path and it's on YouTube too since it's a government-funded multimedia piece.

1 hour ago, armadillo01 said:

Say no more! That and Underwater Welder are my fave of his OGN work (well, nothing touches Essex County but I actually grew up there for a spell so it's a different story for me).

Gonna buy the HC when it comes out later in the summer. Can't wait!

I own an original page from Sweet Tooth. Lemire's my dude! I'm reading Descender regularly from him.

If you haven't checked it out, he did a project with the lead singer of a favourite band here in Canada, The Tragically Hip. It's a great work called Secret Path and it's on YouTube too since it's a government-funded multimedia piece.

Descender ruuuuules. I like Lemire's stuff but I've still never gotten around to Sweet Tooth (I know, shame, shame).

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Descender ruuuuules. I like Lemire's stuff but I've still never gotten around to Sweet Tooth (I know, shame, shame).

Sweet Tooth is a big commitment (60 issues). I don't blame you! I do think he's at his best when he's writing sci-fi though. Trillium is also brilliant.

1 minute ago, armadillo01 said:

Sweet Tooth is a big commitment (60 issues). I don't blame you! I do think he's at his best when he's writing sci-fi though. Trillium is also brilliant.

I don't mind a big commitment, but I'll have to wait until I'm caught up on my Mignolaverse run right now. I'm getting close, I've been following the reading order here and I just finished the two Hellboy in Hell collections which puts me on ...#53 of 69 volumes listed I think? Plus the new stuff that'll be coming out this year. I can only bring myself to do collections for that stuff (or anything really any more.)

11 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I don't mind a big commitment, but I'll have to wait until I'm caught up on my Mignolaverse run right now. I'm getting close, I've been following the reading order here and I just finished the two Hellboy in Hell collections which puts me on ...#53 of 69 volumes listed I think? Plus the new stuff that'll be coming out this year. I can only bring myself to do collections for that stuff (or anything really any more.)

Oh wow, what a nicely designed reading order, too! I think I only read those Hellboy Library Editions and a little bit of the Plague of Frogs BPRD before sort of giving up. I should do that someday myself.

14 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Speaking of Hellboy, I think you owe me a TPB ;)