San Antonio

There are the obvious touristy things to check out in SA: the Alamo, River Walk, Tower of the Americas, any of the other missions. There's also Market Square (El Marcado) downtown.

San Antonio is really spread out, so if you want to venture outside of downtown, you'll definitely need a car.

For records, check out Hogwild - 1824 North Main

North St. Mary's has some cool bars with live music most nights

To eat - there are tons of little taquerias around the downtown area, all of which will have amazing mexican food. There are a few restaurants on the River Walk that are good, but are usually really expensive. There's a place on the east side of downtown called Pico de Gallo that has some really good food.

I'd use Yelp and see what's good close to where you're staying.

my mom said that when she went to san antonio, the alamo was the second most disappointing important piece of history she'd ever seen, being eclipsed only by the mona lisa.

also, a girl she went there with asked why they built the alamo in the middle of downtown san antonio. derp.

I just moved from there after about 10 years and I kind of miss it!

First off, hopefully you have a rental car because the public transportation there is just buses...and taxis I guess.

Hogwild Records is definitely cool.

For food, I highly recommend The Cove...it's been on DD&D and some other shows, it's so good.

http://thecove.us/cove/

The Alamo is pretty much a let down, but if you are into bikes you can rent a bike and ride a trail that hits all of the other missions in the area. Some of the other missions are way cooler than the Alamo and a little bit less touristy.

I'll post again if I think of anything more!

my mom said that when she went to san antonio, the alamo was the second most disappointing important piece of history she'd ever seen, being eclipsed only by the mona lisa.

also, a girl she went there with asked why they built the alamo in the middle of downtown san antonio. derp.

The Alamo is pretty disappointing, but it's far from the disappointment of Tombstone, AZ.

^^^ Oh yeah, the Cove. I used to work down the street from there. Great fish tacos! They used to have live wrestling there too.

I don't know what people expect when they go to see the Alamo that would make it such a let down.

The thing about it is, when you see it in history books or wherever, it never shows the big buildings around, or the Ripleys Believe it Or Not Museum facing it. The other missions just seem a lot more legit.

^^^ Oh yeah, the Cove. I used to work down the street from there. Great fish tacos! They used to have live wrestling there too.

I don't know what people expect when they go to see the Alamo that would make it such a let down.

The thing about it is, when you see it in history books or wherever, it never shows the big buildings around, or the Ripleys Believe it Or Not Museum facing it. The other missions just seem a lot more legit.

That's understandable. To me it's a symbol of sacrifice; people willing to give their lives for Texas and its independence from Mexico.

took my friend one year. i hyped it up so much for shits and giggles, when he finally went in and we left (6 minutes later), he said "you took me all the way over here to walk into a walk-in closet?"

as far as eateries, if you can get out of downtown, try ROLANDOS Supertacos at 919 West Hildabrand. Probably the biggest breakfast taco you've ever seen.

pigstand (1508 broadway) for chicken fried steak or hamburgers among other things. this place is more a local establishment.

jailhouse cafe (918 N. Main ave) dont eat there, just go grab a cinnamon roll. you won't be disappointed. see:

[image]

as far as record stores go, you have hogwild. don't go there with high expectations. place is rather expensive and semi-bland. as far as records go at least. maybe thats just me.

the ghost tracks - i'm not sure where its at, but the locals can show you. i know it's by a cemetary. it's a rather good story and if you go at night it can be a bit spooky if the story is told to you for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...