Photo

Third Eye Blind - S/T

• Please log in to reply
483 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   almightyseancore

almightyseancore
  • Locationst.louis

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:40 PM

i have been living in a secret shame since 1997 for adoring this album.

i had it when it was brand brand new, yellow cover and all, and loved it!

most notably the last half of the album (guess that would be side 2 on the record? if there is a record?)

kids at school would laugh at me for liking it, though they only knew the singles. i kept trying to sell people on it and they all thought i was a dweeb.

now here, in the magic computer future, i've been noticing that other people, people with really rad taste in music, still seem to have a love for this album as well and it's nice to finally be able to say, without shame, that it truly is a great record.

i also feel the same about counting crows "recovering the satellites", but that's another story.

so yeah, let's talk about why this is such a rad record, especially since the band dissolved into a crusty white turd after they cranked this out.

http://www.youtube.com/v/RZ8wVKPUN_g&hl=en&fs=1

Banner

#2 OFFLINE   headtowall

headtowall
  • LocationBrookyln

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:43 PM

awesome record. I wish i owned the vinyl. lowest i've ever seen it go for is $55

#3 OFFLINE   cesar11

cesar11
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:50 PM

I love this record so much and don't give a fuck if I get made fun of. I also got this as a birthday gift about 2 yrs ago.

#4 OFFLINE   catparade

catparade
  • LocationAmish Country, PA

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:50 PM

this album rules, and blue rules.

just busted out my copy of blue on vinyl last night and had a listen.

#5 OFFLINE   derkwithano

derkwithano
  • LocationNew Bedford, MA

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

this needs a repress so fucking badly

35912924.png

www.workingmanrecs.com

www.deadformat.net/tradelist/derkwithano

I'm not one for these "cash-back" sites, but Ebates.com is legit. There are plenty of websites you are buying records from that will offer you a cash-back percentage back. Take advantage of this and essentially get your records for less! Sign up here.

#6 OFFLINE   atarirec

atarirec
  • LocationAmid the West Coast of the U.S. of A.

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

almightyseancore.... i can definitely relate.

this album is solid...

purchased it new on vinyl around '97 or so for about $12.99 at the Berkeley Amoeba.... side's C & D received the most rotation, as opposed to side's A & B.

...sold it couple years ago for $100+ on ebay.

#7 OFFLINE   lastdeclarations

lastdeclarations

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

i would give one of my nuts to own this on vinyl. definitely one of my top 10 ever. but OP is a dumbfuck for saying they turned into shit after this. all of their albums are fantastic. ursa major might be the worst, but it's still a solid album. i saw them for the second time last week, and they put on a really quality show. i've never been made fun of for liking them, though... on the contrary, 3eb seems to be one of the most universally loved bands i can think of. girls, frat bros, scene kids, hipsters, etc. all seem to have respect for their music. the st. louis music scene must be a crusty white terd.

#8 OFFLINE   retrospectacle

retrospectacle
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:20 PM

In my opinion, what happened was shortly after this LP hit its zenith, a rumor started circulating that the band didn't write one song on the entire album - not even a lick. Instead, each song was crafted by someone else (can't recall the guy's name right now) and then TEB's lack luster follow-up pretty much proved the rumor to be true (or, at least, in most minds). Since then they've had no credibiltiy and the self-titled debut was considered a scam.

Anyway, that's how I saw it. But, yes, this LP is killer all the way through and still a pop masterpiece no matter how it went down.

#9 OFFLINE   mariawithoneeye

mariawithoneeye
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

I like this record a lot.

#10 OFFLINE   catparade

catparade

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

In my opinion, what happened was shortly after this LP hit its zenith, a rumor started circulating that the band didn't write one song on the entire album - not even a lick. Instead, each song was crafted by someone else (can't recall the guy's name right now) and then TEB's lack luster follow-up pretty much proved the rumor to be true (or, at least, in most minds). Since then they've had no credibiltiy and the self-titled debut was considered a scam.

Anyway, that's how I saw it. But, yes, this LP is killer all the way through and still a pop masterpiece no matter how it went down.

i do not respect your opinion about blue.

#11 OFFLINE   almightyseancore

almightyseancore
  • Locationst.louis

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

dumbfuck

:-/

honestly i stopped following them after out of vein because i didn't like it, and i was already disappointed in blue.

chicks, jocks, and hipsters like dave matthews too, but you won't find any of his stuff in my collection.

the st. louis music scene must be a crusty white terd.

http://www.youtube.com/v/qdqWa1l96A0&hl=en&fs=1

Banner

http://www.youtube.com/v/VzsAUm032TU&hl=en&fs=1
http://www.youtube.com/v/OLB0JQThdaE&hl=en&fs=1
http://www.youtube.com/v/aO2CHXjkr2o&hl=en&fs=1
http://www.youtube.com/v/8P0iCXo7hEI&hl=en&fs=1
http://www.youtube.com/v/5ySPGI0yyNk&hl=en&fs=1

;D

#12 OFFLINE   lifebystereo

lifebystereo
  • LocationBay area, CA

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

I got so excited seeing this thread, hoping a re-press was happening. One day I will own this! I was pretty happy to find a copy of Blue for $30 at Amoeba last year.

#13 ONLINE   closet weather

closet weather
  • LocationCaliforniyay

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

Never been made fun of for loving this album either. There are so many killer albums from this same time period in the 90's that are in need of represses. Some that come to mind are......Candlebox-S/T, The Counting Crows-AAEA, The Cranberries-EEIDSWCW, Live-Throwing Copper, and Bush-Razorblade Suitcase. I'd like to see all of these repressed.

#14 OFFLINE   cesar11

cesar11
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

damn really? I've never heard that. Yeah everything after this album just did not do it for me.

#15 ONLINE   bathroommonkey

bathroommonkey
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

I never get the hate for Blue. As a whole album I think Blue is better, but some of the songs on the first album are better.

It took me a long time to like Out of the Vein but it's grown on me. I enjoy Ursa Major too.

#16 OFFLINE   retrospectacle

retrospectacle
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

damn really? I've never heard that. Yeah everything after this album just did not do it for me.

None of that was ever proven and it's most likely all false but that's what happend about a year after the LP came out. I know the original guitarist left the band at some point and he was credited as co-writer on the entire album so, maybe that's what started the rumor. But I think he left somewhere after the second or third album. Not sure.

#17 OFFLINE   catparade

catparade

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

i love the s/t and blue, but out of the vein or ursa major are both meh.

i can listen to the first two albums straight through and love it all, but the latter two have several songs on them i like, but i skip the rest.

#18 ONLINE   gkersey

gkersey
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:39 PM

i love the s/t and blue, but out of the vein or ursa major are both meh.

i can listen to the first two albums straight through and love it all, but the latter two have several songs on them i like, but i skip the rest.

I agree with this. Bonfire and Sharp Knife on Ursa are amazing though.

#19 OFFLINE   kjkenney

kjkenney
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

Im actually listening to out of the vein at work right now...whoaz! but the first two albums are suppeeerb in all aspects. they lost their guitarist/co-writer of most everything about 3 months after Blue dropped..since then its basically been Stephen Jenkins trying so freaking hard to keep everything going. but I must say that I respect the hell out of the guy for getting everything done for the band that he has. That being said...Motorcycle Drive-By and Slow Motion are still two of the greatest songs EVAR

Sell me:

Built to Spill- There's Nothing Wrong With Love

Passion Pit- Manners

#20 ONLINE   bathroommonkey

bathroommonkey
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

Slow Motion with lyrics is a pretty crazy song.

I hope that their rock opera thing makes it out one day.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users