Third Eye Blind - S/T

They are having issues with the artwork, I got an email last week asking if we could send over our version of the lp artwork which was already laid out. The quality of that proof they posted on instagram the other week was pretty blurry if you look.

Because of the way the band handled the situation, I will not be giving them anything unless they let our label help them with handling the release as originally planned.

Aw man! Think of the rest of us. It bums me out that they screwed you over, but wouldn't you rather have a decent pressing of this available than a crappy one? I mean, try to get them to let you handle things at all costs. But if that isn't an option, please just charge them a fair amount for the work you did and let them have your layout!

I am trying but based on how they have handled the situation thus far, it is doubtful. Most likely will just be a lower quality pressing than original with blurry artwork

at the very least you should be compensated for your/patrick/whoever's work if you decided to fork it over. Nothing petty about this at all. Kudos for standing your ground.

Aw man! Think of the rest of us. It bums me out that they screwed you over, but wouldn't you rather have a decent pressing of this available than a crappy one? I mean, try to get them to let you handle things at all costs. But if that isn't an option, please just charge them a fair amount for the work you did and let them have your layout!

not unless he gets an exclusive splatter, his logo on it, and a wooden box cover.

at the very least you should be compensated for your/patrick/whoever's work if you decided to fork it over. Nothing petty about this at all. Kudos for standing your ground.

Let professional musicians create music, let professional music publishers publish music. Know your strentghs and stick to em. If they want to botch this release, let em.

Let professional musicians create music, let professional music publishers publish music. Know your strentghs and stick to em. If they want to botch this release, let em.

It's not even about that for me, and while I don't have all the facts it seems really ridiculous to ask him to hand over his work when he had an agreement that was negated.

Reminds me of back in high school when I was suspended from the first game of my senior ice hockey season for something I didnt do, and then my coach asked me to bring my jersey to give to someone else for the team photo.

are you calling third eye blind professional musicians and ETR professional music publishers?

:blink:

not trying to make any enemies here... but the work that ETR has done up to this point absolutely kills Dreamover. and I say that with caution; I love my Emery vinyl. I don't know the history of things and why you are attacking this dude so much, but at least respect the fact that he has shelled out a lot more records than you, and puts out better bands.

to address the 3EB thing, they have sold 8 million records. they can be dicks and get away with it. I hope for the sake of the people who don't own a OG press that the reissue comes out okay, but if doesn't, most likely no one outside of this board will notice/give a shit.

not trying to make any enemies here... but the work that ETR has done up to this point absolutely kills Dreamover. and I say that with caution; I love my Emery vinyl. I don't know the history of things and why you are attacking this dude so much, but at least respect the fact that he has shelled out a lot more records than you, and puts out better bands.

I don't respect that he has put out better bands, because I disagree with this statement. I also sell my releases at very reasonable prices and don't try to get my customers to spring for $120 box sets of the same record. I put out music I want, not music to make money. I do it on the side as a hobby, that's it. I'm not in competition with this label.

I'm just sick of hearing ross's entitled point of view, and how hurt he is this band changed their mind about this label releasing their records. They already released their last record, why would they want someone else to do it and reap the benefits anyway? I'd be real curious to see what the deal was they worked out and why they backed out, and why Ross didn't have them sign a contract.

That's what I'm getting at. If they want to be dicks, fine. Not a lot can be done about that. The band is probably realizing by now they are in way over their heads. If they knew what they were doing, they would have got it done years ago. If they allowed an independent publisher to license it, we'd all have it by now. And done right.

I don't respect that he has put out better bands, because I disagree with this statement. I also sell my releases at very reasonable prices and don't try to get my customers to spring for $120 box sets of the same record. I put out music I want, not music to make money. I do it on the side as a hobby, that's it. I'm not in competition with this label.

I'm just sick of hearing ross's entitled point of view, and how hurt he is this band changed their mind about this label releasing their records. They already released their last record, why would they want someone else to do it and reap the benefits anyway? I'd be real curious to see what the deal was they worked out and why they backed out, and why Ross didn't have them sign a contract.

but if that's the case, then why agree to let a label license it in the first place? putting myself in his shoes.... I'd be pretty devastated too, but then again, 3EB is my favorite band. I really didn't mean to sound disrespectful, reading my post I realized it sounded that way. I wish I could press vinyl as a hobby too. I just think that it's a little wrong to fault the guy for having an "entitled point of view." I'd say he's earned it. and who cares how much he sells his records for? if it's worth that much to the buyer, then it's a fair deal. I didn't complain one bit about paying $50 for that counting crows record, even though I know it cost less than 20% of that to actually produce it. and to be honest man... with you bashing Ross so hard, you are kinda the one that sounds "entitled."

fuck all this noise though.... this talk has got me wanting to spin my OG press.

I'm sure certain people will take this is a biased statement on the situation, but I'm probably the only person period who sees how all these releases happen from the very beginning of the process. I usually know the same amount that Ross knows with every release pretty much right after he finds out about it. I also see the actual, factual truth behind everything, including his motivations when he puts in for certain releases. That being said, every release that ETR has put out has sparked from Ross' personal passion for the band/album released. I have not ONCE heard him say he asked to put out a record purely because he wanted to make money off it, and he does this for a living so even if that was his reason, it's as normal as someone working at an advertising agency wanting to work with Apple because they would make money having them as a client, regardless of whether or not they like their products or not.

The 3eb release was MONTHS in the making and there was an insane amount of work on Ross' part and on my part (I put likely 20 hours of photoshop work into scanning the cd art, retouching the dust, scratches, etc & cutting and pasting things together for a badass gatefold sleeve layout). We both love this album.

I personally spent weeks of my life creating all 100 of those Early November box sets from scratch. Cutting, planing, joining, gluing, sanding, screen printing, designing, assembling, even the packaging and shipping of them. They were only $50, not $120, and for a handmade screen printed wooden box with 2 records, a double sided color poster, and screen printed liner notes, it's worth every fucking penny. We don't do preorders like most of the labels talking shit because we don't want our customers to shell out money and wait 4 months for what they paid for. We also want them to see the final product they are paying for before they buy it. We do this because we can, I do of course understand how some releases need funding from preorders.

I'm proud of what I've done for ETR & what ETR has done for this scene / community / etc.

W

why did you do all that work without having a contract?

Who said we didnt have a contract? We had a contract with Warner Bros who controls elektra records catalog so it was done 100% legally and through the proper channels. We were also told that warner bros got band/management approval before releasing any info to the public which as we now know turned out to be a lie. Regardless, we pulled back because the band reached out being really pissed at the label for approving us with out their consent and we try to do our best to get in touch with the artists and have their blessing for our releases. The reason I am not happy about the situation is that from request to artwork being done and remasters finished took 9 months of waiting and many hours of planning/work on my art and sound guys part. No contact info is listed on any of third eye blind's websites or social networks for management or band members so Warner Bros word was all we had to go on until the official announcement and the band contacting us

I really dont know why you have such a problem with my company, chill out...you may live longer and enjoy life a bit more

that's fucking terrible... props to you guys for doing the right thing and letting the band do what they want. only further proves that y'all are into it for passion, not dollas. you know many labels would have given them the finger and gone off of their contract.

as much as I love 3EB, the more I read about them, the harder it is to have respect for them. from Cadogan, to Tony, to $500 auctions, to this.... ALL BAD.