Third Eye Blind - S/T

the dream is still alive!?!

i really figured that one was dead in the water

Me too then he randomly emailed me a few months ago saying he just got married and moved into a house so he wants to get this done now. I also spoke to him about potentially the "death in the park" ep but not sure if people would be into it. Ideally i would do both at the same time so people can get both and save on shipping but well see if this actually pans out. I have very little faith in it considering andy has been "into it" since 2010 and has yet to get me anything.

Me too then he randomly emailed me a few months ago saying he just got married and moved into a house so he wants to get this done now. I also spoke to him about potentially the "death in the park" ep but not sure if people would be into it. Ideally i would do both at the same time so people can get both and save on shipping but well see if this actually pans out. I have very little faith in it considering andy has been "into it" since 2010 and has yet to get me anything.

i'd buy the death in the park EP too, for what it's worth.

wish i had his address. i'd be like andy dufresne, writing a letter a week asking for it.

Why does a vinyl release need a band's blessing and why would I give a shit? I don't personally know any of the bands I listen to. They could be the nicest guys in the world or total assholes; I don't really care. I just know that I enjoy the music they've made. If someone wants to take the time to legally produce the music on my favorite format then that's great news. The band already gave me their blessing to listen to it when it was originally released. That's all I need.

Your cohort said you don't do preorders.

You do.

Shipping 3-10 days from posting an order is not really a pre-order (especially by today's standards.) Generally it means the item is in hand and being sort/put together. ETR shouldn't really say its a pre-order either if the item is ready to ship. Don't most labels today put up a pre-order before its pressed or in the process of being pressed?

Not trying to throw myself into whatever this argument is about but I felt that this applies to a lot of labels now.

Why does a vinyl release need a band's blessing and why would I give a shit? I don't personally know any of the bands I listen to. They could be the nicest guys in the world or total assholes; I don't really care. I just know that I enjoy the music they've made. If someone wants to take the time to legally produce the music on my favorite format then that's great news. The band already gave me their blessing to listen to it when it was originally released. That's all I need.

I think its just general respect to get the bands involved in each project involving them or their music.

I could not disagree more. There are so many major label AND non-major label albums that haven't even been pressed (that will never get pressed) to vinyl that I'd love to see pressed. If someone can get in touch with the "owners" of the album (the label), and procure a contract, I say go for it. We as music/vinyl collectors benefit from this. In the case that the band gets in contact with you after you begin the process, and they do not desire you to press it, I say respect their wishes, despite the contract. it sucks, but you have to deal with it.

I really think the whole idea of "don't press it unless you get in touch with the band" is kind of not a solution that can be applied to all situations. Sometimes you need to go down other paths to get the ball rolling, as band members aren't the easiest people to get in touch with.

This sense of entitlement and complete disrespect for the artists is disgusting.

Man oh man, everybody chill out for a second. Put somebody behind a keyboard and all of a sudden he becomes a high school bully.

ETR wants compensation for the work they've done, seems fair right? If you do landscaping and you're let go halfway through, you should still be paid for cutting the hedges or mowing the lawn.

As far as not contacting the band directly, big deal, I'm sure he was under the notion that the label had already taken care of it, considering that IS THEIR JOB.

And as far as the irritable regarding ETR making money off of putting out records; that all just goes back to the fifteen year old angsty kid mentality when thinking your favorite band 'selling out' was reason to bitch, or getting angry that the 'cool kids' started liking your same music. Let him make money off of it. Wouldn't you be happier knowing that homeboy can pay his rent without having to worry about a 9-5 based on doing something that he loves? This gives him more time to put out records you dig. It's irritating knowing people get genuinely upset when bands/labels make money. People have to pay rent, they have families to look after.

Case and point- smile more, you'll live longer.

Man oh man, everybody chill out for a second. Put somebody behind a keyboard and all of a sudden he becomes a high school bully.

ETR wants compensation for the work they've done, seems fair right? If you do landscaping and you're let go halfway through, you should still be paid for cutting the hedges or mowing the lawn.

As far as not contacting the band directly, big deal, I'm sure he was under the notion that the label had already taken care of it, considering that IS THEIR JOB.

And as far as the irritable regarding ETR making money off of putting out records; that all just goes back to the fifteen year old angsty kid mentality when thinking your favorite band 'selling out' was reason to bitch, or getting angry that the 'cool kids' started liking your same music. Let him make money off of it. Wouldn't you be happier knowing that homeboy can pay his rent without having to worry about a 9-5 based on doing something that he loves? This gives him more time to put out records you dig. It's irritating knowing people get genuinely upset when bands/labels make money. People have to pay rent, they have families to look after.

Case and point- smile more, you'll live longer.

This.

I've sent dozens of DMCA notices for stolen photos. It's work I've done and other people are benefiting from my work. This is exactly the same thing. Ross/Patrick did the work they deserve to be compensated in some way, end of story. How pissed would you be if at your job they agreed to pay you, then decided to not pay you for your work after you had already done it, but are gonna use it to profit from it. Same scenario, except this is a label and a band.

I don't understand why there is even an argument. If you support ETR, buy their releases. If you don't support ETR or take exception to their business practices... don't buy their releases.

If you take such an exception to their business practices that you feel you need to argue about it on the internet, maybe you should just start your own label and run that label in the manner YOU see fit. Your bitching certainly isn't going to change Ross' mind let alone restructure how he does business. Nor is it going to stop those that enjoy what ETR puts out from buying those items.

Yeah, they don't care about what we've already done except that they know we had our audio guy remaster the album and he got a lot of praise for what he did to Dream Theater for us.

So you do get some sort of non-16-bit master... right? I'm curious because there are quite a few CD-only releases I'd like to hear a better version of. You don't like use iZotope RX and declip them like I do... I hope.

I think its just general respect to get the bands involved in each project involving them or their music.

DING DING DING

If you wrote a book, like poured your heart and soul into this writing and were so proud to present it to the world, and you published it through a book publisher, wouldn't you pissed if you were walking through a bookstore and found out that your publisher had licensed your book to some publisher that specialized in reissuing books as "special editions" with fancy holographic colors or translated it into Spanish or something, without telling you? Music isn't a fucking numbers game. Even terrible terrible terrible bands like 3EB/311/Dream Theatre make music because it's the best method of personal expression they know*. When that expression gets exploited for profit by some guy they've never met, they should be upset at the very least.

And it's been covered that "don't like it, don't buy it" is the worst defense of all time, right?

*this may be giving the above bands too much credit. Statement still applies in general, I try to be an optimist when it comes to people**.

**I think there is a word for this but I don't know what it is.

So you do get some sort of non-16-bit master... right? I'm curious because there are quite a few CD-only releases I'd like to hear a better version of. You don't like use iZotope RX and declip them like I do... I hope.

It depends on the release but for most of the major labels ones including third eye blind, we were using high quality unmastered wav files i believe was what he preferred and having my sound engineer remaster them for vinyl.

DING DING DING

If you wrote a book, like poured your heart and soul into this writing and were so proud to present it to the world, and you published it through a book publisher, wouldn't you pissed if you were walking through a bookstore and found out that your publisher had licensed your book to some publisher that specialized in reissuing books as "special editions" with fancy holographic colors or translated it into Spanish or something, without telling you? Music isn't a fucking numbers game. Even terrible terrible terrible bands like 3EB/311/Dream Theatre make music because it's the best method of personal expression they know*. When that expression gets exploited for profit by some guy they've never met, they should be upset at the very least.

And it's been covered that "don't like it, don't buy it" is the worst defense of all time, right?

*this may be giving the above bands too much credit. Statement still applies in general, I try to be an optimist when it comes to people**.

If you hate the band then why are you even looking at this thread. Just to bust my balls for trying to put out a release which clearly tons of us on this board love, which you had no intention of ever buying?

DING DING DING

This ups be accurate if not for the licensing agreement in which the band/musician/author signed with their label/publishing company, which typically allows with them to go forward with publishing decisions without the artists' consent, provided that royalties still be distributed. This is soley based on a contract per co tract basis though.

From the Enjoy The Ride website front page:

"We have three new records available for pre-order today."

He shouldn't have used those words when posting that - all 3 records were in hand when that was made and they went on sale (hence the photos of the products) - probably used to using that term to describe something as being available to order