Daryl Palumbo clones

So while I consider myself musically knowledgable compared to most I know the collective on this forum knows way more about it than I do.

I've noticed that there are a lot of vocalists now that sound like they were heavily influenced by or are just straight imitating Daryl Palumbo of Glassjaw. For specific examples see Letlive or Lower Definition. So that got me curious.

1. Daryl Palumbo is just the starting point I can think of, are there singers that he was obviously influenced by that I just don't know about? (I was once told Chino from Deftones)

2. I've heard a few singers from earlier that sound like him (Hopesfall and Armsbendback come to mind.) Was this just a style popular at the time?

3. I would love to hear stories of other musicians, vocal or otherwise, that were imitated heavily by other musicians.

fur real. you need to stop the haterade, steven. haha ;)

i love Glassjaw, but i also loved Glassjaw around W&T. Todd and Dave were fucking awesome guys. the Glassjaw lineup since they went 4 piece and only 2 core people were left has always bugged me, yes, i know Manny was around before Dave but still. i've only seen them once without Todd, Dave and Larry and it was mehhh. it doesn't feel like the same band but goddamn if the 7"s and Coloring Book didn't still do it for me.

since the first time i heard Piano, i've always thought Mike Patton. it just has that quirk in the vocals, although Daryl obviously has nothing on Patton. Daryl has really stretched his style from the early days to now so he's become his own at this point.

i honestly can't think of any clones besides maybe the singer of Finch, but he doesn't sound much like him. their influences when they were first signed to Drive-Thru were Deftones and Glassjaw. Daryl slays on the 2 songs on their album too.

The misogyny thing really grates at me, and it's hard to take someone seriously when they sing lines like, "suck on the end of this dick that cums lead.".

You're quoting an 11-year-old song written by an angry teenager who has turned into an eloquent, well-read and extremely creative adult. I'm sure you said stupid shit in high school, too; I know I did. We're just lucky it wasn't recorded for posterity.

The misogyny thing really grates at me, and it's hard to take someone seriously when they sing lines like, "suck on the end of this dick that cums lead.".

You're quoting an 11-year-old song written by an angry teenager who has turned into an eloquent, well-read and extremely creative adult. I'm sure you said stupid shit in high school, too; I know I did. We're just lucky it wasn't recorded for posterity.

not to mention that daryl has stated the vulgarity of some of his lyrics as a reason for not playing some old songs live. ALTHOUGH way back when, daryl was never one for singing the actual lyrics of his songs anyway. iunno.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':b70a7piv]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':b70a7piv]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

who are *The* Deftones? :-*

"I spill my liquor and my buzz is gone"

very profound. :P hard to believe that song is already like 7-8 years old.

Not to pile on, but yeah glassjaw's lyrical content has changed drastically post EYEWTKAS. For me, that album will always be great lyrically in its specific way. During all the years prior to meeting my lovely wife, that was the shit you played when a woman pissed you off. Its an exercise in unbridled rage at the fairer sex.

The same way OFWGKTA gets a pass for the juvenile lyrical content that is pretty much just young angry males expressing themselves during the most volatile parts of social life, Daryl gets a pass imo.

• 4 years later...