Albums That Should Be Pressed on Vinyl

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

Right, but that would go in a "Albums that should be REpressed on vinyl" thread.

;)

So we need a repress/OOP thread? Is there such a thread? Cuz many of the albums that I've posted here actually need repressing. I figured this thread would be most suitable for my wishes, lol.

ThoughtIndustry-ShortWaveOnaColdDay.jpg

The Thought Industry's Short Wave on a Cold Day (2001). Supremely underrated band from Kalamazoo, Michigan. They were on Metal Blade for almost their entire career, despite the fact that their last few albums were in no way metal. Metal Blade didnt know what to do with them. They started in the late 80s playing super technical, out there stuff, like a more metal Mr. Bungle. Dillinger Escape Plan always sounded like a less creative Thought Industry, to my ears.

This album is closer to indie rock than metal. 75+ minutes, many songs that bleed unto each other, and stream-of-consciousness lyrics that demand to be printed on a big vinyl insert. The best album no one's ever heard of. Check out Kiss Judy Fly, Alien and Pure, and Burning Coal with Margaret.

Edited by swazzyswess

15 hours ago, swazzyswess said:

The Thought Industry's Short Wave on a Cold Day (2001). Supremely underrated band from Kalamazoo, Michigan. They were on Metal Blade for almost their entire career, despite the fact that their last few albums were in no way metal. Metal Blade didnt know what to do with them. They started in the late 80s playing super technical, out there stuff, like a more metal Mr. Bungle. Dillinger Escape Plan always sounded like a less creative Thought Industry, to my ears.

This album is closer to indie rock than metal. 75+ minutes, many songs that bleed unto each other, and stream-of-consciousness lyrics that demand to be printed on a big vinyl insert. The best album no one's ever heard of. Check out Kiss Judy Fly, Alien and Pure, and Burning Coal with Margaret.

I would be so jazzed to have any Thought Industry album on vinyl.  I have the Gelatin 7", and that's all they ever did.  Each album was so different from the previous one.  No wonder Metal Blade didn't know what to do with them

On 10/07/2017 at 4:11 PM, swazzyswess said:

Wow that first album they did was pretty awesome! I'm in for this first one. Totally into Avant Garde progressive type shit! Lol

On 10/7/2017 at 7:11 PM, swazzyswess said:

Checked this out just for the hell of it and holy shit.  Needs pressed right now.

9 minutes ago, swazzyswess said:

:D Glad you dig it, and that other people here like Thought Industry! They're one of those bands where I feel like... bad for them, that they never got the attention they deserve.

Being from West Michigan, I grew up in their scene around Kalamazoo.  They really seemed to almost become a bad word once the whole prog-metal scene shifted hard to the jam band and alternative rock of the mid-to-late 90s in K-zoo.  By the time Black Umbrella and Short Wave came out, it was hard to find anyone that was into them, even their peers on the scene that introduced them to me.  They were always awesome live, though.

1 hour ago, Barry Zito said:

Being from West Michigan, I grew up in their scene around Kalamazoo.  They really seemed to almost become a bad word once the whole prog-metal scene shifted hard to the jam band and alternative rock of the mid-to-late 90s in K-zoo.  By the time Black Umbrella and Short Wave came out, it was hard to find anyone that was into them, even their peers on the scene that introduced them to me.  They were always awesome live, though.

Interesting info from someone who was around, thanks man. I've also heard that Brent Oberlin was kind of considered a jerk? If true, that probably didn't help their reputation in the scene.

Did you ever check out his band Cosmonaut? I see on discogs that their album finally came out in 2015, but I haven't heard it.

13 hours ago, swazzyswess said:

Interesting info from someone who was around, thanks man. I've also heard that Brent Oberlin was kind of considered a jerk? If true, that probably didn't help their reputation in the scene.

Did you ever check out his band Cosmonaut? I see on discogs that their album finally came out in 2015, but I haven't heard it.

Brent definitely came off as a jerk, which also likely contributed to the fact that there were so many shake-ups in the band's line-up.  By the time of Short Wave, Brent was the only original member and the vibe of the record may have heavily been influenced by the new guys and their producer, Mike Roche (who played in the band, initially as a bass player after Black Umbrella, then guitars on Short Wave).  

The Cosmonaut record with Brent, Pipebomb Full of Nails, was excellent and actually came out in 2004.  I'm not sure what Brent's contribution was to the record outside of lyrics and vocals, as the band was a collection of younger musicians from Grand Rapids.  His vocal delivery was a return to the more shouting than singing approach from earlier Thought Industry records, mixed with some of the interesting vocal effects and samples he used on Short Wave, and the music is more aggressive too.  Cosmonaut still plays around Grand Rapids quite a bit, but Brent hasn't been with them in a long time.  The other three guys play a more straight ahead rock and recorded an EP with Steve Albini and Bob Weston a few years ago. I didn't think that one was very good at all, but it may have been a biased opinion, wanting it to continue as a post-Thought Industry type record, even though I think they tailored their sound on the Pipebomb because Brent was in the band.