chutterhanban

Albums That Should Be Pressed on Vinyl

13 hours ago, swazzyswess said:

Interesting info from someone who was around, thanks man. I've also heard that Brent Oberlin was kind of considered a jerk? If true, that probably didn't help their reputation in the scene.

Did you ever check out his band Cosmonaut? I see on discogs that their album finally came out in 2015, but I haven't heard it.

Brent definitely came off as a jerk, which also likely contributed to the fact that there were so many shake-ups in the band's line-up.  By the time of Short Wave, Brent was the only original member and the vibe of the record may have heavily been influenced by the new guys and their producer, Mike Roche (who played in the band, initially as a bass player after Black Umbrella, then guitars on Short Wave).  

The Cosmonaut record with Brent, Pipebomb Full of Nails, was excellent and actually came out in 2004.  I'm not sure what Brent's contribution was to the record outside of lyrics and vocals, as the band was a collection of younger musicians from Grand Rapids.  His vocal delivery was a return to the more shouting than singing approach from earlier Thought Industry records, mixed with some of the interesting vocal effects and samples he used on Short Wave, and the music is more aggressive too.  Cosmonaut still plays around Grand Rapids quite a bit, but Brent hasn't been with them in a long time.  The other three guys play a more straight ahead rock and recorded an EP with Steve Albini and Bob Weston a few years ago. I didn't think that one was very good at all, but it may have been a biased opinion, wanting it to continue as a post-Thought Industry type record, even though I think they tailored their sound on the Pipebomb because Brent was in the band.

On 2/19/2016 at 6:07 PM, Tom Servo said:

Stabbing Westward - Darkest Days/Wither Blister Burn and Peel (Man, I wish they'd regroup; The Dreaming is just so mediocre and derivative)

OSI - OSI, Free, Blood 

Boris - Heavy Rocks orange cover/2002

I can't believe none of these have been pressed, especially the OSI and Boris. C'mon, all I want to do is give you people my money!

I was just listening to Stabbing Westward's Darkest Days, thinking about how much I'd like to have it on vinyl, as well as Wither, Blister, Burn and Peel.

7 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

Looks like they've been playing quite a few shows lately. Maybe it'll happen.

I see that too.  I just sent them a message on fb, maybe i'll get a response.  It can't be the first time they've been asked.  To get a properly remastered from original master tapes copy of Darkest Days and WBBP would definitely be a shut up and take my money situation.  I'd gladly fork over $50 for each, no regrets.