Kyuss reissues

• 2 years later...

Just grabbed a copy of Sky Valley recently and I've never seen a first press in person but the cover of my copy looks extremely low resolution. Anyone else notice this? Not that it really matters as long as it sounds good. I still have yet to spin it as it just came this morning and I had to go to work.

Wretch is the most expensive one generally and there's an amazon marketplace seller who is offering for about 30 shipped. The rest can be found on eBay for under $26 shipped each. Its pretty expensive still but for such awesome records that are imported from Germany, its a pretty fair deal.

• 6 months later...

Oh. My. God..... that's so sexy! Beautiful prices on these. I wonder if there are any cool extras like gatefolds or anything cool. Either way, if its just the album on quality black vinyl and nice jacket prints, I'll be satisfied. Nice to shed that import premium.

I think Welcome To Sky Valley is probably their best. I might have to tie Blues For The Red Sun and ...And The Circus Leaves Town. Its hard to rank those. WTSV would probably be the best place to start.

I always thought Blue for the Red Sun would be a good place to start, just with the fluidity of the album and all. But I started on Sky Valley, and never looked back, so McPherson may be spot-on on that one.

I would recommend Blues For The Red Sun. It's the prototypical heavy, stoner blues sound that everyone copies. Plus I'm not sure those who haven't listened to Kyuss yet want to digest three 18 minute plus songs right away.

I would recommend Blues For The Red Sun. It's the prototypical heavy, stoner blues sound that everyone copies. Plus I'm not sure those who haven't listened to Kyuss yet want to digest three 18 minute plus songs right away.

You can find it online broken into individual tracks. Plus even if they were formatted in the 3x18min tracks, you can still hear that the songs are many (more than 3) and differ enough to be understood as separate pieces. I think all of the albums are basically prototypical because they all have a very similar sound but are composed well enough that they all have their own very distinct personalities.

Either Blues For The Red Sun and Welcome To Sky Valley are essential and will put you right on spot about everything you hear when people praise Kyuss.

Problem is you might find Wretch and Circus Leaves Town least interesting or somewhat inferior 'cause they kinda don't represent the pinnacle of the band's discography.

I'm getting Blues for the Red Sun and probably Wretch.

Circus Leaves Town sounds like it leads right into QOTSA, which is fine, but I'm not super into QOTSA...

I can see why people like Sky Valley...it is the more polished, produced sound...

In my opinion, And The Circus Leaves Town is nowhere even close  to QOTSA sound.