What books are you reading?

currently re-reading:

4934.jpg

How is that? I've recently started to be interested in Russian stuff, but I started with Anna Karenina...as long as it's good I plan on moving onto that one next.

Also, I highly recommend everyone sign up on Goodreads.com, it's a great way to keep track of what you and friends are reading/have read/own.

i really enjoyed lullaby. i think my favorite of his that i've read is rant.

still need to read this one. i'll probably read it next.

Rant and Lullaby are his best, Diary is pretty good, and obviously Fight Club is good. The rest range from bland to shitty. I thought Choke was terrible, and Pygmy was bad enough for me to give up on his new stuff. Survivor didn't stick with me that well, so I guess I call it bland.

• 1 month later...

If you like bukowski you might like gerald locklin check out some of his short stories he was a friend of his.

Celine-journey to the end of the night

dostoyevsky- notes from underground

Knut hamsun-hunger

buk often talked about these authors/books having influence on him

sci fi obviously kurt vonnegut

also Anis mojgani is an awesome poet who cites buk as one of his main influences.

I've been reading a lot of non-fiction (civil war and business mostly) but the last fiction I read that I really enjoyed was The Gone Away World.

"A hilarious, action-packed look at the apocalypse that combines a touching tale of friendship, a thrilling war story, and an all out kung-fu infusedmission to save the world.Gonzo Lubitch and his best friend have been inseparable since birth. They grew up together, they studiedmartial arts together, they rebelled in college together, and they fought in the Go-Away War together. Now, with the world in shambles and dark nightmarish clouds billowing over the wastelands, they have been tapped for an incredibly perilous mission. But they quickly realize that this assignment is not all it seems, and before it is over they will have encountered everything from mimes, ninjas, and pirates to one ultra-sinister mastermind, whose only goal is world domination. Unlike anything else,The Gone-Away World is a remarkable literary debut that will be remembered and rediscovered for years to come."

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gone-Away-World-ebook/dp/B001EL6R9W/

If you like bukowski you might like gerald locklin check out some of his short stories he was a friend of his.

Celine-journey to the end of the night

dostoyevsky- notes from underground

Knut hamsun-hunger

buk often talked about these authors/books having influence on him

sci fi obviously kurt vonnegut

also Anis mojgani is an awesome poet who cites buk as one of his main influences.

anis mojgani is amazing.

• 2 months later...

It hit me a few weeks ago, I looked over and saw I had a huge stack of unread books that've been collecting dust for months. Suffice to say, I've gone on a bit of a binge lately, in an attempt to finish the stack and pick up some newer books I've been wanting. (Told myself before that I wouldn't buy any books until I finished what I have, which, rather than motivating me to read them, simply resulted in me not reading what I had as well as not buying anything new)

Anyways, for some reason I decided to start reading the first Hunger Games book yesterday. It wasn't part of my pile, but I found it about a month ago sitting on a bench outside my apartment complex, and after letting it sit there for a day assuming someone would come back for it (to no avail), I decided to take it. That said, it's a really good book so far. It's not my usual type of read, and it's a bit juvenile at times, but I haven't been able to put it down. Shit rules.

Last 2 weeks I've knocked out Then We Came To The End (Joshua Ferris), Clown Girl (Monica Drake), Tell All (Chuck Palahniuk), and Apathy And Other Small Victories (Paul Neilan). All were good, though the Palahniuk book definitely wasn't a favorite. (I appreciated the work he put into the book, but I feel like I'm a good 50 years too young to really appreciate many of the references and subtleties)

Also, to avoid a double post, anybody here use Goodreads? I love the site, but hate how nobody I know uses it!

^

A friend of mine keeps telling me to read Kavalier and Clay I keep forgetting about it. I'll have to check it out.

-------

Did you ever end up reading this (I realize how old this is)? I picked it up impulsively at the used book store a few months back, it's next in the queue for me. Been wanting to read it for some time now!

FInished Welcome to the Monkey House and Slaughterhouse 5 by Vonnegut this month. First Vonnegut experience and I was definitely impressed. Going to tackle Sirens of Titan next I think.

3/4's the way through Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace. Think I like it more than A Supposedly Fun Thing...