What books are you reading?

I take my reading seriously. (Not really, but I've been busy lately.)

For my brainless moments, I've got World War Z going.

For my less-brainless moments, I have Cormac McCarthy's The Crossing going. I love McCarthy novels, and I'm flying through this one.

I've been reading random chapters of Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States, especially the chapter on Carter-Reagan-Bush, because that's a pivotal moment in our recent history and the economic situation(s) that arose from that period.

And because I'm a nerd, I'm reading Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations. It's painfully slow reading because a) it's old which is shown in language as well as ideas B) he writes in baby-steps, taking forever to drag out a point c) I know the overall theory pretty well so I'm waiting for familiar topics which just makes me impatient.

I recently read James Joyce's Dubliners and want to read Ulysses after I finish up probably the McCarthy book (although there's a third book in that trilogy that I may read first). I meant to read Cloud Atlas before the movie came out, but I dunno... I just can't get into it. I also keep meaning to read One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest but don't ever get to it. After Wealth of Nations, I'm reading Keynes' General Theory.

on subject of giving up on books I think i've tried to read house of leaves like 5 times now and I just end up putting it down after a few chapters

I loved House Of Leaves, but it is quite a tough read, especially when you get a little bit farther in and you have to read a 50pg appendix then go right back to where you left off. Also, longest footnotes EVER.

Also, your avatar...woof!

just re-read these:

a>

a>

waiting on this to come in the mail

a>

and then just a stack of graphic novels i just ordered

sam kieths' - zero girl, four women, and my inner bimbo

a bunch of amazing spiderman trades

a bunch of fable spin off titles

and new fables, walking dead, locke and key, and BPRD books

For my less-brainless moments, I have Cormac McCarthy's The Crossing going. I love McCarthy novels, and I'm flying through this one.

I have recently read The Road and Blood Meridian.

The Road is a super fast read. A man and son try to survive in a post-apocalyptic world. They try to remain moral in an unmoral society.

Blood Meridian was much more dense. It is set in the Mexican-American boarder in like the 1850's so it is like wild west shit. He joins a gang to start killing Indians.

Since then I have read three books by Don Winslow.

After reading reviews on where to start with his books I choose Savages and then went to the prequel The Kings of Cool. Both are about two drug dealing kids in southern California. The prequel gets pretty deep into their parent's lives. After that I read California Fire and Life. A crime novel with a love interest. Not really breaking new ground, but the characters are interesting. And now I'm on Satori. It's about a prisoner being held captive by the American's that they decide to free if he will agree to do a task for them that is basically a suicide mission.

Both authors are pretty easy to read, but do a good job of sucking you in. I'll probably keep reading Winslow's novels until I get to one I don't like and switch over to someone new.

Rereading Slaughterhouse 5, loving it.

I think I'm going to kill the unabridged version of Machiavelli's The Prince over winter break when I have some time.

Really want to dig into some Bukowski but I'm always so busy between school and having a life. It's hard enough to make time for music.

Earlier this year I read The Hunger Games Trilogy and The Millennium Trilogy and I could not put them down, but sense then I've been struggling to get hooked on anything. It takes a lot for me to get into a book and I have a ton of books that I have given up on after the first couple chapters because I just lost interest so quickly. Obviously this thread is about what books you are currently reading, but what books would you recommend that hook you from the get-go that you can't put down?

I finished the first Hunger Games book a few days ago. Really liked it. Hope to read the other 2 in the next few months.

As for now, I think I'm going to finally give this a read. I've had it for months, and really wanted to read it, but haven't had the time to dedicate to a book of the size.

168719.jpg?size=large&t=1344313290

Earlier this year I read The Hunger Games Trilogy and The Millennium Trilogy and I could not put them down, but sense then I've been struggling to get hooked on anything. It takes a lot for me to get into a book and I have a ton of books that I have given up on after the first couple chapters because I just lost interest so quickly. Obviously this thread is about what books you are currently reading, but what books would you recommend that hook you from the get-go that you can't put down?

Assuming you've read Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and all of those I would recommend the Eragon series, miles better than the movie and it's hard to put down.

Assuming you've read Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and all of those I would recommend the Eragon series, miles better than the movie and it's hard to put down.

I actually haven't read those. I started reading LOTR but it was too slow for me too. Maybe I just need to give the stuff I do try to read more of a chance.

I actually haven't read those. I started reading LOTR but it was too slow for me too. Maybe I just need to give the stuff I do try to read more of a chance.

Definitely read those! LOTR is a lot of plot development and character building along the way so you have to stick with it. Harry Potter gets pretty good after he gets to Hogwarts and from there it's pretty hard to stop.

• 1 month later...

2013 bump!

Not sure why, but for some reason the last month or so I haven't been able to stop reading. A couple duds, but for the most part I've really been enjoying them.

Since my last post, I knocked out:

World War Z (Max Brooks)

Boomsday (Christopher Buckley)

A Visit From The Goon Squad (Jennifer Egan)

Less Than Zero (Bret Easton Ellis)

Rules of Attraction (Bret Easton Ellis)

The Average American Male (Chad Kultgen)

The Road (Cormac McCarthy)

Apathy and Other Small Victories (Paul Neilan)

Stranger Than Fiction (Chuck Palahniuk)

This Is Where I Leave You (Jonathan Tropper)

John Dies At The End (David Wong)

I've still got about a dozen or so books that I've got ready to be read, so I should be busy for a little while more!

Definitely read those! LOTR is a lot of plot development and character building along the way so you have to stick with it. Harry Potter gets pretty good after he gets to Hogwarts and from there it's pretty hard to stop.

For some reason, I always liked the parts before he would go to Hogwarts more. Haha.

Started reading The Call Of The Weird by Louis Theroux last night. I am a huge fan of his documentaries, so I am loving this book so far.

I finished Life After Death by Damien Echols the other night. Amazing book but I couldn't help feeling like it had the same amount of content as his previous book, Almost Home, which was about a quarter the size and published like eight years ago.

I'm not sure what I am going to read next. I might step away from all of the nonfiction I have taken in and read Red Dragon and Silence Of The Lambs. I'm also thinking about delving into Tolkien's legendarium, but that will take a significant amount of time.

2013 bump!

Not sure why, but for some reason the last month or so I haven't been able to stop reading. A couple duds, but for the most part I've really been enjoying them.

World War Z (Max Brooks)

I've still got about a dozen or so books that I've got ready to be read, so I should be busy for a little while more!

I don't know why but I love 'the rules of attraction' probably my most read book. But right now I'm on a biography kick, reading the Keith Richards and Steve Jobs bio's.

I don't know why but I love 'the rules of attraction' probably my most read book. But right now I'm on a biography kick, reading the Keith Richards and Steve Jobs bio's.

If you get a chance check out "Last Train To Memphis"; it's about the early days of Elvis Presley.  It's pretty awesome.

2013 bump!

World War Z (Max Brooks)

Anything Ellis does is golden.  Just finished Glamorama, really great read.