What books are you reading?

I just finished the "Leo Demidov" trilogy by Tom Rob Smith. All three are politcal thrillers that begin in pre-Stalinist Russia and extend through the Russian ocupation of Afganistan in the 80's. The main character Leo is the common thread through all three books. He starts out a fanatically loyal MGB (pre-KGB secret security force) agent, and ends up a disillusioned advisor in Afganistan and looking to defect.

The first book is a search for a serial killer attacking children along the railroads and the states refusal to believe that a serial killer would even exist in the new Communist era. The second is post Stalin's passing and the fallout from his death.

Pretty interesting reads although the last book lost a bit of steam after the first two being really entertaining reads. Also if you check them out and like them the first book had been made into a movie starting Tom Hardy and Gary Oldman.

• 1 month later...

jesus it took 4 searches to find this thread.

I want to stop being as much of an illiterate fuck as I've been lately and started putting together a list for a book store trip later today or this week.  Anyone have any thoughts on anything in the list or something to add?

The Martian - Andy Weir

The Peripheral - William Gibson

Broken Monsters - Lauren Beuekes

Bone Clocks - David Mitchell

California - Edan Lepucki

Man with Compound Eyes - Wu Ming-Yi

Any other suggestions for a lover of: Pynchon, Bolano, Danielewski, Salinger, Delillo, and many others... Experimental, Post Modern, possibly Dystopian... I feel like I've exhausted most of these "genres" but there's got to be other stuff out there.

bone clocks was cool, but not as good as cloud atlas. there's a lot of fantasy elements that you'll either love or hate. with some stuff that happens early on you'll be a little lost, but it'll all make sense eventually and it was cool going back and rereading those passages and figuring everything out. DM is such a clever writer, so if nothing else, it's a fun read.

jesus it took 4 searches to find this thread.

I want to stop being as much of an illiterate fuck as I've been lately and started putting together a list for a book store trip later today or this week.  Anyone have any thoughts on anything in the list or something to add?

The Martian - Andy Weir

The Peripheral - William Gibson

Broken Monsters - Lauren Beuekes

Bone Clocks - David Mitchell

California - Edan Lepucki

Man with Compound Eyes - Wu Ming-Yi

Any other suggestions for a lover of: Pynchon, Bolano, Danielewski, Salinger, Delillo, and many others... Experimental, Post Modern, possibly Dystopian... I feel like I've exhausted most of these "genres" but there's got to be other stuff out there.

Check out 'No Longer Human' by Ozamu Dazai. It'll leave you baffled and depressed for weeks.

currently reading the summer of beer and whiskey, by edward alchorn. a historical look at the inception of baseball circa the 1880s. pretty entertaining.

but i'm trying to plow through it because...

NEW MARK Z. DANIELEWSKI NOVEL COMES OUT IN A MONTH YEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH (and i didn't know until like four days ago)

couldn't be more stoked. i didn't even realize it had been almost a decade since only revolutionshouse of leaves will always be a favorite of mine.

I unfortunately forgot about it until now haha. A few months before some books were released Barnes and Noble gets Advanced Reader's editions for the employees to have for free. It was pretty awesome. Got quite a few great books from doing that.

Dayum I wish I knew someone that worked there because I NEED The Familiar in my life.

But, for now, I will fill the hole in my heart with other books... Got stuck at work late today but maybe I'll head to the shop tomorrow.

currently reading the summer of beer and whiskey, by edward alchorn. a historical look at the inception of baseball circa the 1880s. pretty entertaining.

but i'm trying to plow through it because...

NEW MARK Z. DANIELEWSKI NOVEL COMES OUT IN A MONTH YEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH (and i didn't know until like four days ago)

couldn't be more stoked. i didn't even realize it had been almost a decade since only revolutionshouse of leaves will always be a favorite of mine.

Apparently the Familiar is going to be a 27 volume series. That's gonna take forever to fully come out...

Dayum I wish I knew someone that worked there because I NEED The Familiar in my life.

But, for now, I will fill the hole in my heart with other books... Got stuck at work late today but maybe I'll head to the shop tomorrow.

Wouldn't that be cool? I need to start reading some Danielewski.

Apparently the Familiar is going to be a 27 volume series. That's gonna take forever to fully come out...

i remember when he announced that he submitted the first five volumes or something to his publishers. i remember thinking, "five volumes?!" and that was at least, like, four years ago. 27 volumes........ jeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus

and volume 1 is 880 pages long. i'll be reading the full 27 for the rest of my life

i remember when he announced that he submitted the first five volumes or something to his publishers. i remember thinking, "five volumes?!" and that was at least, like, four years ago. 27 volumes........ jeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus

and volume 1 is 880 pages long. i'll be reading the full 27 for the rest of my life

Damn. I'm hoping that some volumes are released together as a set or something. Volume 2 is scheduled to come out in October. If he releases in intervals like that it will take 13 years to fully come out. He has to have some other sort of plan for it. That just seems ridiculous. 

I just seem to remember that the first run of The 50 Year Sword was some kind of super limited edition or something? Very expensive and coming in a presentation case or something? I could be wrong. I really enjoyed T50YS but still haven't really got to grips with OR.

First press of T50YS was only pressed in Holland or Germany because no US publisher picked it up or something like that. He re-released it a few years ago - one was a limited edition in a wooden case with latches like in the story, but the main edition is still in print today :P

I'll never come to grips with OR. If I do anything with it I pick it up every once in a blue moon, read a few pages, say "oh, interesting" "eh, weird" "okay that's enough". Mehhhhh