What books are you reading?

What other books is everyone reading? I am under the impression that everyone is quite close here and on many of the boards, and I am having quite the time making any points of conversation. Saturday, I did go vinyl collecting at Fresh Produce. I picked up a  few pieces to add to my shelves. I went to Gottwals too and found myself with more books than anyone needed. Oh, well. Good music and good books are hard to give up.

What other books is everyone reading? I am under the impression that everyone is quite close here and on many of the boards, and I am having quite the time making any points of conversation. Saturday, I did go vinyl collecting at Fresh Produce. I picked up a  few pieces to add to my shelves. I went to Gottwals too and found myself with more books than anyone needed. Oh, well. Good music and good books are hard to give up.

I think you're having problems because you're not reading the threads and expecting people to rehash 50 pages for you, ie:

"What other books is everyone reading?"

Seriously? That's what this entire thread is about.

If this post sounds mean, it's not meant to, but you really need to read a few pages of a thread before you post in it.

That said, I'm about to start The Walking Dead compendium 3, and I'm still working slowly through House of Leaves.

My to-read shelf continues to grow. Saturday I bought:

Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian

Philip Jose Farmer - The Purple Book

Richard MAtheson - I Am Legend

Jack Kerouac - Scattered Poems

Ted Hughes - Birthday Letters

Ted Hughes - Lupercal

going to make a start on Blood Meridian next. Scattered Poems is very short so I'll finish that this week and I'm also reading Folk Horror Revival - Field Studies which is a huge slab of essays and interviews.

The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz [/size]

I read this last year and loved it. The writing style was awesome, like the author was having an informal conversation with you.

Bought a couple used books a few weeks ago (finding good books in English in Mexico is kind of a challenge) but got lucky and found a store that had a small decent section

House of Sand and Fog - I enjoyed it. Liked the storytelling from different perspectives of the same time frame

Love In the Time of Cholera - about halfway and really liking it.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished HoL last week...it was good, but I think it got overhyped for me.

Working on some more Murakami (duh. I think it's safe to call him my favorite author at this point.) "Hear the Wind Sing" and "Pinball, 1973" they're both really short and you can tell he hadn't quite developed the style you expect from him, but Wind has been good so far. I even read the introduction to this book, which I rarely do (though I did for HoL too, since it seems like it's part of the book) and it was a nice glimpse into what how Murakami got started writing.

I haven't read in awhile, but got back into it quickly. Finished

Poet Anderson Of Nightmares

Can I Say - Travis Barker

Shadows of the Empire Star Wars

Up next

Not Dead and Not For Sale - Scott Weiland

Born Standing Up - Steve Martin

Aftermath - Star Wars

Born standing up is realy great and a very quick read. I read it in one sitting on my honeymoon sitting on the beach with a nice drink.

I am currently going between brian grazers book and we got the neutron bomb, the story of LA punk. Both great thus far.

Finished HoL last week...it was good, but I think it got overhyped for me.

Working on some more Murakami (duh. I think it's safe to call him my favorite author at this point.) "Hear the Wind Sing" and "Pinball, 1973" they're both really short and you can tell he hadn't quite developed the style you expect from him, but Wind has been good so far. I even read the introduction to this book, which I rarely do (though I did for HoL too, since it seems like it's part of the book) and it was a nice glimpse into what how Murakami got started writing.

I really liked those early novels. I haven't read the new translations but have been meaning to. You should go right into Wild Sheep Chase to complete the "Trilogy of the Rat". I actually found the story as a whole to be quite devastating in a way that only Murakami can be.

I really liked those early novels. I haven't read the new translations but have been meaning to. You should go right into Wild Sheep Chase to complete the "Trilogy of the Rat". I actually found the story as a whole to be quite devastating in a way that only Murakami can be.

Yeah, from this point on I'm working chronologically! :)

Started The Devil in the White City last night and am already hooked. I really appreciate that it reads like a novel, but uses historically accurate information and direct quotations from the people involved in the story. 

By chance has anyone read any of Erik Larson's other books? And if so, would you say they are just as good?

About half way through " The death of WCW" am I the only nerd that reads wrestling stuff?

It sounds like it'd be a fascinating read.

I'm halfway through Star Wars Aftermath it's more enjoyable than the reviews would indicate. My only grip is the sheer number of new characters with Star Wars universe names. It's hard to keep them all straight.

• 2 weeks later...