What books are you reading?

On August 11, 2016 at 4:31 AM, dnl said:

This felt like reading fan fiction.

I'm super late to the conversation but Jesus H. Christ that new Harry Potter was awful. 

I bought a book of Lovecraft stories around this time last year and am just now getting into it. The Whisperer in Darkness was pretty good. I'm probably going to reread the Secret History of Twin Peaks soon and maybe go through Series of Unfortunate Events for the first time since I was a kid. The Netflix show got me in the mood for those.

9 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Colorless was good...definitely not my favorite of his. I love the more fantastic elements of his other books though. I will say Colorless was the most melancholy of his novels for sure.

And the more realistic, non-fictional...which probably is the reason I liked it most! :)

• 2 months later...

Coming up on being halfway through American Gods.  I know the show is starting up real soon so I figured it'd be a good chance to read the book before watching it.  Haven't read a good book in quite a while.  Definitely got all the juices flowing to read more again.

Also, seeing the new trailer for "IT" finally pushed me to go and grab the book.  So I'll be reading that next.  I've seen the original movie without reading the book, but I've heard the new movie will stick to the book better, so yeah.

Been working my way through Discworld for the past two years. On the 13th book Small Gods right now and I think when I was on the third one Terry Pratchett passed away which made getting them from my library harder and harder. In between waiting for reserved copies to come in, I've been reading random stuff. Really digging the Carl Hiaasen (even though the books are very formulaic... just enjoyable and they make me laugh a lot) and J. G. Ballard (have read Super-Cannes and Millenium People... I loved them both and plan to seek out more.)

Couldn't get through Danielewski's The Familiar vol 1 despite really digging House of Leaves.

57 minutes ago, mameeshkamowskwoz said:

Couldn't get through Danielewski's The Familiar vol 1 despite really digging House of Leaves.

Same, and yet I've got vol.s 1-4 sitting on my nightstand because I can't get myself to admit that I'm just never going to love anything else he does like HoL. Painful.

I read American Gods years and years ago feels like. Looking forward to the show. 

I can't read anything for my life these days. I get halfway through and then just never finish anything. :(

28 minutes ago, rooks said:

Same, and yet I've got vol.s 1-4 sitting on my nightstand because I can't get myself to admit that I'm just never going to love anything else he does like HoL. Painful.

I read American Gods years and years ago feels like. Looking forward to the show. 

I can't read anything for my life these days. I get halfway through and then just never finish anything. :(

It's been nothing but comics for me for a couple months now :wacko:

37 minutes ago, rooks said:

i haven't read American Gods, but 100% in the same boat on everything else you said. i need to try again w/ The Familiar. 

19 minutes ago, batman said:

i haven't read American Gods, but 100% in the same boat on everything else you said. i need to try again w/ The Familiar. 

American Gods is very good.  I read it ~10 years ago and was hoping to re-read it before the show started, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen now.  I saw Gaiman do a Q&A and reading last Sunday :)

17 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Oh shit! I owe you a comic

I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Am I the only one in the world who didn't like American Gods? Quite frankly I think Neil Gaiman is terribly overrated. It seems like each time his plots take a turn he expands his fantastic universes to conveniently cover a plot hole. Found that to be especially true with The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I'm not a huge fantasy fan in general - there has been some I've quite liked, but I don't seek it out - and I picked up both books due to his wider appeal, but found the prose unimpressive and just really didn't care for the stories.

Recently read John Darnielle's (the Mountain Goats) Universal Harvester, which I quite liked. At first I finished it and wasn't sure what to think, but the more I reflect, the more I enjoyed it.

Audiobooked Bruce Springsteen's autobiography - he reads it. It was pretty good - felt a bit long at times. But man, he has such a good voice for reading to you..

16 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

American Gods is very good.  I read it ~10 years ago and was hoping to re-read it before the show started, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen now.  I saw Gaiman do a Q&A and reading last Sunday :)

I'm definitely looking forward to it!

PM me your address. I've got the first Abe Sapien I'll send along too

3 hours ago, rooks said:

I'm the same way. When I was younger it was so easy for me to sit down with a book and finish it in one or two sittings. Now I struggle to get through more than like 50 pages without getting distracted. 

Been trying to finish the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series for a while now. On the third book right now.

Edited by dapeebs

• 3 months later...

Gave The Familiar v1 by MZD another go with that summer book club on FB and I love it. Once you get about halfway through, it starts to flow a lot better, and the story gets really good. We're doing 1 book per month up to and including Vol 5 which comes out on Halloween. Helps to have some solid discussions. 

Since my last post in in here I've read IT and Salem's Lot by Stephen King and Piercing by Ryu Murakami.  Loved all of them.

Coming up on being halfway through The Stand by Stephen King now.  Really enjoying everything about it so far.  A little hard to keep up with all of the characters so far but I'm getting the hang of it.

On 7/24/2017 at 10:31 PM, thispartysucks128 said:

41EErJA09nL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm about halfway through this right now and it is fucking wild. Tiny Tim may have been one of the most fascinatingly weird/cool people that ever lived. I can't recommend this enough if you have ever been slightly interested in this dude. 

I love music nonfiction about musical weirdos/outsiders. This is right up my alley.

On 7/24/2017 at 11:34 PM, ninjplaysdrums said:

Just ordered Ready Player One in anticipation of the new movie, looks cool and I like the story's concept.

It's great. Just do not under any circumstances read his follow up Armada. 

• 3 months later...

I've been reading a bunch of graphic novels and no "real" books lately, but I was interested in two books I saw at Goodwill yesterday, so I grabbed "A Tale for the Time Being" by Ruth Ozeki, and "Death by Water" by Kenzaburo Oe.

I read "Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids" by Oe a while back, but should probably revisit it since I can't remember anything about it for some reason. I do remember thinking he was a pretty solid writer though (as you'd expect from a Nobel Prize for Literature winner...). "A Tale for the Time Being" seems like it'll be the more entertaining of the two books.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I've been reading a bunch of graphic novels and no "real" books lately, but I was interested in two books I saw at Goodwill yesterday, so I grabbed "A Tale for the Time Being" by Ruth Ozeki, and "Death by Water" by Kenzaburo Oe.

I read "Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids" by Oe a while back, but should probably revisit it since I can't remember anything about it for some reason. I do remember thinking he was a pretty solid writer though (as you'd expect from a Nobel Prize for Literature winner...). "A Tale for the Time Being" seems like it'll be the more entertaining of the two books.

I read A Tale for the Time Being. Pretty good, not super amazing or anything but a nice read. 

Been on an audiobook tear lately, read Colson Whitehead’s The Underground Railroad (just okay), Yaa Gyasi’s Homegoing (excellent), Jonathan Safran Foer’s Here I Am (gorgeously written but a mess), and NK Jemisin’s The Fifth Season (not usually a fantasy reader but this was quite good). 

2 minutes ago, Sidney Crosley said:

I read A Tale for the Time Being. Pretty good, not super amazing or anything but a nice read. 

Been on an audiobook tear lately, read Colson Whitehead’s The Underground Railroad (just okay), Yaa Gyasi’s Homegoing (excellent), Jonathan Safran Foer’s Here I Am (gorgeously written but a mess), and NK Jemisin’s The Fifth Season (not usually a fantasy reader but this was quite good). 

I feel like this is most of the new books coming out these days unfortunately.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I feel like this is most of the new books coming out these days unfortunately.

Except for Nathan Hill's The Nix, which came out last year and was easily one of the best books I've read in the last three years, and I read (mostly audiobook) 30-50 books per year.

On 7/23/2017 at 10:10 AM, batman said:

Gave The Familiar v1 by MZD another go with that summer book club on FB and I love it. Once you get about halfway through, it starts to flow a lot better, and the story gets really good. We're doing 1 book per month up to and including Vol 5 which comes out on Halloween. Helps to have some solid discussions. 

Just finished Volume 5. Oh my god, it was fantastic. The books really pick up after v1 and they're super quick reads. 

Started reading Stephen King's 'The Stand' earlier.