What books are you reading?

• 2 months later...

I just finished Theft by Finding: Diaries by David Sedaris. Simply put, if you enjoy Sedaris, you'll like it. The most intriguing aspect for me was the progression of his career, but I also looked forward to significant dates in history to see if he'd comment on the event. 

Now, I'm reading the Trump book by Wolf and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. They have some eerie similarities. 

1 hour ago, joshman150 said:

What'd you think about Gerald's Game? I thought the ending was chilling!

I loved it!  I watched the movie almost immediately after finishing it and it was probably one of the best book to film adaptations I’ve ever seen.  The ending was definitely creepy as fuck.  I know King gets a lot of shit for not being good at ending his stuff, but I really liked the ending.

4 hours ago, bluethumb said:

I usually have multiple books going over long periods of time... it doesn't make for the most cohesive reading experience but here's what I'm into now:

House of Leaves - Mark Danielewski (wild book)

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis

Dharma Bums - Jack Kerouac

Man, I know a bunch of folks here love HoL, but I didn't really enjoy it. American Psycho was pretty good, but I liked Less Than Zero more, and I've surprisingly never read any Kerouac.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Man, I know a bunch of folks here love HoL, but I didn't really enjoy it. American Psycho was pretty good, but I liked Less Than Zero more, and I've surprisingly never read any Kerouac.

House of Leaves is daunting to say the least, but it has kept my interest so far. Kerouac is the complete opposite; simple writing, quick read, but his books speak to that part of me that could go Thoreau on everyone's ass.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/10c078b0-d573-40e2-b3ad-6c041770bac2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

For those that care, the English translation of Murakami's latest, "Killing Commendatore" is up for PO on amazon. $30 for a hardcover, so it's a little steep, but I had a $10 credit so I went ahead and ordered. November 13 release date.

Awesome! Will definitely be picking that up. Hoping I can get a signed copy on release day like with 'Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki'. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, mesi said:

Fellow book friends, I need some advice. I got this hardcover book from Amazon today with the pages all messed up, it looks like they haven't been cut up properly. I never had this happen before, so I don't know what to do. Would you return it or does this pappen sometimes? Thanks.

SPkLLsEl.jpg

he4ZkROl.jpg

Some books are cut this way.  Don’t ask why.  Just to make it seem unique or fancy or whatever.  I have a couple cut this way actually. No reason to return it unless it annoys you personally.

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, FiggyPud said:

Started “The Shining” last week.  Just one of those I’ve always wanted to get into.  Plus I’ve been on a huge King kick for the past year.  Definitely gonna pick up his newest book “The Outsider” here soon.  Sounds crazy.

Just started the Outsider last night and blew through about a quarter of it. It’s so good so far!