Childish Gambino

I'm thinking this is going to end up being a 2xLP. He posted some photos of vinyl being pressed on his tumblr and one side definitely said Camp but the songs listed were off the EP/mixtapes, so I'm thinking it might be a D side. There's not way the whole thing would fit on one side.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta agree with that review. When I first heard the album I loved it, but the more I listen to it the shock factor is gone. The way he combines comedy into his music turns it into just that. His whole "me against the world" attitude gets overplayed and seems to be way over the top.

It's a decent album, but not as amazing as I initially thought.

I gotta agree with that review. When I first heard the album I loved it, but the more I listen to it the shock factor is gone. The way he combines comedy into his music turns it into just that. His whole "me against the world" attitude gets overplayed and seems to be way over the top.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. Culdesac wasn't all "look at me, I'm a rapper, the rap game is hard for me", but it seems like that's all that Camp was. I really liked the album until about the halfway point when I got tired of hearing the same song with a different beat. I think the 1.6 from Pitchfork was pretty harsh. Same with the Strong 2 he got from Fantano. It's gonna be kinda hard sell to the hipster crowd now that their 2 main review sources shit on this album.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. Culdesac wasn't all "look at me, I'm a rapper, the rap game is hard for me", but it seems like that's all that Camp was. I really liked the album until about the halfway point when I got tired of hearing the same song with a different beat. I think the 1.6 from Pitchfork was pretty harsh. Same with the Strong 2 he got from Fantano. It's gonna be kinda hard sell to the hipster crowd now that their 2 main review sources shit on this album.

Considering the album has already sold 70,000+ copies in three weeks, I don't think they have to worry about "selling it to the hipster crowd."

His audience is more the "entry-level hipster/durr I hate rap because it's all about bitches and money/OMGz he sampled Animal Collective how novel" crowd anyway. True hipsters recognize him as a try-hard with zero self-awareness and continue listening to Shabazz Places or Curren$y or whatever.

I'm not sure why anyone expected anything other than what they got. He's put out 3 EP's and an LP and it's all pretty much along the same line. I do not expect deep philosophical thoughts when I listen to Childish Gambino, I expect clever punchlines that can at least entertain me for the length of the album. It's like junk food, you can expect it to be a meal but you're still going to be hungry, or you can just enjoy the taste.

I'm not sure why anyone expected anything other than what they got. He's put out 3 EP's and an LP and it's all pretty much along the same line. I do not expect deep philosophical thoughts when I listen to Childish Gambino, I expect clever punchlines that can at least entertain me for the length of the album. It's like junk food, you can expect it to be a meal but you're still going to be hungry, or you can just enjoy the taste.

Well said. I know Childish Gambino isn't nerdcore (Frontalot, Optimum Rhyme) but I categorize him as such. This style of hiphop will not change the world but it's entertaining at times.

Considering the album has already sold 70,000+ copies in three weeks, I don't think they have to worry about "selling it to the hipster crowd."

Just saying, there's still a lot more people that he could have sold this to. If Pitchfork were to brand this with BNM, that number would probably triple

Just saying, there's still a lot more people that he could have sold this to. If Pitchfork were to brand this with BNM, that number would probably triple

Doubtful. People who read Pitchfork get their music for free, whether it's obtained through legal means or not. How many albums have you actually bought after reading a Pitchfork review, anyway? I can count the number on one hand for me, and I've been reading the site for more than a decade.

Doubtful. People who read Pitchfork get their music for free, whether it's obtained through legal means or not. How many albums have you actually bought after reading a Pitchfork review, anyway? I can count the number on one hand for me, and I've been reading the site for more than a decade.

Oh hey, 'sup sweeping generalizations. I'm sure people who read Alternative Press buy all their music for full price at their local independent record store.

I've bought a lot of music after discovering it through a Pitchfork review. Weird thing to claim though, I'm not sure why people who read Pitchfork are any more apt to download than .orgers or the scene kids that read AP.

I don't buy music based on anyone's review but my own. Will I download an album based on the score that Pitchfork gives it? Yes. Have I bought any of those albums? Yes. Anyone who decides to buy something based off of a review is pretty stupid in my eyes. I would never buy an album if I haven't heard it yet.

I don't buy music based on anyone's review but my own. Will I download an album based on the score that Pitchfork gives it? Yes. Have I bought any of those albums? Yes. Anyone who decides to buy something based off of a review is pretty stupid in my eyes. I would never buy an album if I haven't heard it yet.

I'll read reviews to either find ways to support my own thoughts on the album or just to see what other people have to say about an album. I've never bought an album based on what I read in one review, I'll read multiple reviews and listen to part or all of the album before making my decision.

For example, I saw that Pitchfork loved Pantha du Prince's "Black Noise" and they talked about him a lot, and it was because I saw so much about the album that I decided to check it out. I didn't actually read their review until after I'd listened to the album though, oddly enough.

I'll read reviews to either find ways to support my own thoughts on the album or just to see what other people have to say about an album. I've never bought an album based on what I read in one review, I'll read multiple reviews and listen to part or all of the album before making my decision.

For example, I saw that Pitchfork loved Pantha du Prince's "Black Noise" and they talked about him a lot, and it was because I saw so much about the album that I decided to check it out. I didn't actually read their review until after I'd listened to the album though, oddly enough.

Yeah, that's what I do, too. To me, it doesn't matter how well an album is received by other people. Ultimately, it's whether or not I enjoy the album, and if I enjoyed it enough to warrant paying for it.