To finish or to augment, that is the question

sgoodcore

So I've got enough cash to buy a few records. The question is, do I augment a collection so as to procure more colors of a record I already have or do I buy stuff I don't have a copy of?

Sounds easy but the key here is if I buy the stuff to augment the collection I'm working on I don't have to dick with eBay or have records turn in to "white whales." The other thing is, I don't really have my eye on anything outside of the collections I'm working on (Planes Mistaken for Stars, Alkaline Trio, Hot Cross, A Day in Black and White, and Life At These Speeds).

I'm open for suggestions for records I should get because they're amazing.

Sounds to me like you answered your own question already. If you don't have your eye on anything outside of what you're already collecting, you may as well go forth and augment your collection. Especially since as you say you can stay out of eBay.

As far as suggestions of "amazing records"...that is a loaded question and I am sure there will be plenty of suggestions from everyone. My tastes are all over the place. It would all depend on what style of music you prefer.

This is kinda funny, because in about an hour a buddy of mine will be selling me a pretty good chunk of his collection and it works out that i am getting some records i am working on a collection (getting the warzone lower east side 10 inch on purple out of it and a bunch of HWM) but also some albums that i love but never picked up on record, as well as some new stuff. Sometimes you luck out i guess...

I went on a spree (for years, actually) where I was buying anything and everything. I was buying way more than I had the time to even listen to. If something was released on vinyl and I heard good things about it, I bought it without even thinking about it. Worst case scenario, I can recoup my cost on it. And it worked out well in some cases. But now that I've slowed down on my purchasing (fucking mortgage), I'm catching up on my listening and it turns out I like a whole lot less than I'd hoped.

My point is that (for me) buying vinyl for the sake of discovering awesome new stuff has left me with a lot of shit I don't really want and, as I reflect, it's not very fulfilling. The coolest packaging, colors, and most limited editions don't mean much if you don't love the music.

My recommendation:

1.) Buy the vinyl copies of albums you know you enjoy but never got around to buying

2.) Buy the variants to complete your collection

3.) Screen new music via myspace or whatever before buying the vinyl

Just my two cents

I went on a spree (for years, actually) where I was buying anything and everything. I was buying way more than I had the time to even listen to. If something was released on vinyl and I heard good things about it, I bought it without even thinking about it. Worst case scenario, I can recoup my cost on it. And it worked out well in some cases. But now that I've slowed down on my purchasing (fucking mortgage), I'm catching up on my listening and it turns out I like a whole lot less than I'd hoped.

My point is that (for me) buying vinyl for the sake of discovering awesome new stuff has left me with a lot of shit I don't really want and, as I reflect, it's not very fulfilling. The coolest packaging, colors, and most limited editions don't mean much if you don't love the music.

My recommendation:

1.) Buy the vinyl copies of albums you know you enjoy but never got around to buying

2.) Buy the variants to complete your collection

3.) Screen new music via myspace or whatever before buying the vinyl

Just my two cents

This is a good philosophy. I'm at the point now where 99% of the vinyl I buy is bands I really, really like and plan on listening to.

I have spent a lot of money replacing CDs I like with the vinyl versions of those albums. Since I got most of the CDs for free I guess I can't complain, but it 's still expensive.

Yeah, vinyl is now my "go-to" format. If something I want is released on both, I buy the record and download the CD, guilt-free.

I feel bad when there are kids here who save their lunch money for records. I went to the record store today and got $45 credit for a grocery bag full of CDs. Not complaining, but there was a time (only a couple years ago) when I made about $400-$500 a month selling promos. Boy have times changed.

Guest falloutcollapse
I feel bad when there are kids here who save their lunch money for records. I went to the record store today and got $45 credit for a grocery bag full of CDs. Not complaining, but there was a time (only a couple years ago) when I made about $400-$500 a month selling promos. Boy have times changed.

i sold almost every cd i have ever bought the other day, and there was 20 of them, and it only sold for $41. i'm saving that for the norma jean box set, but otherwise, it's back to lunch money.

Everybody's "in the music business" these days.

Hey man, I made a career out of punk rock, skateboarding and writing. I'm not appologizing to anybody.

I didn't mean it in a derrogatory sense at all! I just mean that with the advent of so much new technology all at once, and all at our fingertips, things like making a record or publishing a blog are so easy and widespread. I'm not saying that's necessarily a good thing, either, but it's true. It's just like anyone with a laptop and a microphone and a Myspace page can call themselves a "pro rapper". But a sheep in wolves' clothing is still just a sheep in wolves' clothing. The comment wasn't aimed at you, personally.