VC Official Pro Wrestling Thread

53 minutes ago, TheWindBlower said:

An interesting read: http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/01/03/kenny-omega-new-japan-wwe-wrestle-kingdom

Allegedly, WWE has offered Omega contracts in '14, '15, and '16, and he's turned them all down. Sure, who knows what the situation will be when his next contract with NJPW is up, but I wouldn't be so sure that he'll ever crossover to WWE. I would love to see it though, mainly just because WWE is much more accessible than NJPW for me.

I think there would need to be a pretty big shift in how WWE operates for him to sign (or a very large contract).  Creative needs to at least acknowledge the guys who are good enough to build and maintain their own characters and let them have more control. We've seen too many guys who got over on the indies come in and have to follow their scripts and storylines to a T and fall flat. I don't think Omega has any interest in doing that and I think that's the right call. I think a lot of what makes him great would be lost in the transition. Not to mention the WWE schedule doesn't allow you to pull of the kind of wild matches he does in NJPW.

1 hour ago, dantheriver said:

I think there would need to be a pretty big shift in how WWE operates for him to sign (or a very large contract).  Creative needs to at least acknowledge the guys who are good enough to build and maintain their own characters and let them have more control. We've seen too many guys who got over on the indies come in and have to follow their scripts and storylines to a T and fall flat. I don't think Omega has any interest in doing that and I think that's the right call. I think a lot of what makes him great would be lost in the transition. Not to mention the WWE schedule doesn't allow you to pull of the kind of wild matches he does in NJPW.

Agreed across the board, 100%.

16 minutes ago, TheWindBlower said:

Agreed across the board, 100%.

Of course then I go look at his twitter...

Stepping away from Japan to reassess his future. Schedule is cleared and weighing all his options.  The path of his journey may change but the goals will not.

Probably classic Kenny trolling but will probably have a lot of people talking.

13 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Of course then I go look at his twitter...

Stepping away from Japan to reassess his future. Schedule is cleared and weighing all his options.  The path of his journey may change but the goals will not.

Probably classic Kenny trolling but will probably have a lot of people talking.

Unreal. Hahahahah. If he hops to WWE after this very recent SI article, I'd say that's pretty incredible. This guy is great. I can't wait to watch the WK11 main event after work today. I watched the first half of the show last night, really enjoying it so far.

9 minutes ago, TheWindBlower said:

Unreal. Hahahahah. If he hops to WWE after this very recent SI article, I'd say that's pretty incredible. This guy is great. I can't wait to watch the WK11 main event after work today. I watched the first half of the show last night, really enjoying it so far.

Shit gets real in the second half, you're gonna love it.

12 hours ago, TheWindBlower said:

An interesting read: http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/01/03/kenny-omega-new-japan-wwe-wrestle-kingdom

Allegedly, WWE has offered Omega contracts in '14, '15, and '16, and he's turned them all down. Sure, who knows what the situation will be when his next contract with NJPW is up, but I wouldn't be so sure that he'll ever crossover to WWE. I would love to see it though, mainly just because WWE is much more accessible than NJPW for me.

Yeah, I get that. I didn't get very specific, but I meant more like, I wonder what it will take for WWE to lure him away.

2 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

Yeah, I get that. I didn't get very specific, but I meant more like, I wonder what it will take for WWE to lure him away.

Yeah, no doubt. Didn't mean anything by it. Just wanted to offer up the article. At this point, I think it would take a lot to lure him away especially after that main event.

Wow. The second half of WK11 was incredible. @dantheriver, you weren't kidding. I loved it. The last four matches were all unbelievable. Wow.

This was great, after Raw went off the air, Undertaker comes out to address Owens and Jericho. I can't find the whole footage online but even Owens in character marks out. He says "We haven't been properly introduced, I'm Kevin Owens." He tries to shake Undertsker's hand. Undertaker just stares at them both. Jericho says a few things, that's when it picks up here.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=fPOYuyFgw44

Edited by somethingvinyl

I subscribed to New Japan World to see WK11 and New Year Dash live last week and I'm so happy I did that. Okada-Omega is legit the greatest match I've ever seen. I mean, it was so good, it clearly stood out among fantastic matches like Naito-Tanahashi, Shibata-Goto and Kushida-Takahashi. I have no idea how Okada and Omega are going to try to top that in their inevitable rematch. I'm actually scared they're gonna kill themselves.

Regarding the Royal Rumble, this is probably the most unpredictable Rumble in years. I'd love to see Jericho win, although Balor or Joe would be just as good.

Going to my third NXT house show tomorrow. Fingers crossed some of the newer independent signings (won't say names in case anyone is out of the loop and looking to be surprised) are working this show and not the Florida show. Double fingers crossed for a solo Nak match since at the last show his singles match turned into a big pre-brand split curtain call 10 man match.

I would be interested in the Royal Rumble pool again.

All this talk about NJPW has given me the bug for Japanese wrestling. So I've  read the wikis for most of the entries in Japanese wrestling.  From Japan Pro Wrestling Alliance with the first major Japanese wrestling star Rikidozan, to Giant Baba's All Japan Pro Wrestling and to Antonio Inoki's promotion NJPW. 

And as a result, besides the Americans who had strong careers there (Andre The Giant, Stan Hansen, etc), the names I would constantly see as having great matches was Dynamite Kid vs Tiger Mask (although there's a few different people, four or five, who've played the character). Anyway, they had a series of seven or eight matches over the span of a few years. My god! These are some of the best matches I've seen. They're not perfect by any means, but just so many things I never have seen in wrestling. If you haven't watched those matches, I highly recommend watching them on youtube. 

12 hours ago, dantheriver said:

I loved it. I'm all for WWE expanding and offering different styles of wrestling in a way that's easy for US fans to get a hold of. 

Agreed. The finals match was really great, and they managed to book a couple solid angles into a very short 2-day tournament. There's nothing to complain about. I'd love to see a weekly UK show or something on the Network with a lot of those guys returning. I've been following Progress Wrestling for months now, and it's such a great product. Awesome to see guys from that organization get some spotlight.

I was also pretty damn shocked to see Tyler Bate come out as the champion. I was nearly certain it would be Dunne or Seven.

So hyped for Angle's return. I've been waiting more than a decade for this.

Regarding the UK tourney, I really liked it as well. I was also shocked to see Bate win - he was a dark horse but I fully expected Dunne, Conners or Seven to win. Just a few months ago I met Bate after a wXw show and I didn't even bring up the WWE because I thought there's no way he's gonna go there already lol

Speaking of, apparently ICW, OTT and PROGRESS content will show up on the WWE Network.

3 hours ago, Breezus said:

Speaking of, apparently ICW, OTT and PROGRESS content will show up on the WWE Network.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Source me on this. That would be awesome. Progress recently eclipsed Evolve as my favorite indie promotion, mainly just because of the recent talent raid for the CWC and NXT.

2 hours ago, TheWindBlower said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Source me on this. That would be awesome. Progress recently eclipsed Evolve as my favorite indie promotion, mainly just because of the recent talent raid for the CWC and NXT.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/5ovawf/won_icw_coming_to_wwe_network_progress_and_ott/

Alright, I was really not wanting to take it on this year but it seems no one else has done it so I guess I will bring back the Royal Rumble pool this year.

I am not sure if we can get 15 people this last minute but let's see.  PM me if you want in, I will give you my paypal info and once you gift the payment you are in.  Let's do $10 again.

For anyone new to this, I have done this the last two or three years.  I make sure that the numbers are random generated and if your guy wins, you win the whole pot.  Also, the numbers are divided up fairly (i.e. if 15 people enter, you get two numbers of the rumble, one is in the first 15 and the other is in the second 15).

Good luck everyone!

Edited by knifeparty
I am remembering now why I haven't posted here much in awhile...