VC Official Pro Wrestling Thread

14 minutes ago, Breezus said:

Aside from the G1 that keeps delivering one instant classic after another, how fucking amazing was Nakamura-Cena from SD? That match should've main evented SummerSlam or WrestleMania.

Right! Something must have happened to the plans for us to get that Cena v Nakamura match on SD. They needed to make a storyline for Mahal. I don't know why they wouldn't build anyone Nakamura hasn't faced in the WWE as a dream match. They all are!

1 hour ago, somethingvinyl said:

I don't know why they wouldn't build anyone Nakamura hasn't faced in the WWE as a dream match. They all are!

Nak vs. Mahal is most definitely not a dream match. I can't imagine any feud with Mahal as a dream feud. Nak vs. Cena was great though. I'd watch that program over and over again. Say what you want about Cena, but matched with the right guy, the dude puts on a hell of a match (Punk, Styles, Nak, etc.). With Mahal's foreign heel gimmick, it'll be interesting to see how they script him again Nak, since he's Japanese and not pro-America Cena. Would love to see Nak win, but I'd also be more interested in him grabbing the WWE title later, maybe Royal Rumble, and taking it into Mania on a feud vs. Styles. One can dream.

Been mainly into NXT, Progress, Evolve, and ROH lately. WWE main roster product is fine, but not enough to keep me coming back week to week. Might have something to do with Mahal having the belt, idk.

2 hours ago, Breezus said:

Aside from the G1 that keeps delivering one instant classic after another, how fucking amazing was Nakamura-Cena from SD? That match should've main evented SummerSlam or WrestleMania.

That G1 though!!! This is my first year watching every show from start to finish. Now that I am not only used to, but love watching with Japanese commentary it's so much easier to want to watch it all.  I can't believe we are over midway through and still getting crazy matches. I figured it would slow down a bit and build back up to the final few shows and actual final, but nope! These guys are wild.

Nakamura Cena was the only thing I tuned in for on Smackdown and I'm really glad I didn't miss it.

58 minutes ago, TheWindBlower said:

Nak vs. Mahal is most definitely not a dream match. I can't imagine any feud with Mahal as a dream feud. Nak vs. Cena was great though. I'd watch that program over and over again. Say what you want about Cena, but matched with the right guy, the dude puts on a hell of a match (Punk, Styles, Nak, etc.). With Mahal's foreign heel gimmick, it'll be interesting to see how they script him again Nak, since he's Japanese and not pro-America Cena. Would love to see Nak win, but I'd also be more interested in him grabbing the WWE title later, maybe Royal Rumble, and taking it into Mania on a feud vs. Styles. One can dream.

Been mainly into NXT, Progress, Evolve, and ROH lately. WWE main roster product is fine, but not enough to keep me coming back week to week. Might have something to do with Mahal having the belt, idk.

I hope they protect Nak a little longer and let him win the belt or have Corbin cash in mid match to pin Mahal for the win.  Otherwise it could easily be Nak eating a pin to Mahal after his henchmen interfere the same way Randy has been bested for however many matches now. I don't have much interest in watching that.  I also don't care to see Nak win and immediately get cashed in on by Corbin. 

1 hour ago, dantheriver said:

I hope they protect Nak a little longer and let him win the belt or have Corbin cash in mid match to pin Mahal for the win.  Otherwise it could easily be Nak eating a pin to Mahal after his henchmen interfere the same way Randy has been bested for however many matches now. I don't have much interest in watching that.  I also don't care to see Nak win and immediately get cashed in on by Corbin. 

100% agree with this. While I don't wanna watch Mahal's henchmen interfere, if Nak is gonna lose, I'd rather him lose that way than losing cleanly.

10 hours ago, dantheriver said:

That G1 though!!! This is my first year watching every show from start to finish. Now that I am not only used to, but love watching with Japanese commentary it's so much easier to want to watch it all.  I can't believe we are over midway through and still getting crazy matches. I figured it would slow down a bit and build back up to the final few shows and actual final, but nope! These guys are wild.

Nakamura Cena was the only thing I tuned in for on Smackdown and I'm really glad I didn't miss it.

That's exactly how I felt when I got into NJPW during last year's G1. The matches are just out of this world and it's ridiculously unpredictable. Especially the A Block could go either way; Naito, Ishii, ZSJ and Tana all have 8 points and the B Block winner will probably be decided by Omega-Okada III. What I also love is how near-50 year olds like Suzuki, Nagata and Kojima can still work 4-5 star matches and guys like YOSHI-HASHI, EVIL, SANADA and Juice have improved immensely in just a year. I know that the G1 schedule is tough but every pro wrestling fan should seriously check out at least some of the matches.

And honestly, I don't really care much about WWE anymore. They can still be fucking great when they want to but it's simply not a consistent or satisfying product that's worth being fully invested in as a viewer or a fan. Mahal's title run is the perfect example; they turned him from jobber to main eventer overnight and that devalued not only the top title but the entire hierarchy of the roster. They could've done their whole India expansion and anti-America schtick by giving him the US Title instead and have Styles-Owens for the WWE Title, with Nakamura challenging Styles at SummerSlam now. Not to mention that while Cena-Nakamura was amazing, it should've seriously been saved for a big PPV. And even now that Shinsuke could become WWE Champion, the possibility that Corbin - someone who, like Mahal, just isn't at that level - is gonna cashing in, is quite the turn-off. It'd be typical WWE cockblock booking.

7 hours ago, Breezus said:

Not to mention that while Cena-Nakamura was amazing, it should've seriously been saved for a big PPV. And even now that Shinsuke could become WWE Champion, the possibility that Corbin - someone who, like Mahal, just isn't at that level - is gonna cashing in, is quite the turn-off. It'd be typical WWE cockblock booking.

Cena vs Nakamura was pretty good. I was pleased. I agree that it should have been saved for Summer Slam. They just didn't have enough time to tell a great story. And with the two commercials, it coudln't keep my attention. But it was good. I would be excited to see those two again.

According to the dirt [web] sheet, Corbin is going to cash in at SS.

• 2 weeks later...

It's such an interesting time to be a wrestling fan. I agree with Jim Cornette, there would be more wrestling in the states if there were still a successful territory system. But, because of the web, we get access to wrestling from all over the world. NJPW is such a stellar promotion. 

Edited by somethingvinyl

What a great show! I enjoyed every second of it. Every match was great. I was particularly shocked by the tag title match being so solid. I had pretty low expectations on that one. Only decision that I'm not a fan of is Gargano losing after that incredible match, but it wasn't necessarily a clean loss. So, we'll see where they take it next. I can't wait for Ciampa to be healed up and ready to go. That Gargano/Ciampa feud will be a hell raiser.

Spoiler

THAT ADAM COLE DEBUT! WHAT A WAY TO FINISH THE SHOW! ROH IS INVADING.

That was easily the best WWE PPV of 2017 and I'm not sure how they can top it because it was so fucking good. The "worst" match was probably the main event, which shows how stacked the card was (MOTN either being the opener or the women). And of course:

Spoiler

ADAM COLE BAYBAY

It's pretty cool how Cole-O'Reilly happened at WK 11 earlier this year and now they're all in NXT and they're actually getting a massive push along with Fish. I'm so on board with the ROH invasion and I'm super happy they're making factions matter again.

Main event really was great and so were the two Tag Title matches and the US Championship. Braun is a fucking star and Cesaro destroying the beachball was hilarious. But pretty much everything else was nothing special. I'm so fucking done with Mahal and I can't believe they sacrificed Nakamura like that.

Forgot to mention that Cesaro and Sheamus vs Ambrose and Rollins was a good match. I expected Cesaro and Sheamus to hold the belts and was surprised. AJ and KO was fine, but they relied too much on Shane to tell the story. I was kind of bored with it, even though those guys are great.

55 minutes ago, somethingvinyl said:

AJ and KO was fine, but they relied too much on Shane to tell the story. I was kind of bored with it, even though those guys are great.

True but I liked their last match a lot more than the other ones they've had, where it was just shit finish after shit finish. At least this one was entertaining with the shenanigans involving Shane and had a definite ending. It is kinda baffling that they've barely had a match without any needless controversy though.

On a sidenote, is anyone else excited for the Mae Young Classic? I think it's really promising and there's a bunch of great talent there. I think either Best Girl Kairi or Toni Storm win the whole thing.

Very excited for the Mae Young Classic. Hoping Toni Storm takes the whole thing, but my early guesses would be Kairi Sane or Shayna Baszler. The bracketology was great. Same complaint from the CWC though. Would've liked to hear a little bit about every participant instead of going in-depth with half of them or whatever it is.

The tournament is shaping up to be great though. I'm unfamiliar with a fair amount of the field, just like the CWC, and I loved the CWC. So, I certainly have high hopes for this.