VC Official Pro Wrestling Thread

6 hours ago, dantheriver said:

I’m down for $20 if you guys need some players still.

Definitely still need some players. With you, that brings us to 7. Can we get 3 more?!

Didn't catch TakeOver tonight. Was at a wedding. Hopefully gonna catch it tomorrow after my flight and before RR.

Just now, TheWindBlower said:

Definitely still need some players. With you, that brings us to 7. Can we get 3 more?!

Didn't catch TakeOver tonight. Was at a wedding. Hopefully gonna catch it tomorrow after my flight and before RR.

I missed takeover as well so I’m not looking back in this thread until after I’m caught up. If this goes down whoever is taking the money can shoot me a PM!

Lackluster rumble overall. Great winner though!

Spoiler

I really only popped for the Adam Cole and Rey Mysterio appearances. The Hurricane was cool, but it was obvious that he would be tossed quickly. I don't know what people see in Almas. I was bored most of the rumble, and then it picked up at the end. Love that Shinsuke won. He vs. Styles at Mania will be incredible.

Still need to watch the second half of TakeOver from last night. The tag titles match was great. Didn't care much for the women's title match.

Women's rumble was better than the men's, I thought. I enjoyed a lot more of the surprise entrants. There were a couple iffy spots, I guess. My only big gripe with it was how often the competitors rolled under the bottom rope and out of the ring. It became hard to keep track of who's still in the match. Not surprised by the winner, but I was definitely excited to see the debut at the end of the show.

Okay wait a minute...

I didn’t think about this at the time, but Fox New (of all places) made me think about this:  they said that Rousey appeared to “challenge the Rumble winner at Wrestlemania.”  Seeing as Asuka didn’t pick what Woman’s title she wanted to challenge for before Rousey came out, I could see this maybe happening.  I personally think that would be really dumb.  Asuka won the Rumble so she deserves a title match.  The stipulation wasn’t “whoever wins the Rumble gets to face Rousey at Wrestlemania.”  Just seems kind of unfair and I hope this isn’t what happens.  Wouldn’t make much sense to me.

NXT was great. I don't watch the weekly shows, except to watch for specific people so I'm not really invested in the stories but the characters make me care. I loved almost every match. NXT booking makes me hopeful for the eventual renewal of WWE storytelling. 

Undisputed Era vs AOP was decent way to start the show. Decent match. I was into watching but any details of it now escape me.
Velveteen Dream vs Kassius Ohno was great. Velveteen is over and I always think Chris Hero and can't say Kassius. Good match. Felt fast. I think that one would could have been given some more time.

Ember Moon vs Shayna Baszler was great. Ember is a good hand and they're building Shayna as a unstoppable force like Brock. It'll be good to see if these two women have more encounters over the next few months (which will hopefully include one at Takeover here in New Orleans for WM weekend).

Aleister Black vs Adam Cole was solid. They made a hardcore match somewhat more interesting but again, I'm struggling to think of anything that stand out.

Andrade Cien Almas vs Johnny Gargano was really good. This is the first Almas match I really liked. Gargano is a star and sells so well. This one went back and forth and I really thought Gargano was going to pull out the victory. Then for his Ciampa to show up was great too. 

Royal Rumble was a fun show. Better than it's been the past few years. I really thought I was going to be mad at the results but overall pleased.

AJ vs Owens and Zayn was great. I was bothered that the title match was first, but those guys entertain and work so well that it was a great way to get the crowd fired up. Zayn and Owens if they're not working any singles programs should team up for a while. Owens and Jericho was great but this could be better.

Usos vs. Cable and Benjamin was anti climatic, but I love seeing Shelton out there. I hope he gets another singles run. He's so great.

I thought it was weird that the men's Royal Rumble was on third on the main show. But then I realized they would do the women's last. Worked out fine. Glad they're taking women's wrestling serious. Rumble was good. They put some good folks in. I was expecting Samoa Joe and didn't realize he's out with an injury ( specifically recalled seeing him on the poster) so that was a bummer. The Hurricane and Mysterio appearance were fun, Golddust, ugh. Dolph Ziggler #30 was fun. I didn't think they would pull the trigger on Nakamura yet so I was hoping maybe he would get a world title push now after so many years of giving good performances.  Eh, still could happen. I knew Cena wasn't going to win but having him in their in the last four was making me sweat. Reigns in there last two made me mad. I get they were swerving a bit and allowing him to look strong but I'm so glad it's Nakamura's time. The guy has more charisma than 2/3 the roster.

Went to do laundry during Cesaro/Sheamus vs Rollins/Jordan so I don't care. I wish Cesaro would get a strong singles push again. 

Lesnar vs Strowman vs Kane was fine. Nothing to see. Knew Brock would get the win since all I'm hearing is that we'll get Brock vs. Reigns at MW.

Finally, the women's match. While the men had just enough nostalgia, I thought the women's Rumble had too much. It was great seeing some of the workers like Jacqueline, Lita, Molly Holly, and Trish Stratus, but sheesh, Tori Wilson and Kelly Kelly? They were models/divas who couldn't work. It was nice to see them, but just torture in the ring. I love they used established stars to set the pace and brought in a lot of the younger talent. Kairi Sane hitting elbows during the match was just to show her off and I can't wait until she's ready for the main roster. Ember Moon was a nice addition. I love watching Naomi.  Glad Nia Jax looks strong. I wish she could get a run with the title. The Bellas were fun but I was never a fan. Bayley continues to flounder. I'm so glad they gave Asuka the win. Asuka is bae.

Okay, so the rumors about Ronda Rousey were confirmed but I'm glad she wasn't in the match. I guess she could have come in and been eliminated by someone to start a program with, but it's always going to be an attraction. Nobody knows her intentions but I imagine they'll book her exactly like Brock. She'll only lose when she's going away or when it's to put over someone really strongly.  I hope she becomes an active worker but I highly doubt it. I hope Asuka's first loss isn't Rousey. That's stupid. Overall, very well. Two Japanese wrestlers being highlighted in wrestling. 2018 is starting off to be a great year of wrestling.

Edited by somethingvinyl

I was hoping by chance there might be a NJPW show here the weekend of Wrestlemania. It was rumored last year but nothing has come to fruition. But, there is a ROH show. This is how it's listed on the ROH website:

ROH Champion Dalston Castle
Cody
The Young Bucks
Kenny Omega
Kota Ibushi
Hiroshi Tanahashi

Very excited to possibly watch Omega, Ibushi and Tanahashi in person for the first time.

11 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

I was hoping by chance there might be a NJPW show here the weekend of Wrestlemania. It was rumored last year but nothing has come to fruition. But, there is a ROH show. This is how it's listed on the ROH website:

ROH Champion Dalston Castle
Cody
The Young Bucks
Kenny Omega
Kota Ibushi
Hiroshi Tanahashi

Very excited to possibly watch Omega, Ibushi and Tanahashi in person for the first time.

Yeah, Supercard of Honor is the closest NOLA will get to a NJPW show. Kenny vs Cody should be awesome though, based on the angle and possibilities alone, so you'll at least get to see some New Japan storyline advancement.

6 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

Yeah, I'm stoked to see them work live. I've probably seen Cody since I've been to a number of WWE shows over the years. But this "American Nightmare" gimmick has made his personality so fun to watch. "Dashing" Cody Rhodes was good too.

"American Nightmare" is one of the best gimmicks going and he's been great at kayfabe. Super meta. Cody, especially, has really been knocking it out of the park with this slowburn BC breakup.

I'm traveling to see NJPW Strong Style Evolved at the end of March and I'm hoping for the rumored tag-team match of Golden☆Lovers (Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi) vs Cody & Hangman Page (which will segue into the aforementioned match at Supercard of Honor! :D).

I just found out that Bruce Prichard is doing a live version of his podcast with Conrad Thompson that same day as the ROH show. Some places online have it at 2 or 3 pm, while others have it at 10 pm. If it's 10 pm, it's going to run into the ROH show. And it's downtown at a HOB while the ROH show is a university many many miles away in city traffic.

I plan on it. But, since there's so much else to do, I might get stuck in the cheap seats. I paid $220-ish and sat in the 100's last time on the "risers" which weren't but a few inches above the floor seats (so when people stood, I had to stand too).

Where are your seats, Scott?

13 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

I plan on it. But, since there's so much else to do, I might get stuck in the cheap seats. I paid $220-ish and sat in the 100's last time on the "risers" which weren't but a few inches above the floor seats (so when people stood, I had to stand too).

Where are your seats, Scott?

Section 112 — I was initially looking at some riser seats a friend was trying to dump but my wife is short and I knew she would have a hard time seeing. Then I started scoping Stubhub and fell in love with some 200-level seats for a decent aftermarket price. Then the other day a bunch of tickets cameraside on the 100 level just appeared on Ticketmaster after nothing had been there for weeks, and I managed to snag two for face value ($250 each). Really happy with them!