VC Official Pro Wrestling Thread

On 3/30/2018 at 5:24 AM, dantheriver said:

Those “Road to” shows are essentially house shows. They are typically non essential. Glancing at the schedule now I’d say the only things you need to be concerned with for the next few months are Sakura Genesis, both nights of Wrestling Dontaku and Best Of The Super Juniors. Best of Super Juniors is a tourney that will have 1-2 matches of the tourney headlining each date, so you can just watch those match ups to stay current with the tourney (sometimes they only have the tourney matches available anyways). After that is the big mid year show, Dominion, which is usually pretty significant.

I'd usually agree but this year's Road To shows all have title matches (Jr. Tag, US, NEVER) as well as Hinokuni (IC). No need to check out the entire shows but each Road To has one major match that's worth checking out.

I am.

I was holding out trying to get tickets from people who might be looking to unload them cheaper but so many scam attempts with CL even dealing with local numbers just forced me to watch Ticketmaster every hour at work for the past week. Within the last 24 hours, they've slowly started releasing additional seats. Got lucky today and one half of a  whole section in the 100's came open and seats were $200 a piece. That's less than I paid for a seat on the risers in 2014 but I had to buy two for me and my kid. But luckily, got a fucking great seat and looking forward to experiencing with my son.

29790871_1792647377466044_12149235450514

4 hours ago, TheWindBlower said:

Hey guys, I'll be watching too...

Section Jealous, Row Envious, Seat Disappointed I'm Not There

...from my couch.

You gotta just pull the trigger one day and go! This will be my fourth Mania (I did 29, 31 and 32 as well), and it’s such a fun experience. 

33 minutes ago, scottheisel said:

You gotta just pull the trigger one day and go! This will be my fourth Mania (I did 29, 31 and 32 as well), and it’s such a fun experience. 

I was super close to going this year for all of the festivities. I'm really bummed that I didn't. I won't make the same mistake next year, especially since it's on the East coast. Have fun Scott!

Mania weekend is so stacked, it's not even funny. For example, iMPACT vs. Lucha Underground happened last night and I only found out about it just now because it was overshadowed by the hype surrounding the Hall of Fame, AJPW and a shitload of other indie shows (it was pretty good btw; sure have missed the LU talent and iMPACT's roster is great too). And tonight, there's Takeover. I think I have to subscribe to the network again.

1 hour ago, Breezus said:

Mania weekend is so stacked, it's not even funny. For example, iMPACT vs. Lucha Underground happened last night and I only found out about it just now because it was overshadowed by the hype surrounding the Hall of Fame, AJPW and a shitload of other indie shows (it was pretty good btw; sure have missed the LU talent and iMPACT's roster is great too). And tonight, there's Takeover. I think I have to subscribe to the network again.

Don't forget about the STACKED ROH Supercard of Honor show too. There's so much great stuff from this weekend.

SO MUCH WRESTLING this weekend. Jeeez. Takeover was excellent. The first and last matches were probably the two best NXT matches in its history; the ladder match might be the best ladder match I've ever seen (and absolutely the best 6-way). Gotta watch it again.  Also watched the WrestleCon SuperShow and a couple GCW shows (Matt Riddle's Bloodsport, Joey Janela's SB2) yesterday, which were all pretty good to great. Quite a few standout matches.

Now I gotta try to get the WWN Supershow, Supercard of Honor and the RevPro show out of the way before WrestleMania starts. AND there's still shows I'll have to catch up on later.

WM weekend has turned into a freaking marathon. Gonna need a break after this, ha.

31 minutes ago, FiggyPud said:

Takeover was unbelievable.  The 6-man ladder match was insane.  Really hope Velveteen Dream keeps getting more of a push.  That guy is too good.  Wanted to watch th whole thing again as soon as it was over.

I’ll be surprised if Wrestemania tops it.

Velveteen is only 22 years old and has been wrestling for like 2-3 years. He will be one of, if not, the biggest thing in wrestling someday.

Well this fucking sucks.  Network stopped working in the middle of the Angle, Rousey/HHH, Steph match.  Started stuttering, then loading forever, then it just didn’t work at all.

Missed the entire second half of the match, so I didn’t even see the ending.  Finally started working again as the New Day entrance was happening.

Pretty salty right now.

I absolutely could not believe they ended with such a boring match (okay who am I kidding, we all knew how boring it would be).

But really, the whole time I was thinking someone who we wouldn’t expect at all was going to come out/interfere and start a new feud with either Reigns or Lesnar, but nope.  Just ended up being more of the same we’ve come to expect from those guys.

All around I enjoyed it though.  Really pissed I didn’t get to see how the Rousey match ended, but I’ll probably just watch that tonight after work.

A few “spoiler-y” final thoughts:

- I for one wasn’t expecting that Shinsuke heel-turn.  Should be interesting to see how that all plays out.  I never saw him in NJPW, so I don’t know if he has experience with a heel character, but either way I’m excited.

- Pretty dumb and cool at the same time that Cena basically jobbed to Taker.  Dumb because all of that “hype” (which I got tired of about the 2nd time Cena was calling him out), and then that’s all it was.  Cool because I love watching Cena get his corny ass beat.

- That Strowman/Nicholas thing was ridiculous.  Wonder how that’ll play out.  Think he’ll just pick someone from the audience every time he has to defend?  Best part about it was the commentary though.  I was dying at some of the stuff they were saying.

- What’s everyone think is going to happen with Owens and Zayn now?  My first thought is “this isn’t over.”  Because as cool as it would be if they went to Raw, I don’t think that’s happening because they’re 2 of the biggest names on Smackdown.

- Final spoiler-y thought: pretty disappointed that neither of the Rumble winners won their match.  I was definitely pulling for both of them.

All in all it was a pretty entertaining night.  As I expected though, Takeover set the bar way too high for me.  One of the best PPV’s I’ve ever seen and they definitely won the weekend in my opinion.

Edited by FiggyPud

As usual, TakeOver was WAY better than Mania, but Mania was pretty solid this year. The IC title match was fantastic, match of the night for me. Rousey's in-ring debut went surpassed all of my expectations by a mile. It was really fun to watch. The Styles-Nakamura match didn't live up to the hype and wasn't anywhere near as good as their match at WK10, but the post-match stuff was INCREDIBLE. Can't wait to see what's next between them. I was really surprised by a lot of finishes, which made the event more fun.

Spoiler
  • Shocked that Zayn and Owens didn't get the win with a pin on Shane. I have no idea what's next for them.
  • Very surprised that Asuka's streak ended. That was a huge bummer to me. I'm not a big Charlotte fan.
  • The Cena/Taker match was whatever to me. Taker's presence is still awesome, but watching him in the ring makes me kinda cringe. He should've hung it up after beating CM Punk a few years ago. That was his last really good match.
  • Cedric getting the win was probably my favorite moment of the night. Such a deserving guy. It's a travesty that that match was on the pre-show but Braun and some kid winning the tag titles was the penultimate match.
  • THE NAKAMURA HEEL TURN! I can't get enough of it.
  • Braun picking a kid out of the audience was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. At 11:30 at night, I didn't wanna watch Braun walking around the arena looking for this kid, and then watch him win a drawn-out handicap match. What a waste of time.
  • The main event was absolute trash, as expected. I'm not even gonna rag on Roman for it. Brock is such absolute garbage in the ring. It's not even funny. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy what he does. Was surprised that he retained though.
  • Not a single match on Mania came close to Gargano vs. Ciampa. That match was incredible.

As a whole, Mania was solid this year, but it was WAY too damn long. There's no reason for it to run from 5 until midnight. 

Yeah it was almost 11:30 or whatever and I was like “alright just one more match and it’s over.”  Well I completely forgot about the Braun Strowman/Bar tag match and then was like “holy shit we STILL have Lesnar and Reigns after this?”

The match order selection was so strange to me as well.  Like I want a real, legit answer as to why the Strowman match was the second to last of the night.  Wouldn’t it have made more sense to have both “main title” matches follow each other?  Or were they worried that Shinsuke and AJ would outshine Lesnar and Reigns?  Which they did (not by much).  And I get Smackdown kind of being the “secondary shows”, but still...

1 hour ago, FiggyPud said:

The match order selection was so strange to me as well.  Like I want a real, legit answer as to why the Strowman match was the second to last of the night.  Wouldn’t it have made more sense to have both “main title” matches follow each other?  Or were they worried that Shinsuke and AJ would outshine Lesnar and Reigns?  Which they did (not by much).  And I get Smackdown kind of being the “secondary shows”, but still...

I kind of think they considered cutting the Braun match if time needed to be saved, and that's why it went on so late in the night. It really was the only expendable match of the night.

1 hour ago, TheWindBlower said:

I kind of think they considered cutting the Braun match if time needed to be saved, and that's why it went on so late in the night. It really was the only expendable match of the night.

Yeah that makes sense.  Seems like they’re making a joke of the tag titles though and that kind of bothers me.

Pretty pumped about the 

Bludgen Brothers though.  Might be biased cause I’ve always liked Luke Harper.

Edited by FiggyPud

Woof. I need a day to decompress. What a weekend. I would have tried to look out for you Scott, but I haven't been on here since the last time I posted. I had my seven year old and it was somewhat  madness at the Superdome. The bathrooms were disgusting and not maintained at all during the show. Shit and puke on the ground. Doors opened up stupid early even though the preshow didn't start until what, 4:30 and there was still a ton of congestion when we rolled in right as the men's battle royal was starting. They were out of water, hamburgers, chicken fingers and a lot of menu items by 7:30-8:00pm.

WM: Overall fun show. I'm not particularly proud of the crowd response during the Lesnar vs. Reigns match but it was so much fun with no less than 5-6 beach balls being tossed around and then confiscated. The crowd didn't give a shit about the match and it was clear with all the chants. The hokey Cena audience gimmick was fun. That match with the Undertaker was not at all what I expected and it was a feel good moment. Both Asuka and Nakamura lost clean. Would have preferred Asuka turning heel instead of Nakamura but whateves. 

Two highlights from the weekend: seeing the live show of Bruce Prichard and Conrad Thompson (Something to Wrestle With Bruce Prichard) was great. Tons of random but great WWE legends showed up and told road stories (Pat Patterson, JBL, Road Warrior Animal, Hurricane Helms, Eric Bishoff, Sean Mooney, Gerald Brisco, etc). ROH Supercard was really great as well. Cody Rhodes is one of the best heels anywhere in the world. Kota Ibushi is so amazing to watch live.

Beachballmania clap clap clap clap clap.

Edited by somethingvinyl