• Nose - red apple and clove
  • Palate - clove, oak, smoke
  • Finish - loooong finish, "band-aids" and rubber

Aberlour A'bunadh batch 53:

• Nose - chocolate, cherry, coffee beans, maple syrup
  • Palate - cherry, sherry, smoke, brown sugar
  • Finish - short finish, pipe tobacco

Oban Little Bay:

• Nose - Brown Sugar, molasses, mapel (after adding some water)
  • Palate - very medicinal, slight brown sugar
  • Finish - peat smoke, "band-aid"

Clynelish 14 year:

• Nose - citrus (grapefruit?), brown sugar, smoke, overripe cherries, cotton
  • Palate - maple, hard pretzels, cinnamon
  • Finish - briny, pickling spices?

Lagavulin 16:

• Nose - bike inner tube, medicinal taste, peat smoke, swamp water
  • Palate - grass, pipe tobacco
  • Finish - long finish, lots of rubber taste

Everyone was kind of all over on these, seemed like one of my buddies preferred the A'bunadh, and one really liked Lagavulin. I have to say I'm not sure I had a favorite. Everything tasted so different. I did really enjoy the Clynelish, but I could see liking certain ones more than others depending on the night. All delicious.

I'm going to try to do the bourbon tasting next time, so that should be sometime in May. Hopefully I'll be able to get it scheduled around Derby time. :)

I got a bottle of lagavulin 16 for festival from my in laws and really enjoy it.  ron swanson would be very upset with you...

21 minutes ago, Twistedshabazz said:

I got a bottle of lagavulin 16 for festival from my in laws and really enjoy it.  ron swanson would be very upset with you...

Oh, I never said I didn't enjoy the Lagavulin! I actually liked all of them about equally, but think I'll prefer each of them different amounts on different nights :)

The only thing I've had to drink lately that really didn't impress me at all is a bottle of Blanton's I've been working on. Blech.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

I have been trying to add a new bottle each time i go to the liquor store.  now i need to find the time to drink them all!  

also when I'm watching hockey i don't really want to slug whiskey and stick to beer.  with playoffs its not leaving a lot of time for whiskey!

i also have started two stashes: one for guests, one for just me.  as much as i like my friends i don't want half a bottle of $80 whiskey consumed when I am not looking...

5 minutes ago, Twistedshabazz said:

I have been trying to add a new bottle each time i go to the liquor store.  now i need to find the time to drink them all!  

also when I'm watching hockey i don't really want to slug whiskey and stick to beer.  with playoffs its not leaving a lot of time for whiskey!

i also have started two stashes: one for guests, one for just me.  as much as i like my friends i don't want half a bottle of $80 whiskey consumed when I am not looking...

This 100%. When we do the tastings I pour and then the bottle gets tucked away. I also only invite 3 people. After that the expensive ones are only pulled out for special occasions/first drink of the night.

I stopped to get my wife some drinking and cooking wine so might as well buy something for myself...

bought a bottle of "the singleton" by glendullan and a bottle of McClellands that was on sale. Have not had the singleton yet so looking forward to trying it. Was also reasonably priced at like 35 bucks

47 minutes ago, Twistedshabazz said:

I stopped to get my wife some drinking and cooking wine so might as well buy something for myself...

bought a bottle of "the singleton" by glendullan and a bottle of McClellands that was on sale. Have not had the singleton yet so looking forward to trying it. Was also reasonably priced at like 35 bucks

Nice! Let us know what you think when you try it. I've been on the prowl for the new E.H. Taylor 4-grain lately. It's just starting to hit here and I don't know if I'm going to be able to snag one.

13 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Nice! Let us know what you think when you try it. I've been on the prowl for the new E.H. Taylor 4-grain lately. It's just starting to hit here and I don't know if I'm going to be able to snag one.

will do!  probably have some this evening.

i don know how it is for all of you but my state sucks.  we have to go through the "state stores" and unless it is on their "approved list" you cannot order it.  and you will have to buy a case of it usually if you would like to have it.   heaven forbid they order a case for the store and then you get one bottle...  the one thing I wanted they could order but it would be 800 dollars since i would have to buy all of them..

16 minutes ago, Twistedshabazz said:

will do!  probably have some this evening.

i don know how it is for all of you but my state sucks.  we have to go through the "state stores" and unless it is on their "approved list" you cannot order it.  and you will have to buy a case of it usually if you would like to have it.   heaven forbid they order a case for the store and then you get one bottle...  the one thing I wanted they could order but it would be 800 dollars since i would have to buy all of them..

Here it's almost equally as bad. For whatever reason our liquor commission prioritizes bars over individuals, so bars can have all the stock of limited releases "allocated" to them, so none really show up for the normal consumer to buy. It's frustrating as fuck if you're just looking for one specific thing.

Had a hell of a time getting a Yamazaki 12 year, but now ended up with two, plus one my brother-in-law is sending me.

33 minutes ago, ChasHawk said:

Discovered this at my local liquor megamart today...

redemption-9YO-bourbon.jpg

I have enjoyed the Redemption High Rye several times at $27-30 a bottle.

This is a 9 year aged, premium product at $81.99 on the shelf. I told my wife to add it to my birthday/Christmas list.

Let me know what you think about this guy. I've heard that it's a bit overpriced for what it is, but I always like to hear first hand experience from folks who I can ask questions!

so after grabbing two bottles yesterday I went to a charity event and won a whiskey basket.  came home with 5 more bottles

2 bottles of Jameson Caskmates (casked in stout beer barrels)  *not sure why they had two bottles of this and not 5 different bottles of whiskey...*

Knob Creek Rye

Bullet Rye

hudson manhattan rye 

looks like i will be making a lot of old fashions and manhattans with all this rye.  other drink ideas are welcome!

1 hour ago, Twistedshabazz said:

so after grabbing two bottles yesterday I went to a charity event and won a whiskey basket.  came home with 5 more bottles

2 bottles of Jameson Caskmates (casked in stout beer barrels)  *not sure why they had two bottles of this and not 5 different bottles of whiskey...*

Knob Creek Rye

Bullet Rye

hudson manhattan rye 

looks like i will be making a lot of old fashions and manhattans with all this rye.  other drink ideas are welcome!

I made a Boulevardier the other day. It was pretty alright. Kentucky Derby is coming up too, mint julep time.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, noone77 said:

so i finally got around to going shopping.

Ended up with the balvenie doublewood 12yo.

I really enjoyed it...was a little sweet, but for me, it was really enjoyable.

I still want to try the  Aberlour A'bunadh batch 53...maybe my next purchase!

Make sure to check the batch number, you may not end up with batch 53, but I'd imagine the batches are at least reasonably similar in taste. :)

glad tou enjoyed what you got!

• 4 weeks later...

nothing crazy, but my brother gave me a bottle of Maker's cask strength for my birthday.  I've actually never had any.  I won't get to try it until next week sometime though (blood pressure medication ran out before I could get in to a new doctor, so I'm being real kind to my body in the mean time)

2 hours ago, birdwell said:

nothing crazy, but my brother gave me a bottle of Maker's cask strength for my birthday.  I've actually never had any.  I won't get to try it until next week sometime though (blood pressure medication ran out before I could get in to a new doctor, so I'm being real kind to my body in the mean time)

Let me know what you think about the cask strength. I haven't tried that one either and I've been pretty interested in it!

On June 10, 2017 at 10:47 AM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Let me know what you think about the cask strength. I haven't tried that one either and I've been pretty interested in it!

Ok.  I'm not much for one to really pick out tastings and such other than "I like it" "I don't like it"....I find regular Maker's Mark is fine, it isn't my favorite or a go-to, it makes great cocktails and I have zero issue sipping it neat.   The 46 I find much more enjoyable, I don't know what exactly about it I enjoy in whiskey talk, but to me and my pallet it seems to have more flavor, more complex flavor, and a bit more heat than regular Maker's Mark.

the Cask Strength....as with most higher proof whiskies...definitely has some bite, which I enjoy...but it's a slow burn in the aftertaste.  The first bit that hits your tongue is still very vanilla flavored almost...much like regular Maker's Mark.  This isn't as mellow and pronounced and has more grit to it.  I definitely like it more than regular Maker's Mark.  It's almost more raw? Less refined?   Honestly, I like the 46 better.  But I don't hate this Cask Strength one tiny bit  and I doubt I will end up sharing it with anybody either.   I'd say, if you have the money and enjoy Maker's 46, give it a shot, I highly doubt you'll find it deplorable.

Edited by birdwell

32 minutes ago, birdwell said:

Ok.  I'm not much for one to really pick out tastings and such other than "I like it" "I don't like it"....I find regular Maker's Mark is fine, it isn't my favorite or a go-to, it makes great cocktails and I have zero issue sipping it neat.   The 46 I find much more enjoyable, I don't know what exactly about it I enjoy in whiskey talk, but to me and my pallet it seems to have more flavor, more complex flavor, and a bit more heat than regular Maker's Mark.

the Cask Strength....as with most higher proof whiskies...definitely has some bite, which I enjoy...but it's a slow burn in the aftertaste.  The first bit that hits your tongue is still very vanilla flavored almost...much like regular Maker's Mark.  This isn't as mellow and pronounced and has more grit to it.  I definitely like it more than regular Maker's Mark.  It's almost more raw? Less refined?   Honestly, I like the 46 better.  But I don't hate this Cask Strength one tiny bit  and I doubt I will end up sharing it with anybody either.   I'd say, if you have the money and enjoy Maker's 46, give it a shot, I highly doubt you'll find it deplorable.

I'll give it a shot sometime! I'm not always a wheater guy, but when I'm feeling it next time this might be my choice,

21 hours ago, diabretic said:

I can't find Blanton's anywhere down here and it's driving me crazy.

I read all kinds of great reviews for Blanton's and I've gotta say...tastes like alfalfa to me. I don't love it. Come to Portland and you'll be able to find all your little heart could possibly desire though! :)

• 3 months later...

Been a while! I took a little bit of a break from buying to just enjoy some of what I already had, but my local called me today to let me know they had a Weller 12year with my name on it ;)

I'll be picking that up after work today!

Was happy to get myself on their lottery list for the Van Winkles and Buffalo Trace Antique Collection stuff recently too, looking forward to (probably not) winning the chance to buy any of those!

• 3 weeks later...