Damn Good R&B, Soul, Funk

Is anyone else really into the great r&b of the 70's? Which artists/albums?

For the past year or so, I've listened to a whole bunch of Curtis and Al, and i can never turn down Earth Wind & Fire. And while some may (foolishly) say they don't belong here, Hall & Oates are literally one of my all time favorites.

After turning more attention towards that good soul, I started listening to groups like Tavares and The Brothers Johnson.

Last week I picked up an LP by a funk group, Skyy. It's a good times gem.

A few days ago, I came across the group The Floaters when some website had their single "Float On" embedded. The song was great, and I downloaded their Best Of, and gave it a listen tonight. I wish the vocals were a bit more polished, because they had a damn good sound otherwise.

From their last.fm page, I was also able to get my hands on some albums by The Main Ingredient, Major Harris.. and I was reminded to finally get Otis Redding and The Chi-Lites.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':a1j1jt12]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':a1j1jt12]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

R&B, soul and funk covers a lot of territory. Enough so, that they each might need their own thread.

Soul: stylistics, 70's era Temptations, Delfonics, 70's era Impressions, Isaac Hayes, Bill Withers, King Floyd, Billy Paul, Barry White, Marvin Gaye, The Spinners, Staple Singers, Sly, the Meters, the Chi-lites, the O'Jays, Roberta Flack, Bobby Womack, Solomon Burke, Donny Hathaway

Funk: Ohio Players, Average White Band, Parliament, Graham Central Station, The Gap Band, Wild Cherry, Funkadelic, Betty Davis.

That should get you started.

NUMERO GROUP NUMERO GROUP NUMERO GROUP

Srsly dudes, this label has THE best obscure soul and R and B out there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p477UlT695o&hl=en&fs=1

Admittedly I'm not that up on 70's stuff just because that's when I personally think the genres started getting way too slick and lost a lot of the grit from the 60's stuff. James Brown and even afro beat stuff like Segun Bucknor and Fela Kuti were running bands so tight and precise while staying raw and tough - while I like him, I blame Stevie Wonder for much of the direction soul/r and b went in from the 70's onward.

You all should absolutely check out The Budos Band. Super Funky. All instrumental. Really good stuff.

my old coworker use to play tons of this stuff at work, budos band was one i really liked alot.

also i didnt bother to clearly read the OP's full post. i thought you were just looking for funk and sould, as it didn't need to be 70". i'll pop off a few wheni get around..

R&B, soul and funk covers a lot of territory. Enough so, that they each might need their own thread.

Soul: stylistics, 70's era Temptations, Delfonics, 70's era Impressions, Isaac Hayes, Bill Withers, King Floyd, Billy Paul, Barry White, Marvin Gaye, The Spinners, Staple Singers, Sly, the Meters, the Chi-lites, the O'Jays, Roberta Flack, Bobby Womack, Solomon Burke, Donny Hathaway

Funk: Ohio Players, Average White Band, Parliament, Graham Central Station, The Gap Band, Wild Cherry, Funkadelic, Betty Davis.

That should get you started.

ive listened to a good handful of what youve got there, so i trust the rest is on par also.

well aware of the broadness of genres, but i feel like discussion in here will be light enough to cover all that ground at once.

Sooo much great soul/funk from the 70's, many already mentioned.

Some of my favs:

From James Brown's Empire-

The JB's

Lyn Collins

Bobby Byrd

Maceo Parker

I second Graham Central Station featuring Larry Graham from Sly and the Family Stone

Curtis Mayfield

The Pharoahs

Kool and the Gang- self titled and Wild and Peaceful

Earth Wind and Fire- self titled and All I Need Is Love, so much funkier than later stuff

Meters- yeah any

Midnight Movers

Kaygees

Savage OST by Don Julian

Voices of East Harlem

Then if you want to move over into funky soul jazz it could get even trickier for your wallet.

Rusty Bryant-Fire Eater

Chester Thompson- Powerhouse

Deiter Reith= KNockout

Nucleus- any damn thing you can afford, though Snakehips Etcetera can be found for somewhat reasonable

Jimmy Smith- Root Down(see Beastie Boys)

Ivan Boogaloo Jones- any

Idris Muhammed- Black Rythym Revolution

Wlodek Gulgowski- Soundcheck

AND last, the James Brown of Africa:

Fela Kuti- ANYTHING

Hall & Oates fuckin' rule!!! No facetiousness in my statement whatsoever.

But here are a few off the top of my head:

baby huey is great, and his album can be found for 10-12$ brand new

another cheap find, gil scott heron from his album with brian jackson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b2F-XX0Ol0&hl=en&fs=1

its such a great album, i find it more accessible than revolution