Shit on bands here

I listen to tons of punk too, but it really has no bearing on my ability to access other types of music, and I think the reason Derek made that comparison is because NOFX and Green Day was cool when in your teen years and its kind of confining to have not branched out in a decade. 

Hard to take you serious about how grown up you are and not confined to your teenage years when you go on a downvote brigrade through someone's past posts because they disagree with you.

Hard to take you serious about how grown up you are and not confined to your teenage years when you go on a downvote brigrade through someone's past posts because they disagree with you.

You disagree with what? How can one disagree with a YouTube video? Sorry if you liked that new Black Flag album art lol. 

Just to clarify, that post of mine wasn't aimed at Blockmblock21 specifically, nor does it pertain to ambient exclusively. As Logan said, ripping on instrumental music at VC is nothing new, and the post was for anyone trying to lump together ambient with all instrumental acts while insisting that they're not "real music". I've also read that all music without vocals is just pretentious bullshit made to be played at coffee houses, which is also pretty hilarious. The entirety of the rant wasn't directed at thebiglebowski, but his post was the catalyst for a few points.

This kinda kills the whole point of your edit though, you are acting like what you like is better/more sophisticated/smarter than others.

I guess it's how you interpret it. Because there are no shortage of quality "rock" bands that a lot of people enjoy – that can't be denied. My point was that instrumental artists aren't necessarily better than traditional artists on all footings; I didn't want to portray that opinion with my post. And yeah, you can call me a snob if you'd like, but an ambient record that crafts detailed soundscapes is more sophisticated / smarter than something like Green Day. The same power chords, time signatures, verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus formats, and pseudo-angsty political garbage just don't do much for me. That's personally speaking, anyway. I can't knock the band entirely because they were a lot of fun in junior high. But if it makes me pretentious to enjoy genres and artists with a bit more substance, I'm cool with that.

"Ambient music" might as well be whale noises, and if I want to listen to whale noises I WILL PUT ON MY FRIGGIN' WHALE NOISES TAPE THAT GOT HELLA WARPED AND SOUNDS WAY COOLER NOW.

Took a listen to the Unsane, and there's some similarities but think more punk and less metal

It's just Unsane and they are the shit. I'm sure you first heard them in the first Tony Hawk. I forgot they were in there until a few weeks ago and it blew my mind.

It's just a bunch of random noises. If that's your thing, cool. I don't even consider it music. It's in the same category for me as whale sounds would be -- something to pass out to.

Aren't you the guy who refuses to listen to instrumental music? Ugh. I'm not sure at what point in history music became more about shitty singing and storytelling versus instrumentation and the intricacies in the melodies, but fuck this place makes me sad sometimes.

Edit: Oh and unrelated, I listened to Rancid for my first time willingly (and first time since I was a kid) last night and it was one of the worst things ever. Mall punk to the max. I'd go on a rant about the mohawks but Justice already covered that.

Aren't you the guy who refuses to listen to instrumental music?

To be fair, I think he's tried to in the past... and decided that it was less instrumental music than it was "instrumental noises".  I feel like that says enough in itself.  And it sounds like a personal problem to me, so I'm hardly sweating it.

First time I heard Saves the Day was seeing them open for Weezer back in like 2002. I fucking haaaaaated them. A giant arena probably wasn't the best venue for them. Checked their stuff out a few years later and dug some of Through Being Cool and Stay What You Are. Haven't listened to them in years and that probably won't change though.

I've listened to a bunch of their stuff, and I don't know why I don't like them, but I just cannot get into Saves the Day.

i cannot get into anything pre-stay what you are. and then give or take a couple tracks on the next 2 albums, nothing after in reverie.