Awesome finds...

I'm not scared of snakes....but I surely wouldn't hold a Copperhead...especially in the wild....

fair enough. truth be told that was my buddy holding it, as i was taking the picture. At one point i was holding the tail and he had the head. It wiggled from my grip and almost bit him. He didn't find it as funny as i did.

That four-toed salamander was an unexpected find. They weren't supposed to be were we found it. score. 1/1.

The only thing better than finding two dollars in your pocket would be finding three dollars. and maybe a sandwich.

Great pictures! I've really been wanting to get into herping lately. Definitely a bold move getting so intimate with a copperhead!

Go for it. Now's the perfect time for some great herping. Many frogs are calling from their breeding ponds. Snakes are waking from their hibernacula. The days are getting warmer, the underbrush isn't thick and the ticks and chiggers are not out of control yet.

Just remember to roll logs towards you. If you pick something up from under the log, put the log back first and then place the critter next to it. It will find its way back underneath - you don't want to swish it under the log.

Also, always put back the animal in the area you found it. Be sure to wash you hands before and after herping. Especially, if you are sampling multiple sites. This is of particular concern for the amphibians. There are several diseases (e.g., chrytid fungus, Ranavirus) that are having a serious impact on amphibian populations. You don't want to spread infections and you also don't want to catch beaver fever.

Have fun. getting a nice picture is as good as picking things up. Also, many states (North Carilona for one) have websites in place where you can report your finds to their respective wildlife agencies.

where in the fuck do you live?

i live a few miles over the DC line. The first three pics were taken outside of Annapolis and the copperhead, while in most counties in MD, was caught near Bull Run, VA.

• 3 weeks later...

juvenile timber rattlesnake - Crotalus horridus - found this little guy this very afternoon.

[image]

Florida cottonmouth - Agkistrodon piscivorus conanti - Was hoping to find an eastern diamondback on a trip to Sapelo Island, GA recently; alas, no such luck. however, i will post this cottonmouth i found over last Thanksgiving while visting my grandparents in FL.

[image]

• 7 months later...

Ressurecting this old thread... Last one until next spring.

Northern Brown Snake - Storeria dekayi dekayi - Found this guy on one of the last warm autumn days by sheer happenstance. Almost stepped on the poor fellow. If i had more practice with the cell phone camera i might have taken a better shot.

NBS_NWBT_11-12-12.jpg

the fuck is herping?

turtle in the first post is rad

herping - searching for herpetofauna - Amphibians (frogs, toads, salamanders, etc.) and Reptiles (snakes, lizards, turtles, etc.). good times for all.

Spotted turtles are indeed rad. It was a good day finding that one. They hadn't been reported from that location in nearly 20 years.

ok, i lied here are few more until next spring.

Juvenile Black Rat Snake - Pantherophis alleghaniensis

Juv_BRS_SERC_4-20-11-1.jpg

Eastern Red-backed Salamander - Plethodon cinereus

RedBack_HMP.jpg

Eastern Red Spotted Newt - Terrestrial Red Eft Stage - Notophthalmus viridescens

SERC_Red_Eft_03-17-12.jpg

• 4 months later...

Here are some of my RSD finds....

Rough Green Snake - Opheodrys aestivus

GreenSnake_HuntleyMeadows_042013_zpsce4a

Eastern Garter Snake - Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis

GarterSnake_HuntleyMeadows_042013_zpsac9

Common Ribbon Snake - Thamnophis sauritus sauritus

RibbonSnake_HuntleyMeadows_042013_zps733

Timber Rattlesnake - Crotalus horridus. This wasn't on RSD, but still an awesome find indeed. It was huge, heavy and pissed off.

Timber_VA_041413_zpsd59bb063.jpg