Record Store day sucks ass.

No one forces anyone to take part. So the crying about RSD is stupid.

However, I would like to bitch about this year's RSD. It sucks! I spent a lot of money last year, and this year I'm looking at maybe eight essentials, and maybe another seven I would only spend money on because I'm there but I really shouldn't because they're reissues and I have the originals.

It is getting to be a lot more unessential reissues. There's a whole decade called The 90's that they could be doing reissues for. But instead we get another Stooges reissue (I love the Stooges, but the Sundazed reissue is so well done, and readily available, that's it's just not necessary), or Walk Among Us, which is also easy to find both 1988 pressings of, and the one they released last RSD. But this year it's on color, so you gotta buy it again. The rest is just a bunch of alt and indie rock, and silly collaborations and remixes. They put stuff out this stuff that would otherwise sit on shelves for years because they know it will sell in the excitement of the day.

RSD is great, the choice of releases is questionable.

Yes, please get me one too. Thanks

Me three. That's my top target, outside of DFA1979. If anyone finds an extra I'll buy it even if I find one as well.

I'm going to grab a bunch of stuff that I see to sell here at cost.

If I remember to wake up. Last year it was like 3pm before I realized what day it was.

Brand new releases from Phish, Ryan Adams, Animal Collective, Grateful Dead, Flaming Lips, Jeff The Brotherhood, Miles Davis, Genesis, etc...

Maybe you teenie boppers should stop listening to your watered down Sum 41 pop punk retard garbage and start listening to some real music, by real musicians. Then maybe you would be in love with this years RSD releases instead of the lousy griping about a day when an insane number of musicians come together to release a ton of records.

Brand new releases from Phish, Ryan Adams, Animal Collective, Grateful Dead, Flaming Lips, Jeff The Brotherhood, Miles Davis, Genesis, etc...

Maybe you teenie boppers should stop listening to your watered down Sum 41 pop punk retard garbage and start listening to some real music, by real musicians. Then maybe you would be in love with this years RSD releases instead of the lousy griping about a day when an insane number of musicians come together to release a ton of records.

your argument is invalid because phish is the worst band ever no matter what you like.

While I don't listen to Sum 41 or "pop punk retard garbage", I still think this post is pretty condescending. Regardless of what music you enjoy and appropriately listen to, there's no denying that RSD has more or less been degenerated to mad scrambles to buy overpriced, limited records. Either to gloat about or flip, really, and that's the ugly truth of it.

The idea is wonderful on paper. I just feel like all of these "high demand" releases should be pressed in higher numbers and dispersed a little more generously. Giving three copies of a highly sought-after album to your local record store - marked up 200% - and claiming that it's preserving the spirit of record collecting is a little ironic. You can't deny that the modern RSD has more or less boiled down to eBay shenanigans and mad dashes to snatch up "exclusive RSD" items a week or two after the event.

tl, dr; OP voices legitimate sentiments... but in a little too whiny of a manner. I doubt RSD will ever put high-demand records in the hands of everyone at a fair price. But if it's generating mom'n'pop revenue (and attention), I suppose one could argue that it's a necessary evil of sorts.

your argument is invalid because phish is the worst band ever no matter what you like.

Its too bad you never took the time to get their music. Acquired taste I guess but theres no denying theyre a group of 4 extraordinarily talented musicians.

While I don't listen to Sum 41 or "pop punk retard garbage", I still think this post is pretty condescending. Regardless of what music you enjoy and appropriately listen to, there's no denying that RSD has more or less been degenerated to mad scrambles to buy overpriced, limited records. Either to gloat about or flip, really, and that's the ugly truth of it.

The idea is wonderful on paper. I just feel like all of these "high demand" releases should be pressed in higher numbers and dispersed a little more generously. Giving three copies of a highly sought-after album to your local record store - marked up 200% - and claiming that it's preserving the spirit of record collecting is a little ironic. You can't deny that the modern RSD has more or less boiled down to eBay shenanigans and mad dashes to snatch up "exclusive RSD" items a week or two after the event.

tl, dr; OP voices legitimate sentiments... but in a little too whiny of a manner. I doubt RSD will ever put high-demand records in the hands of everyone at a fair price. But if it's generating mom'n'pop revenue (and attention), I suppose one could argue that it's a necessary evil of sorts.

Limited sells and over-priced helps out the Record Stores that this day was started to help try and save. Maybe if you thought of it more as a donation to a noble cause, it wouldnt be so awful?

I like my local record stores and i like the fact that they get a day that makes them a good amount of money which helps them buy new titles, pay their employees/rent/taxes, etc... If my local record store is forced to close, Im forced to drive further to the next one and if that one closes down, repeat process. Cant believe were on a vinyl collection message board yet there are jaded folks on here about helping out record stores.

I can understand not going if you dont like the titles being released this year (my counter argument would be to diversify your musical tastes a bit more), but you also need to realize that the world doesnt strictly revolve around you either.

In a year where some are complaining about the releases, this is easily the best release lineup in my and im sure lots of other peoples opinions.

First of all, new grateful dead? Makes sense. Also How much was that reissue of I love rock and roll or the first tom petty record last year? how much is it actually worth? I got my copy for 4 bucks on both of those.

Also I fully agree with the "watered down sum 41 pop punk retard garbage" comment, this forum just drones on and on about shitty bands.

the more posts I see about RSD releases, the more I groan. I'm seeing more and more I want, didn't think I'd have to drop a fortune like last year. it's all good fun, hang out with a few friends and dig for records with a crowd of people clambering for the same shit. I support anything that keeps the local stores in business, I don't get to them nearly as often as I'd like to with gas prices and everything online wiping out my spending money. gotta give them at least one day of financial support.

First of all, new grateful dead? Makes sense. Also How much was that reissue of I love rock and roll or the first tom petty record last year? how much is it actually worth? I got my copy for 4 bucks on both of those.

Also I fully agree with the "watered down sum 41 pop punk retard garbage" comment, this forum just drones on and on about shitty bands.

Its new in the fact that this single 40 minute version of Dark Star has never been pressed to vinyl. Just because it isnt a fresh studio recording doesnt mean its not a brand new release. I cannot wait to own it simply for the fact that its fucking DARK STAR and its gonna completely fill both sides of the record alone.

RSD is actually a great concept but the major labels just went ahead and fucked it up completely from the get go. I'm still gonna buy 3-4 for 7s this year just so I can pump some extra money into my favorite local shop. I will be buying the rest of the things I want 6 months down the road for half the price.

Edit - "watered down Sum 41 pop punk retard garbage" is one of the funnier things I've read around here lately. Good stuff.

the more posts I see about RSD releases, the more I groan. I'm seeing more and more I want, didn't think I'd have to drop a fortune like last year. it's all good fun, hang out with a few friends and dig for records with a crowd of people clambering for the same shit. I support anything that keeps the local stores in business, I don't get to them nearly as often as I'd like to with gas prices and everything online wiping out my spending money. gotta give them at least one day of financial support.

I probably had just as much fun talking music with complete strangers who were waiting in line with me, as I did putting the records on my turntable when I got home. IMO its an outstanding event and I really enjoy heading out there early every year. Plus its for a noble cause. RSD is such a win-win for everything except for my wallet which is obviously a variable I can control, haha. I just cannot see why people bitch about the opportunity to go mingle with some diehard music lovers, head out to a record store and pickup some records from a laundry list of some pretty kickass releases?