Official "Help Me Choose a Turntable" v.2.0 Thread

After about a week or so, I've finally read through all 19 pages (granted, I had to skim through some posts because they were a little over my head). There's a lot of great info that I really appreciate- especially love the list compiled by alexschelldorf!

I got a Rega RP1 as an early birthday gift and need to build a set-up from the ground up. I’m going from a Crosley so have no idea about audio equipment since it was an all-in-one. I was wondering if I could get some personalized help. The set-up would be in my living room and I would like it to be clearly heard throughout the room and the kitchen (which is open to the living room- altogether the space is 11’10”x 23’). I’d mainly be listening through the speakers, but if possibly, I’d like something that will allow me to listen through headphones as well. I’ve read the advantages of vintage equipment a lot of people have listed, but the truth of the matter is, with as new as I am to this type of equipment, I don’t even know where I would begin with testing equipment I find on Craigslist and such. Also, yes, I am really impatient.

I would like to stay between $400-800 if possible- for something reliable, that will give me good sound quality (granted, everything will sound better than the Crosley). I’ve googled most of the preamps, receivers, speakers people have suggested thus far, but because I don’t really know what I’m looking for with the reviews I just find myself looking at the price and being very confused as to whether or not a certain piece of equipment is really better than the last one I looked at because it’s more expensive.

Here are some basic questions I have:

1. bookshelf vs floor standing for the type of room I’m trying to fill

2. if I get the Cambridge Audio 640p (may just get it because of how highly recommended it’s been- unless someone that has a Rega can offer a different suggestion) if I’ll need an amp and receiver as well

3. would I be able to plug an ipod player (currently have an ihome) into speakers. I'm guessing not because it has built-in speakers, but figured I would ask.

Also, if I could get specific recommendations, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!!

After about a week or so, I've finally read through all 19 pages (granted, I had to skim through some posts because they were a little over my head). There's a lot of great info that I really appreciate- especially love the list compiled by alexschelldorf!

I got a Rega RP1 as an early birthday gift and need to build a set-up from the ground up. I’m going from a Crosley so have no idea about audio equipment since it was an all-in-one. I was wondering if I could get some personalized help. The set-up would be in my living room and I would like it to be clearly heard throughout the room and the kitchen (which is open to the living room- altogether the space is 11’10”x 23’). I’d mainly be listening through the speakers, but if possibly, I’d like something that will allow me to listen through headphones as well. I’ve read the advantages of vintage equipment a lot of people have listed, but the truth of the matter is, with as new as I am to this type of equipment, I don’t even know where I would begin with testing equipment I find on Craigslist and such. Also, yes, I am really impatient.

I would like to stay between $400-800 if possible- for something reliable, that will give me good sound quality (granted, everything will sound better than the Crosley). I’ve googled most of the preamps, receivers, speakers people have suggested thus far, but because I don’t really know what I’m looking for with the reviews I just find myself looking at the price and being very confused as to whether or not a certain piece of equipment is really better than the last one I looked at because it’s more expensive.

2. if I get the Cambridge Audio 640p (may just get it because of how highly recommended it’s been- unless someone that has a Rega can offer a different suggestion) if I’ll need an amp and receiver as well

3. would I be able to plug an ipod player (currently have an ihome) into speakers. I'm guessing not because it has built-in speakers, but figured I would ask.

Also, if I could get specific recommendations, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!!

The best advice I can give people regarding speakers is to try to find a shop in your area that you can actually test drive stuff. I listen to all different types of stuff, but I've found I really like Polk audio equipment. There's dudes on here who swear by "X"/so and so/yadda yadda brand. If you don't have a place nearby, I would ask people who have similar tastes.

If you have the phono pre-amp, you still need an amp. I'd go with the Cambridge Topaz AM10. It has a phono preamp stage if you have a table that needs it (in the future- Rega outplays my Debut 3 though). It also has an auxiliary out, etc. for your iPods and such. Your iHome is a standalone unit and can't support additional speakers.

The AM10 is a good, middle-ish grade amp at $350.

Also consider many bookshelf speakers are passive and don't require amplification separate from the table, whereas many floor standing speakers do. You also will want a subwoofer. And when you wire it up, buy banana plugs. They will make your life easier.

if you spend the money on a decent amp that has enough power for higher end speakers you shouldn't need anything above a good set of bookshelf speakers...

end of the day it sort of comes down to aesthetics... once you choose how much money you are going to spend on each item, everything within that price point sounds pretty much the same with a few minor tweaks here and there...

just my two cents.

end of the day it sort of comes down to aesthetics... once you choose how much money you are going to spend on each item, everything within that price point sounds pretty much the same with a few minor tweaks here and there...

just my two cents.

Couldn't disagree more. Speakers are the most diverse sounding of the playback chain. Some have more treble, some have more bass (or no bass in the case of satellite speakers), some have emphasized (not the same as just "more") highs, mids, or lows. Some are completely neutral and flat (in EQ). It doesn't matter whether you are spending a lot or a little, there is a noticeable difference in any range of speakers between brands, style, and models even. That doesn't mean everyone will care, but if one does care, always compare with other speakers to see if you like the sonic characteristics of the speakers in your price range, or if you like one over another.

I'm fairly new to collecting, and I want to upgrade my setup from a Crosley (I know, I know) to an Audio Technica AT-LP 120, and I've got a couple quick questions.

With the AT120 setup, since it has a built in pre-amp, all I would need to purchase in addition to the TT is an amp and a set of speakers, right? Is there anything I should look for in particular in amp/speaker shopping? Thanks for any help!

I'm fairly new to collecting, and I want to upgrade my setup from a Crosley (I know, I know) to an Audio Technica AT-LP 120, and I've got a couple quick questions.

With the AT120 setup, since it has a built in pre-amp, all I would need to purchase in addition to the TT is an amp and a set of speakers, right? Is there anything I should look for in particular in amp/speaker shopping? Thanks for any help!

I'm looking at the same turntable and, from advice given to me, I've been told you can just get a set of powered speakers like studio monitors. Also, you can get a receiver with a phono imput and speakers and that will work. I'm not messing around with an amp. It seems like an extra step that just confuses the hell out of me

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so i've been collecting for about a year and a half now. And my set up has been

Turntable - Sony PS-LX250H

Amplifier - Emerson HT-200 (not needed with the sony really but this info is relevant to my question)

Speakers - Bose cinemate 2

And i'm looking to upgrade the turntable. my price range is 200-350. But i have to be honest i'm feeling really lost while reading reviews of most tables. i'm in no way an expert and i feel like you would have to study a fucking textbook to understand all this stuff. Theres way more involved then i ever thought possible. Okay to the point, i'm looking at the Audio Technica ATLP120 Professional Turntable. and it seems to be highly reviewed as a table that is decent but not amazing. and people are saying its defiantly worth the price. $219. So i'm leaning towards going with this one.

my question is:

One: opinion on the quality of this table. keep in mind i don't really understand a lot of the technical talk. and i don't necessarily need state of the art features. i kind of just want something better then my sony. $219 better.

Two: is this compatible with my other stuff. Mainly the Amplifier. I know this requires an amplifier to work. Is that gonna work.

any info is greatly aprieciated. Thanks in advance for all the help!

Edit: also since i would be spending less then i thought if there are any upgrades for this i should look into i have a lil over a $100 more to put into it.

1) The common lower end table people are purchasing is a Debut III. Look into it.

2) Most all new turntables will be compatiable with your amp. As long as it has phono preamp, you'll be fine.

For the price you pay for a Debut 3 you can get a WAY better used vintage table. I don't understand why people waste their money on their ugly things.

Your dollar will go way way way way waaaaaay further if you buy a used vintage table. Pay a LOT of attention to the cartridge on the table, they are often worth way more then the tables people are selling them on and have MUCH MORE to do with the sound of the table then the actual table itself.

Buy a vintage table, then buy a new Denon moving coil with the money you saved. Then enjoy!

I am currently selling a Pioneer PL-570 Direct Drive on the Bay, starting bid $500, that's the kinda table you buy!

It's cool youre on the vintage kick. I used to be too. But technology evolves for a reason. Here's the thing. Say anyone bought a vintage table from a person who said its in great working condition for $150 off eBay. A month later the motor dies. Or the cart is destroyed. Or maybe an internal gear from all the automated crap they out in older tables chips. You're out that money.

I made a fortune when I repaired vintage tables for a living. It was my "side job" that paid more than my full time job. Now you seem to know a good bit about audio, but this board lacks a lot. For people on this board to invest in something vintage, they better have a friend who works with tables or they will always be taking a risk.

It's cool youre on the vintage kick. I used to be too. But technology evolves for a reason. Here's the thing. Say anyone bought a vintage table from a person who said its in great working condition for $150 off eBay. A month later the motor dies. Or the cart is destroyed. Or maybe an internal gear from all the automated crap they out in older tables chips. You're out that money.

I made a fortune when I repaired vintage tables for a living. It was my "side job" that paid more than my full time job. Now you seem to know a good bit about audio, but this board lacks a lot. For people on this board to invest in something vintage, they better have a friend who works with tables or they will always be taking a risk.

my exact thoughts.

Hi guys ! First post here.

So i've done some research aroudn these boards, and i've decided to buy the Pro-ject Debut III as my first TT ever. I'm just starting in the vinyl business, and this one seems to have a good quality/price ratio.

Now, I have some questions about the rest of the setup. I know that I need an amp with phono input. Problem is, I have a small budget, and I would like to use my Logitech Z5500 kit as speakers. My first question is, will I be able to hook up TT<Amp (phono input)<Logitech Z5500 ?

My second question is, is that amp good enough to go with the Project Debut III ? Keeping in mind I do not have a lot of choice as far as buying second hand, because i'm located in Belgium. Also, i might upgrade to a separate pre-amp when I have the funds. Right now, I just wanna listen to the vinyl I have. I wanna start with a strong base that I could upgrade afterwards (Hence the Debut III, but crappy amp)

http://www.son-video...oneer_A209.html

Thank you for your input (no pun intended)

Also, i'm sorry if my english is not the best :)

Cheers

As far as I could tell the amp looks 'good' enough. My only thought was are your logitech speakers powered? Do they haven an electrical plug? Also how do you connect them to (I'm guessing your computer?) If its with a 3.5mm plug aka (headphone jack) you may not be able to use those with the amp.

This is just a guess though, I'm not familiar with the equipment and didn't have time to google them cause I'm at work.

Thanks for the help. The Logitech Z5500 is a home theater speaker system, 5.1 with a control unit, active speakers. It has it's own electrical plug, yes.

Those are the connections available:

SPDIF input ( RCA phono ),

SPDIF input ( TOSLINK ),

Audio line-in ( Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ),

5.1 channel audio line-in ( Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm x 3 )

I've hookep it up to my Pc via audio line-in ( 3.5mm)

Ignore the orange arrow on this pic, I just found it online.

Home-Theater-Coaxial-SPDIF.jpg

I think I figured it out. I can just get a pre-amp and hook it up to my Logitech set, since it's already amplified (with RCA to mini cables). Can anybody confirm ?

Edit : This pre-amp any good ?

http://www.son-video...o-Box-MMDC.html

Edit 2 : Also got the possibility of buying a Pro-ject Debut III Esprit for 75 bucks more than the DEbut III. ANy good ?

• 1 month later...

Alright, so I guess I should begin planning this now. I want to get a player of my own, now that I've started collecting for a couple months now. I've been using my mom's player (http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Teac-SL-A100-Retro-styled-AM-FM-Stereo-with-Teac-SL-A100-Retro-styled-AM-FM-Stereo-with-Turntable-Refurbished/931038/product.html), but I doubt I'm going to bring this to school because one: it's so big, and two: it's hers. So now I'm looking for something to bring to school, and then keep at home after. I don't want to spend TOO much, but I can have a fairly decent budget if it's something that will last me quite a while. This will likely be coming out of my own pocket, so I want the best bang for the buck. I know nothing about amps and the sort, but I do have these logitech surround sound digital speakers that I would love to hook it up to, although I'm not even sure how that would work. I've been told that there's not a really good way to connect it, but I trust you guys more when it comes to this sort of thing. Let me know!