Official "Help Me Choose a Turntable" v.2.0 Thread

I assume the older Pro-ject turntables don't have a wall wart power supply. That's essentially what is required for the Speed Box to work. If the power supply is hard-wired then the Speed Box won't work. "Only models with mains socket 16V/AC power supply." I've checked the manual for the Speed Box II and Speed Box S and used both on a Debut Carbon. 

Ah, this link clarifies things a little. It looks like non-North American models can't use the speed box.

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=speedboxs&cat=boxes〈=en

The Debut Carbon comes with a Ortofon 2M Red which is better than an Ortofon OM5E. Debut Carbon is $50 cheaper too, right? The upgrade path with the Debut Carbon is also cheaper: acrylic platter = $125, speed box = $129.

The Debut Carbon USB preamp is not switchable. Meaning you can't turn off the built-in preamp if you decide to upgrade or change preamps in the future. You're essentially stuck with that preamp as long as you have the turntable. Fine if you never plan to upgrade or keep it as a turntable plugged into your computer.

I have nothing against Rega's, I actually like them but being that the RP1 is more expensive and has a lesser cartridge, it will steer people to a Debut Carbon. Oh, RP1 has a matte finish, Debut Carbon is glossy.

Thanks very much.  This helps a lot.  Sounds like the best way to keep my options open is to get a usb ready pre-amp (like the Pro-Ject Phono Box USB) to digitze my vinyl.

So I've been casually collecting records for the past few years, since getting an entry level Sony PS-LX300USB as a gift. Back when I was listening to my records once every few weeks, it did the job, but over the past 6 months I've really fallen in love with vinyl and made significant investments in building up a collection that really reflects my favorite records and artists. Doing so has really showcased the limitations in my current turntable -- static, mediocre sound quality and perhaps most annoying, inconsistent speeds. I can notice when the a record is just a tad too fast or too slow, and it drives me nuts.

So while my collection is in a great place and I'm content with my home theater setup -- it's clearly time to upgrade my turntable. I don't think I can justify dropping a grand on a turntable at the moment, but I would like to invest in something that represents a clear upgrade over my current setup and is fairly plug and play. Like many others have stated, I'm drawn to the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon for it's price and simplicity, but I have a few questions.

1) My current player apparently has a phono amp already built into the system. Does the more expensive USB model of the Debut Carbon function similarly? Are the drawbacks of this option limited to possible mechanical failure or does it typically result in inferior sound quality as well?

2) If I were to go with the non-USB model, what are some phono amps that will equal or surpass the built in one in the USB model without breaking the bank?

3) Acrylic platters seem to be the upgrade of choice here. If I'm looking to minimize noise and static, is that the definitive way to go or are there comparable alternatives? I don't have an issue with the price, but I'm not crazy about the idea of a white platter on my system. Willing to go that route if it's the clear winner though.

4) If I'm not buying in-store, is there any reason to go with a vendor like Needle Doctor over say Amazon? Do they offer a superior warranty, service or some sort of pre-shipping calibration?

5) Are there other models I should be considering in the sub-$500 range?

Is there anything else I should be taking into account coming off a starter system like the Sony? I'm sure many of these questions are pretty elementary for you, but they're extremely helpful for me so I appreciate any insight you guys can provide.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I find confusing about the speed box upgrade is that Pro-ject's website states the following:

"Debut Carbon and Debut Carbon Esprit can not be used with the Speed Box II because they require a 230 volt connection."

(http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=speedbox&cat=accessories)

Do people basically ignore that warning?  If so, on what grounds? am I missing something?

EU versions cannot work with the Speedbox because they are spec'd to meet newer regulations. US versions should work fine.

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48460

Isn't it annoying to manually move the belt to change from 33rpm to 45rpm with the Rega P3 & the Pro-ject debut III turntables?

And doens't that affect the lifetime of the belt?

That's the only thing that's holding me back atm to buy one of those.

(Does anyone has an opinion about "Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB"? It was asked before by someone else here but I didn't saw a reply.)

Sorry for the (very) late reply. It's not more annoying that taking a record out of its poly sleeve, then out of it's picture sleeve, then out of it's inner sleeve and then putting it on the platter. You simply puck up the platter and move the band to the correct gear. It takes a couple of seconds with just one hand. It's part of the ritual, and I love the ritual of playing records.

Sorry for the (very) late reply. It's not more annoying that taking a record out of its poly sleeve, then out of it's picture sleeve, then out of it's inner sleeve and then putting it on the platter. You simply puck up the platter and move the band to the correct gear. It takes a couple of seconds with just one hand. It's part of the ritual, and I love the ritual of playing records.

this.....its really not too much of a hassel

anyone got experience with the dual cs-5000?

Not directly, but I'm a moderate fan of Duals and the CS-5000 is considered by some the "holy grail" of the company's tables.  Personally, I'd prefer the idler-wheel driven 1219 or 1229; I just think they're cooler and more unique.

The CS-5000 is a beautiful table though, and pretty rare, to boot.  They fetch decent prices on fleabay and word is that they're pretty good performers.  I've read that some have reliability issues.

Are you asking because you have one ... or you can get one?  If it's the later, and it's in good condition and not overpriced, I'd consider it.

Hey! I don't really post much on this section but I want to know what you guys think is a better option to upgrade. About a year ago or so I was given this as a gift

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MIQ9W4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000UVKE2I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1D99KM29HJ1SPYJNA1VE

Definitely not the best but I guess it was a good start, I don't really use the CD player anymore though and my collection has grown immensely since then. I've been thinking about an Audio Technica AT-LP120 or Technics SL-3200. As far as a receiver and speakers go I'm open to suggestions  ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, it's time. I've got a check from last year at college and I have enough to afford a new Turntable. My TT now is a AT LP60, and as it is I'm too scared to play a record more than once on it.

A lot of car troubles have surfaced and that's pulling me a couple of different ways (budget is around $300-400). I've calculated quite a bit actually and I'm looking at 2 models. 

The Pro-Ject Carbon, or the Essential. 

While the Carbon is just an extra $100. I am in College (and I will be for an extended period of time) and I need money desperately. I don't plan on buying a new Cart for it anytime soon, so I will be stuck with the stock cart for about a year. I can't see myself at this point comfortably spending 400 on a turntable, and considering my career choice.. I'll never be able to comfortably spend 400. I just will not be making that kind of money (yes a $100 is a lot to me.. especially considering the fact that I like to eat) 

Pretty much this is what I want: Something that is not going to wear my records out very quickly, and sound decent. 

I want to make vinyl my main form of playback, so I want something that I can play a record on again and again and not worry about any potential record damage, rapid vinyl wear, or the table or stylus giving out prematurely. 

So, is there any Essential users on here that can give me some opinions on this table and the stock cart? Is it good? Does the table hold up? The Carbon is of course the better buy, but will the Essential do what I want it to?

Any opinions whatsoever will be appreciated. Please help a poor vinyl collector out.  :(

Adding onto my previous post above, I saw this one: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7622-pro-ject-debut-iii-matte-black-turntable.aspx

Will this be better than the Essential? I've heard good things about the debut III. Will this meet my criteria better than the Essential will? 

Does anyone have any opinions on the debut III?

Adding onto my previous post above, I saw this one: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7622-pro-ject-debut-iii-matte-black-turntable.aspx

Will this be better than the Essential? I've heard good things about the debut III. Will this meet my criteria better than the Essential will? 

Does anyone have any opinions on the debut III?

Debut iii is great. Only major downside is 10" platter.