Official "Help Me Choose a Turntable" v.2.0 Thread

Hello,

I have just recently started collecting vinyl I have a handful at the moment and i finally got a turntable and speakers set up, I will post pictures of it later. Ive come to understand depending on what turntable you have it could wreck vinyl. I have what i think is a Bose model 360 is this a good turntable to start with or should i immediately look at replacing it?

Hello,

I have just recently started collecting vinyl I have a handful at the moment and i finally got a turntable and speakers set up, I will post pictures of it later. Ive come to understand depending on what turntable you have it could wreck vinyl. I have what i think is a Bose model 360 is this a good turntable to start with or should i immediately look at replacing it?

Hello,

If the cartridge and the stylus are in good condition, this thing should serve you well.

Hello,

If the cartridge and the stylus are in good condition, this thing should serve you well.

Hello,

Thanks I think it's alright I am going to replace it just to be safe it wasn't keep in the greatest condition before I bought it

Hello,

Thanks I think it's alright I am going to replace it just to be safe it wasn't keep in the greatest condition before I bought it

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, just signed up - thought I'd chuck my oar in :)

For a cheap first turntable, a used Dual 505 has to be considered. I picked up a 505-2 in a locally advertised private sale (Gumtree) as a temporary measure while I ebayed my Pro-ject Debut III with a view to upgrading.

Soundwise, the 505-2 slaughtered the Debut III. It gave more of an illusion of space and was more detailed without verging towards the slightly brittle highs of the Pro-ject. The 505-2 also has the advantage in this comparison of automatically lifting the arm at the end of a side, having a speed selection switch (without a Speedbox, the pro-ject requires lifting the platter off and moving the belt manually - more on the Speedbox later) and has an adjustment to fine tune rotation speed as well as strobe marks to measure the speed under domestic lighting.

The one place I gave the Debut III the edge was in speed stability, BUT, this was only because I was using a Pro-ject Speedbox power supply. This unit has frequency regulation to ensure a consistent pace, as well as front-mounted switching between 33.3 and 45rpm. The flipside to this is they cost about £100.

Now, I sold that Pro-ject turntable on ebay for £120 (I paid less to buy it new 5 years earlier) and sold the Speedbox for...about £80 I think it was, again more than I paid for it new, so the project gear has kept a good value for resale. The Dual cost me £20.

Eventually, from the sale of my pro-ject stuff I bought a second hand Systemdek IIX for £160/£170 with a Linn LVX (Basik Plus) arm. It now has my Audio Technica At440mla cartridge fitted and it really is a jump in quality - for a good bit less than a new Debut III will cost.

Of course, the second hand market can be a risk if you're new to turntables; some vendors don't know how to properly package these delicate pieces of equipment for transit and it lets you shop with some confidence if you know the basics of servicing the turntable and fixing the cartridge. If you can cover that, even with help from a friend, then second hand is where the value is.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to upgrade my setup.. (see sig) what is a good place to begin? I was thinking of replacing the cartridge but can anyone provide any reccomendations? It's for home listening only. Probably want to spend max £100 but I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the technical side of things.

I'm noticing slightly poorer quality near the centre of the record so the last track or 2 on an LP.

I'm looking to upgrade my setup.. (see sig) what is a good place to begin? I was thinking of replacing the cartridge but can anyone provide any reccomendations? It's for home listening only. Probably want to spend max £100 but I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the technical side of things.

I'm noticing slightly poorer quality near the centre of the record so the last track or 2 on an LP.

The distortion towards the centre is an age old turntable problem called Inner Groove Distortion. It's caused simply by the stylus trying to track a tighter curve that at more outer portions of the record.

Making sure the cartridge alignment and overhang is accurate will help as will buying a cart with a fine stylus (microline, shibata etc). Cheapest is the AT440mla which is currently around £140 in the UK - slightly less in the US i think.

EDIT: I see you're using a cheap DJ cart, I'm guessing this is a 'sperical' stylus and you'll get improved results with a reasonable elliptical replacement. Look at the modestly priced Audio Technicas as a starting point, like the AT95 or AT110

The distortion towards the centre is an age old turntable problem called Inner Groove Distortion. It's caused simply by the stylus trying to track a tighter curve that at more outer portions of the record.

Making sure the cartridge alignment and overhang is accurate will help as will buying a cart with a fine stylus (microline, shibata etc). Cheapest is the AT440mla which is currently around £140 in the UK - slightly less in the US i think.

EDIT: I see you're using a cheap DJ cart, I'm guessing this is a 'sperical' stylus and you'll get improved results with a reasonable elliptical replacement. Look at the modestly priced Audio Technicas as a starting point, like the AT95 or AT110

Thanks for the advice, I've been doing a bit of reading and went with the Ortofon 2M Red @ £75. Will let you know how it sounds once I've got it setup!

Alright, help me out, guys. Audio Technica ATLP120 or Pro-Ject Debut III? I'm a little afraid of the "USB" part of the ATLP120 and what people say about ruining records, and I like what people say of the Debut, but my mind was so set on the Audio Technica, until I saw a sale on the Debut. what should I go for?

Alright, help me out, guys. Audio Technica ATLP120 or Pro-Ject Debut III? I'm a little afraid of the "USB" part of the ATLP120 and what people say about ruining records, and I like what people say of the Debut, but my mind was so set on the Audio Technica, until I saw a sale on the Debut. what should I go for?

Don't buy a USB turntable. For the price the Debut III is solid. You'll find people tell you that if you're going to drop that kind of money on a table you're better off looking used where you will get more bang for your buck. But if you're just looking to buy something new or don't want to go through the effort searching through Craigslist or Audiogon, then pick up the Pro-Ject.

got the debut iii per the nice sale yesterday. everything is smooth but i've never had a higher end turntable. so this is probably a stupid question but if you have you have the counter weight adjusted wrong can the needle dig too deep into the grooves and damage the record over time ? it sounds like the needle is making a tiny scraping type noise whenever a song starts/ends. it's quite a faint & minimal sound but none the less...

got the debut iii per the nice sale yesterday. everything is smooth but i've never had a higher end turntable. so this is probably a stupid question but if you have you have the counter weight adjusted wrong can the needle dig too deep into the grooves and damage the record over time ? it sounds like the needle is making a tiny scraping type noise whenever a song starts/ends. it's quite a faint & minimal sound but none the less...

You definitely don't want to set your tracking force too high. It can be bad for both your records and the stylus. I've also heard that setting it too light is not so good either as you wouldn't want your stylus bouncing around in the groove.

The general rule is that every cartridge has a recommended tracking force range, and you should follow it. That Pro-Ject comes with the Ortofon OM 5E, which should be set somewhere between 1.5 and 2 grams.

http://www.ortofon.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=64

Honestly, as long as you're within that range, you'll be fine. Some people like it a bit heavier because they feel like it gives them better tracking, while others prefer it light as possible ... as long as the stylus is staying in the groove. Sound-wise, it shouldn't make that much of a difference ... although there are people who would argue that it does. Just mess around with the tracking force - within the recommended range, of course - and decide for yourself. Let your ears be the judge.

On that note, playing with the tracking force might shed some light into the faint scraping noise. Give your test record a few runs at different tracking weights and see if you notice a difference.

It could be a number of other things, but one of the most obvious to check for - is the record clean? Is the stylus? Dust and dirt probably wouldn't cause scraping (more like pops / clicks / static noise) but cleaning your records is always a smart idea any way. Occasionally my stylus will pick up a piece of lint or a hair of some sort and that definitely sounds a bit "scrape-y." Do you have a stylus brush? If not, you might be able to use a soft paint brush to remove any lint or other fuzzy things. Remember to always brush from back to front.

Also, your cart / stylus might just need some time to break in. I think that once your new table has logged in 10 or 20 hours of playing time, you'll find that things start to sound better.

Providing you've got the tracking force thing figured out and your vinyl is clean, if in two or three weeks you still hear that scraping, post about it here and I'm sure we can help you pinpoint the issue.

So I ordered my Debut III recently, so it should be arriving soon. Problem is I don't have an amplifier or some speakers. Any recommendations that aren't too expensive? Are these speakers any good?

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-2398-epos-els-8-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

Turntables give out a tiny electrical signal compared to CDs/tuners/cassette decks (otherwise known as 'line level' sources), so you should look out for amplifiers with a designated "phono" input. Be wary though, as some modern amps may have a 'phono' switch that isn't enabled. Sometimes the manufacturers have the phono stage as an optional extra which they'll charge extra for as an upgrade.

Alternatively (and possibly sonically better) you can buy external pre-amps which are connected between the turntable and the regular amp. A great value for money starting point would be the Cambridge Audio 540p (£60) or 640p (£100). You can find ones for as little as £20 as well.

Apart from that, the same rules apply to finding your amp and speakers as it would be for a cd player or any other component.

Hello everyone. I've been collecting vinyl for only a few months, and have a nice collection going. I'm currently listening to my vinyl on an old Panasonic all-in-one thing. It doesn't even have a CD player. Haha. But it's been okay for now, but when I'm listening to anything fast/heavy, it just sounds really bad. I want to upgrade to something decent. I have a pretty small room, and I don't plan to use it for anything else, so I just want something that'll give me good sound quality. And I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. I really don't know a lot at all about turntables or anything. What would be a relatively simple and slightly cheap setup? Goodwill's not being too kind to me. Haha. Can't find anything good lately. What would everyone recommend? What would be a good set of speakers to buy first while I acquire the rest of the setup, so my current setup will at least sound a little better? I'd love to spend less than $300-$400 altogether. I looked at some of the expensive turntables mentioned, and I may get one down the road, but I need something budget-y right now.

ok gotta just to say this because I know people had questions and concerns about this all the time and I usually dont hear anything other than get a new cartridge which is probably a good idea as well but this is another opinion. I have a Project debut III and I've been really trying to wait and get a new cartridge. Welllll instead of going through the trouble of trying to calibrate a new cartridge on to the tonearm I just got a replacement stylus 20. It goes up to 40 I believe and the sound difference shocked the hell out of me. A much simpler and easier solution if you want it richer sound than what it comes with which is the 5E.

Anyone have or had a Technics SL-1200 MK2 and can tell me what they think about it.

....I'm thinking of picking a used one up (like new condition). It is a few years old and has been used as a home player not a DJ table. I've read its good for both....anyways the cost will be around $400...Worth the price or should I just get a Pro-Ject Debut for that price.....

[image]