Help me build my set up from the ground up!

So, I'm currently trying to build up my turntable set up from the ground up. Here's what I have so far:

Updated 05/08/2012

Receiver: Pioneer Stereo Receiver Model SX-3800

Turntable: Stanton T55

Here's what I still need:

Speakers: TBD

Not a serious conflict, but could use some recommendations for some speakers in the $200 dollar range that would complement this set up.

Recently upgraded your (bookshelf) speakers and have any equipment you don't use that was reliable? Hit me up, and maybe I can pick it up off of you.

Thanks in advance

I'd also like to stay within a 200 dollar range for the turntable expenses. I'm really in no position to spend 600+ dollars on a whole set up. Maybe in the distant future... but for now, just want something decent set up that will be used for listening purposes in my bedroom.

I got my Pro-Ject for $245. Since the are phasing out the Debut III w/ the Carbon you should be able to find a sweet deal!

They're getting rid of the current model? Hm, still a little more than I'd like to spend at the moment. I think my biggest investment will probably be the speakers.

Thanks!

I got my Pro-Ject for $245. Since the are phasing out the Debut III w/ the Carbon you should be able to find a sweet deal!

is the Carbon better? What's different about it?

Carbon tonearm, which should be a big step up from the regular one, and a better cartridge. Of course the price will be higher as well (by €50 in EU).

Thanks again for these suggestions. I'll look around Audiogon and eBay and see if I can snag something similar to this. :)

Now that I have the receiver and the turntable figured out, the speakers is that last piece of the puzzle I need. Pumped.

I would say spend the extra cash on the turntable for now, especially if only an extra $45 gets you the Pro-ject Debut III. That's the table I have (paid $349) and I absolutely love it. As for speakers I got a pair of these and couldn't be happier:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V2UBSI/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

I've seen them for less than that on occasion, you can get a steal on a used pair of these. In my opinion it's almost always worth spending the extra cash now and not having to replace or upgrade your table/speaker two years down the road.

I would say spend the extra cash on the turntable for now, especially if only an extra $45 gets you the Pro-ject Debut III. That's the table I have (paid $349) and I absolutely love it. As for speakers I got a pair of these and couldn't be happier:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V2UBSI/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

I've seen them for less than that on occasion, you can get a steal on a used pair of these. In my opinion it's almost always worth spending the extra cash now and not having to replace or upgrade your table/speaker two years down the road.

Thanks for the speaker suggestion! :)

Do these work well without a sub? I see that Amazon suggests adding them both? just curious if you use them with or without a sub.

Edit: Found these on black for significantly cheaper on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-RTi-A1-Black-Pr-Open-Box-2-Way-Bookshelf-Speaker-/160777723845?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item256f195fc5#ht_3616wt_902

Thanks for the speaker suggestion! :)

Do these work well without a sub? I see that Amazon suggests adding them both? just curious if you use them with or without a sub.

Edit: Found these on black for significantly cheaper on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-RTi-A1-Black-Pr-Open-Box-2-Way-Bookshelf-Speaker-/160777723845?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item256f195fc5#ht_3616wt_902

Nice find. I think they have plenty of bass for what I listen to (mostly indie, folk, ambient, punk, some electronic, etc.). A sub would fill it out nicely but definitely not necessary. I'm just running through an older Marantz receiver too, so I would highly recommend these speakers.

• 2 weeks later...