looking for a higher end table w/ lid

Semi-long story but I have available a MINT, less than 30 hours, MMF 5.1 in Piano Black, Serial Number 000175 with Goldring 1012 GX with all original packaging and accessories. This was purchased from someone who received it as a Christmast gift in 2007 but never used it because he did not have any records. He put the box in a closet and four years later put a ad on craigslist boston. I checked it out and purchased this from him about 3 months ago for $600, set it up and started breaking in the unit.

Then wouldn't you know it, but one week later I see a craigslist ad for a lightly banged up MMF 5.1SE (wood finish version) for cheap and bought the unit, no questions asked. Added a power supply, skate-weight and this piece of art has been working great and meets all my needs. Now the black MMF 5.1 is sitting in my basement.

I will sell the new, Piano Black MMF 5.1 complete unit for $600 (what I paid) + shipping/fees.

Or I will take the Goldring cartidge off and sell the unit for $420 + shipping and fees.

My e-mail is [email protected] if you are interested. Of course this comes with a heavy duty dustcover, your original request. Ideally I would like to keep the cartridge for myself but we can discuss the issue.

Semi-long story but I have available a MINT, less than 30 hours, MMF 5.1 in Piano Black, Serial Number 000175 with Goldring 1012 GX with all original packaging and accessories. This was purchased from someone who received it as a Christmast gift in 2007 but never used it because he did not have any records. He put the box in a closet and four years later put a ad on craigslist boston. I checked it out and purchased this from him about 3 months ago for $600, set it up and started breaking in the unit.

Then wouldn't you know it, but one week later I see a craigslist ad for a lightly banged up MMF 5.1SE for cheap and bought it, no questions asked. Added a power supply, skate-weight and this unit has been working great and meets all my needs. Now the black MMF 5.1 is sitting in my basement.

I will sell the complete unit for $600 (what I paid) + shipping/fees. Or I will take the Goldring cartidge off and sell you the unit for $420 + shipping and fees. My e-mail is [email protected] if you are interested. Of course this comes with a heavy duty dustcover, your original request. Ideally I would like to keep the cartridge for myself but we can discuss the issue.

I know this is $100 more (plus shipping) than what you're looking for, but this is a deal and a half. Considering the low hours on both the table and the cart, there's a good chance that if you go this route, you'll never feel the need to upgrade again.

Of course, to maximize the TT's full potential, you'll need to eventually match it with some nicer speakers / amp / pre-amp / etc etc. It's a slippery slope, I know, but this gives you a really strong foundation from which to build.

Then wouldn't you know it, but one week later I see a craigslist ad for a lightly banged up MMF 5.1SE for cheap and bought it, no questions asked. Added a power supply, skate-weight and this unit has been working great and meets all my needs.

Here is the photo of my keeper mentioned above. The best thing about the MMF is the simple level bubble. I splurged on a acrylic platter, rek-o-deck weight and a rega 45 adapter. Then spent $125 on a high end Phono Cable from Morrow Audio. All this combined with the HK 3390 (as I mentioned in another thread and is on sale for $229) gives me what I want.

[image]

i have a technics sl-1400 direct drive.

i love it, and it sounds great with my grado cartridge on it.

i'd totally recommend this to anyone with rambunctious cats.

edit:

they're vintage, by the way, so finding one might be tricky, but it's a great table.

There's actually a fully restored sl-1400 for sale at Lunchbox Records in Charlotte, NC right this very second. I literally just saw it an hour ago. $150 bones ... and I know the guy who did the restoration and he knows his turntable shit. But yeah ... anyone in my neck of the woods, there ya go!

Slightly off topic, but mac1 mentioned high-end audio cables and I thought that I'd chime in with a few good, cheaper options.

There's a lot of debate as to whether you should spend much money on expensive interconnects and if it really affects the sound in a perceptible way. I'm not sure which way I lean, but most people will agree that well-shielded, low-capacitance cables are best.

A shielded cable should theoretically cut down on hum or interference. As for capacitance, I won't get into the technicalities, but generally speaking, increasing capacitance can alter the sound of your setup. Nothing super drastic ... it's more like a change in tonality that contributes to the roll off of higher frequencies.

Similarly - and again, way off topic - you can decrease the resistive load of your phono stage by adding a resistor in parallel (fun experiments here: http://daveyw.edsstuff.org/vinyl/loading/) and alter the tonality that way.

Shit is crazy and I'm sure you're all bored to tears now, but the point is if you're really interested in upgrading to some nicer interconnects, check out Blue Jeans Cable. You can get 2 - 3 feet of cable for about $30 ...

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

Even cheaper (dirt cheap, actually) are monoprice cables. I don't know about shielding, but I know people who have measure the capacitance and it's very low.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218#1021814