Cartridge install help

So I ended up getting a Shure m97xe, and got it installed, but it looks like it is tracking too heavy. I took the counterweight off to try to reset it, but it still seems too heavy or light. Any suggestions, or should I just get a track force gauge?

What model turntable? Many have clearly marked dials to set the tracking force. Generally speaking, set the dial to "0" and adjust the counter weight so that your tonearm is balanced, floating parallel to the platter. Then, set your tracking force to the cartridge's recommended weight. It's probably something like 1.5 grams for the m97xe, but double check on that. If your TT has anti-skate, you usually set that to the same number as the tracking force.

If you want to double check, then sure ... get a tracking force gauge. I've got the Shure SFG-2 Stylus Force Gauge and it's pretty simple and relatively accurate.

Now, if your turntable doesn't have dial to set the tracking force, then of course ... buy the gauge. You can't really set it by simply looking at the cartridge. I mean, you could guess based on how it sounds and how well your tonearm is tracking, but it's still smart to double check that shit. You could be tracking really heavy and not realize it.

I have a AT PL-120. It has a clear labeled dial, but you can turn the the part that has the tracking grams on it and it does not change the weight.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/literature/9c88e62be89b0c74/p51612_01reva_at_pl120.pdf

Follow the instructions for "Setting Tone Arm Balance and Tracking Force" on page 6. If you do this and then set the tracking force dial to .75 - 1.5 grams (the manufacturer's recommended tracking force) and you should be good to go. Here's a nice video that demonstrates the process:

If the stylus is skipping all over the place, you can certainly attempt to increase the tracking force. Still, don't know how you can tell if it's too heavy just by looking at it ... unless the bottom of the cart is a sliver away from scraping the record. You'd need a lot of extra weight for that to happen though.

By all means, buy a tracking force gauge to double check, but if you've set up everything correctly and you've got the dial at 1.5, that's what it should be.

the only other thing I can think of is that you're VTA and cartridge alignment is off. To make sure that you've got the correct overhang, use a protractor to adjust the alignment (loosen the screws in the headshell that hold the cart in place and move the cart forward / back as needed) . It may seem complicated, but it's really not. You can download the Baerwald protractor (easiest, most common protractor) here: http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml

and there is a use guide here: http://www.vinylengine.com/protractor-user-guide.shtml

As for Vertical Tracking Angle (VTA), you have the ability to move the tonearm base up and down in order to achieve the correct angle for the stylus to sit in the groove. Basically, the top of the cartridge (and thusly, the tonearm) should be perfectly level with the record. If it's not, adjust the height accordingly. Again, refer to page six in your manual for specific instructions.

If you're still having issues after all this, I'm not sure what to tell you. I suppose there could be a problem with the cartridge itself. I wish that I could be there in person to help out, but obviously that's not possible.