Cleaning Your Records

I have the KAB EV-1 machine. It hooks up to a vacuum and is all manual. I got it for pretty cheap second hand and couldn't be happier. It does a incredible job.

I use the MoFi Super Record Wash fluid. One 32oz bottle cleans a shit ton of records. Never kept track but it well into the couple hundreds. And to brush that on I use a Nitty Gritty velvet brush.

I used to use the kitchen sink method, but this way is much faster and in my experience a better cleaning. The vacuum aspect is what makes the difference.

I tried wood glue twice, destroying both records. I know the problem was my fault. I wasn't able to lift all the glue out of the grooves.

I use audio technica's cleaning spray and their brushes (2 kinds) to get normal dust off. I often brush records before and after using them. My collection is mostly dust/click/pop free.

If I purchase a dirty used record, I use AT's cleaning fluid with their more serrated edged brush.

I tried wood glue twice, destroying both records. I know the problem was my fault. I wasn't able to lift all the glue out of the grooves.

I use audio technica's cleaning spray and their brushes (2 kinds) to get normal dust off. I often brush records before and after using them. My collection is mostly dust/click/pop free.

If I purchase a dirty used record, I use AT's cleaning fluid with their more serrated edged brush.

it all depends on what kind of wood glue you use

i think

I have been fine, and I have even used it on picture discs

Sorry dudes! Cancer research > audio research.

Whose got some good homemade spray concoctions?

Here's the biggest issue with home brewed. You want ultra pure water as a base. Like, distilled, triple deionized, autoclaved water. That's hard to get unless you work in a lab. The second biggest issue is the alcohol you use, you want it to also be lab-grade. 99.9% pure. The stuff you buy at CVS is not good, has a lot of extra to it (its diluted with tap water almost!). The 3rd issue is the surfactant... again, lab grade chemical.

not interested in $500 machines that's just lunacy. Am going to go with the distiller water, isoprypol alcohol 91-99% and a few drops of soap. Will probably use less than suggested alcohol. For someone who buys 99% used records this is a quick fix.

You have over 1,000 records. If you invested that much money into records, invest into taking care of them, and more importantly, your stylus. It's far from lunacy. Your home brew is lunacy. You don't know what you're putting on your records, as you don't understand what chemicals you're using.

But I'm apparently a lunatic.

Am going to go with the distiller water, isoprypol alcohol 91-99% and a few drops of soap.
Uh, I'm not using any chemicals, that's the point.
you're not a lunatic apparently you're a scientist who doesn't want to tell us how to make our own cleaner nor where to buy this one you've created.

Here's the biggest issue with home brewed. You want ultra pure water as a base. Like, distilled, triple deionized, autoclaved water. That's hard to get unless you work in a lab. The second biggest issue is the alcohol you use, you want it to also be lab-grade. 99.9% pure. The stuff you buy at CVS is not good, has a lot of extra to it (its diluted with tap water almost!). The 3rd issue is the surfactant... again, lab grade chemical.