my new setup

i don't think that's the case, look at the far right piece, it's got the little plastic pieces for resting a horizontal shelf on. what is probably the issue is he didn't put the backing cardboard on the shelf. people don't realize this is an ESSENTIAL piece of putting those things together. it's the support for the whole structure that keeps it from falling over like that.

nope, that is the ikea expedit, i have the exact same one

those are dowels and they keep the whole thing together

there is no cardboard backing for it

i would imagine the long boards are meant to be horizontal and the shorter ones vertical. this way the weight of all the records is evenly distributed throughout all of the shorter boards through the one long board. the setup in robotnerd's photo is no exception. but who the hell knows, i dont own anything special for my records.

i'm sorry, but those aren't dowels. you can see it extend under the records. and the little plastic pieces on the side used to hold up the shelves are standard "flat on top, angled brace on bottom" shape.

whatever dude, ive put one of those exact shelving units together before, i know those are dowels, theres no way in hell you can possibly tell those little things are flat on one side

• 2 weeks later...

Since I love looking at other people's shelves, I thought I'd post mine:

[image]

[image]

Obviously I'm a fan of keeping things vertical to free up other space.

The first (vinyl) came with the house and the second (CD's) is mostly a Prepac Double Width Barrister Audio Video Storage Rack (~$150 ppd) that I can recommend since it's treated me very well for the last few years.

Now let's see some more shelving pictures, I'm gonna have to move eventually!

I might have to pick up one of those CD shelves, about how many CD's would you say you got in there?

It fits 800 CD's (full jewel cases). I think the one drawback is that bottom shelf is a tiny bit shorter than the rest... destroys the symmetry.

I love the vinyl shelf, you even have alphabetical tags!

I made the 7" separators/labels (paper and clear packing tape!) nearly 10 years ago. Some nice folks at the old Wax Trax in Boulder, CO gave me the LP separators (with one side still unlabeled) from old bands that they no longer stocked.

• 3 weeks later...
Nevermind, I believe I just found them.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40102978

I just took a look at one of those boxes, they are called Dragby, they measure 40x30x20 cm, the order number from Ikea is 101.102.96 (all from a tack under the box).

I dunno if they available in the US though, I bought them at Ikea in Germany