Bookshelf Speakers?

Would bookshelf speakers be a good way to go for a cheap, good sounding set up?

I have heard only positive things about polk speakers, but what is everyones experience with bookshelf speakers?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ele/3004772289.html. Craigslist Polk bookshelf speakers for 50$

There are $100-$10,000 bookshelf speakers. It's not the design that determines the price, but the actual product. $50 bookshelf speakers will sound just as bad as $50 floor standings, you know?

But you can buy quality bookshelves. Don't let their size fool you.

what would you recommend? Second hand/cheap (60-150) preferably.

I had the Boston Acoustic HS 40 Bookshelf speakers. I think I originally bought them for about $120 (they are even cheaper now). I wanted something small and these were recommended for my budget which I think I maxed out at about $150. They are good speakers, they are better speakers if you don't put them in a bookshelf (or at least an open bookshelf. I've since moved on to floor speakers and am happier with the results.

If you are strictly looking within a budget, you'll probably do better buying used vintage floor speakers off craigslist. If you are strictly looking at bookshelf because they are compact, I'd recommend those for your budget.

I've also been researching some new bookshelfs for a while. Does anybody recommend one out of these?

Polk (Audio Monitors)

Wharfedale (Diamond 10.1)

Klipsch

Paradigm

B&W

Sony (SS-B3000)

Dynaco (A-25 or A-10)

Advent

KLH (Model 5, 6, 17 or 24)

Boston Acoustics (Model A-40, A-60 or A-70)

Infinity (Qe or RSe)

Realistic (Mach series)

Any reccomendations for a vintage-looking speaker? I have an older turntable I want to replace the speakers on and am looking for something that won't look too obviously new.

Here is my table:

img_1913.jpg

My best suggestion would be to hit up craigslist, most of the speakers there are bargins. In my area there are quite a few good floor speakers that are vintage and have really good reviews

thank you for that! I've thought about it. I've been avoiding craiglist ever since I rented a room from a fellow who turned out to be a wealthy crack dealer. hahaha another story for another time...

mostly im trying to see if there is something new but vintage looking if that makes any since.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/ele/3051177492.html

I don't know about this brand, but it's a pretty good sampling of what craigslist has to offer. 120$ for used stuff goes alot farther then 120$ on amazon. I hate waiting for shipping as well!

I've also been researching some new bookshelfs for a while. Does anybody recommend one out of these?

Polk (Audio Monitors)

Wharfedale (Diamond 10.1)

Klipsch

Paradigm

B&W

Sony (SS-B3000)

Dynaco (A-25 or A-10)

Advent

KLH (Model 5, 6, 17 or 24)

Boston Acoustics (Model A-40, A-60 or A-70)

Infinity (Qe or RSe)

Realistic (Mach series)

B&W and Paradigm off that list. The Boston Acoustics you mentioned aren't the best. VRM-60s are the only BA bookshelves worth using.