Stanton T55 Turntable Questions

So I've been working on my set up for a bit now and I've so far, I've acquired a turntable (Stanton T55) and a receiver (Pioneer Stereo Receiver Model SX-3800). This thread is specifically about the turntable.

Question #1: One thing that's been bothering me about this turntable is the dust. This thing doesn't have a dust cover / shell and I wish I would have invested in one that did. The dust that sits on the slip mat and the turntable is disturbing and I haven't even officially spun anything on this TT yet (since I still have to get a pair of speakers). Any suggestions on how I can fix this? Although highly unlikely, are there any universal dust covers / shells that I could look into?

Question #2: Another thing I've been curios about is the cartridge that came equipped with the turntable. It's a Stanton 500 V3 Cartridge. Does anyone know if this cartridge / needle is worthwhile or is it something that definitely needs to be replaced? In terms of replacing it, this cartridge simple just screws off of the tone arm. Do all cartridges screw off / on as simply or are there things I need to look into before I purchase another cartridge / needle? How do I know what category from the following website best fits my needs?

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Phono-Cartridges

Question #3: The weight balance on the tone arm has also brought some questions that I'd like some help with as well. The Stanton T55 is promoted as a DJ turntable and I've heard that the weight recommendations for this turntable in particular are much heavier than what I'd need. Can anyone give me a breakdown of how I should go about setting up the weight on the tone arm for this table in particular?

If any more questions arise, I'll update this thread. Thanks for the help / input guys.

I have pretty much the same Stanton table and although I'm no expert by any means, I'll try to answer your question.

1. I had a similar Stanton table before the one I have now that had hinges on the back for a dust cover that I was able to order separately. Unfortunately this one doesn't have that. I have a cat also so it makes things alot worse especially now that it's summer and she's started shedding. Basically I use a generic lint roller to remove any dust, debris, or pet hair that may be on the slipmat before playing. I also use a brush like this http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-LP-record-clean-brush/dp/B0006VMBHI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338784567&sr=1-1 which is made to be used on new or clean records to remove dust and surface chemicals before playback. Never had a problem with skips or pops caused by dust myself even without the dust cover.

2. I've never really been satisfied with stock cartridges, so I picked up the Shure m97xe. A lot of people either prefer that or the Ortofon Red for the price. I love ordering everything from amazon cause you can seriously just try it out for a couple weeks and return it if it's not for you. You can keep the headshell (the part that screws into the tonearm) for the stanton cartridge and just remove the cartridge part and replace it with pretty much anything.

3. Pick up a tracking force gauge like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SFG-2-Stylus-Tracking-Force/dp/B00006I5SD. It's going to be impossible to tell how much weight you are applying without it, other than just trying to listen and see what sounds best. But even then you could be doing damage to the records/stylus. The shure's ideal weight is like .75-1.5 grams or something, think I have mine set to 1 gram and it sounds great. The shure also comes with a protractor to line it up where the needle should hit the record. Fairly easy install/calibration.

Hope this helps somewhat.

#1. Cheap solution. Go buy a .25 cent record from GoodWill and keep it on the turntable at all times. You can buy a custom acrylic cover for about $60, or make one yourself if you're handy. Dustcovers are actually bad for record play back. If you notice, high end tables don't come with one. They are only good for when the turntable isn't in use.

#2. Besides the 2 screws there are also 4 wires that connect the tonearm to the cartridge. If you have a local hi-fi shop, I'd recommend letting them change your cartridge.

#3. Yanquiuxo makes a solid point.

• 3 months later...

I have pretty much the same Stanton table and although I'm no expert by any means, I'll try to answer your question.

So I've been working on my set up for a bit now and I've so far, I've acquired a turntable (Stanton T55)

I just have a question for both you guys, I've had a Stanton T52 for awhile now and the straight tone arm makes me really paranoid. I mean, I have the screws lined up correctly on the dots so the cartridge isn't straight but I'm still scared I'm damaging records.

Am I worrying for nothing?

I've just always been under the impression that since the Stanton is a DJ table the straight tone arm does more damage to a record.

You're sort of correct, but it has nothing to do with the straight tonearm. As ajxd said, straight tonearms are fine ... as long as there's proper overhang (the distance that the tonearm hangs when placed over the center spindle ... about 1/2") and cartridge offset angle (about 18 degrees).

If it's the turntable I've got in my head, the T52 has a perfectly straight, too-short-for-correct overhang tonearm. It's a DJ table designed for back-cueing (scratching) and not much else. You can't properly align it and essentially your stylus is fighting the groove rather than flowing with it.

The best thing you can do is to use a spherical / conical stylus and try not to play any of your records more than once or twice. In the meantime, save your pennies for something you can properly align. Even one of the cheap-o Audio-Technica decks would be better.

You're sort of correct, but it has nothing to do with the straight tonearm. As ajxd said, straight tonearms are fine ... as long as there's proper overhang (the distance that the tonearm hangs when placed over the center spindle ... about 1/2") and cartridge offset angle (about 18 degrees).

If it's the turntable I've got in my head, the T52 has a perfectly straight, too-short-for-correct overhang tonearm. It's a DJ table designed for back-cueing (scratching) and not much else. You can't properly align it and essentially your stylus is fighting the groove rather than flowing with it.

The best thing you can do is to use a spherical / conical stylus and try not to play any of your records more than once or twice. In the meantime, save your pennies for something you can properly align. Even one of the cheap-o Audio-Technica decks would be better.

Here's my model, http://www.stantondj...tables/t52.html

and here's the one the OP mentioned, http://www.stantondj...les/t55usb.html

I am actually using an Audio-Technica AT3482P conical P-mount cartridge.

Am I still causing devastating damage to my records?