New Cartridge, Massive Distortion.

I was going to suggest VTA as well. I wrote about it in a post a few weeks ago, so I'll just paste that paragraph below ...

"As for Vertical Tracking Angle (VTA), you have the ability to move the tonearm base up and down in order to achieve the correct angle for the stylus to sit in the groove. Basically, the top of the cartridge (and thusly, the tonearm) should be perfectly level with the record. If it's not, adjust the height accordingly."

What model Thorens do you have? I would suggest signing up on VinylEngine.com and downloading the user manual. That should help with alignment, vta and all that jazz.

As ajxd mentioned, maybe when you installed the cart, you crossed up some of the wires. I'd double check that too.

Did you try cleaning the stylus? Sounds simple, but I think a lot of kids don't even think about that, and if you've got a big fuzz ball built up around the stylus, that sure as shit will make it sound like crap.

I've got a Thorens TD-295 mk III. I've got the physical manual here. It doesn't seem that the VTA is adjustable on it. Cleaned the stylus multiple times, cords still correct. I'm not an idiot, and I've been playing records for years, and changed carts before with no issue. I feel crazy. Might just take it to a local high end audio shop to see what they think. If I've gotta replace the cart or stylus again I'm going to be pissed.