Pioneer cs-905 speakers

I acquired a pair of these old speakers from my aunt and uncle, but I need to find a receiver that will power them. The back of them says 8 ohms, 100 watts average and 400 max. Which number should I pay most attention to when buying a receiver, and do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should be looking at? My friend told me I should look at older receivers.

Any receiver will power them, but a more powerful receiver will power them and make them sound better.

Don't get caught up with the Max power ratings on receivers or amps. At 400watts max you are going to have a very hard time blowing them with any amp.

I'd recommend you pick up a 70's era Marantz or Pioneer. Even the old silver Kenwoods are very nice and are the cheaper of the 2 brands.

Also keep in mind that a 1977 receiver rated at 50 w per channel will be more powerful then a 2010 receiver claiming the same thing. I dont know why but it is the case. Possible has something to do with the lower volumes putting out higher power then ones these days.

Nice speakers!