Help a rookie out

For my entire existence buying records, I've skimped on the player itself, figuring being able to listen to them in some capacity is good enough (though the whole time knowing this was dumb).

But anyway. I fell into a Kenwood KR-A5040 receiver and some Technics floor speakers, some pretty big ones. I wired them into the receiver, plugged in my shitty Ion TT (it's not their basic one, but it's still absolutely awful), and...!

The speakers sound like they're either completely bogged down by something, or like they have so much power running into them they're about to explode. The volume fluxuates some and it's very gritty sounding.

My first guess is that somewhere a grounding wire needs to be put in place, but honestly I have no fuckin idea. Before I was going shitty TT into pretty good computer speakers.

Notes:

-I obviously need a better TT and I'm hoping my birthday at the end of next month will take care of that.

-I've never tested the speakers with anything besides the record player, so... I'm not even sure if they're just shot, but I highly doubt it.

HELP!

Thanks.

Foam of the driver?

The TTU is plugged into the phono channel.

Trying it with my computer right now, it's clear, but the sound is still fluxuating. I think grounding the record player would help, but there's still an issue with the fluxuation in the volume. Much, much clearer, so the speakers work.